Sign in to follow this  
blayze

Changes to surface mining

With surface mining and the last change to concrete (cant raise the rock layer past 25 on pvp and 40 on pve), it has created issues where there is terrain that is not able to be mined even with 100 mining skill. This is really annoying and go against the sandbox feel of the game (unmodifiable terrain). Creating slopes that can not be mined is extremely easy to do and are permanent in a good number of cases.

Some examples of how this can happen are the following.

- Open a mine entrance. With this the second lowest corner goes down to the lowest one which can easily create slopes past 100. This can be used to create spikes and horrible non fixable terrain.

- Cliff sides. Often cliffs have slopes greater than 100 naturally.

- Surface mine past your skill.

- Valrei events.

What I suggest is to allow surface mining on slope greater than your skill but with greatly increased difficulty. This would also only work if the steepest slope becomes smaller. (has edge cases) This would only work if none of the slopes would increase past what you are able to mine. (same thing but no edge cases)

This would not cause issues like the ones that were abused with concrete because you will not be able to make a pit deeper than you would be able to do currently. It would also still punish people for creating these things like this as it would take a lot of effort to fix the issues.

An example of how it might work would be:

Within skill range (slope is less than your skill): 20% chance

Outside of skill range: 5% chance or more / increased difficulty based on skill/slope

I support the current change that was done to surface mining and this would really just be something that would be added onto it.

TLDR. Here is a picture, the O represents where you would surface mine and the place would be steeper than your skill would currently allow.

12d64ae1f0.png

And for the devs who have a lot of things to do you could use the following http://pastebin.com/BeCiiq17. (needs testing)

Edited by blayze
  • Like 3

Some places where this might have helped on old affliction and can still help on JKH and MRH and many other servers.

VCVGELq.png

vGp0w5Il.jpg

Edited by blayze
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TradingAlt said:

those slopes are modifyable you just gotta know what you are doing ;)

Correct, but its unintuitive. (and he knows how too.)

Edited by Propheteer

23 minutes ago, TradingAlt said:

those slopes are modifyable you just gotta know what you are doing ;)

If you talking about the mine entrance trick, that does not work if you make a 1 corner spike or a ^ shaped spike, ect.. The only way to fix these would be a crazy amount of sculpting wands which shouldn't be necessary.

Edited by blayze