Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

Don't limit Rift resources like they're dragonscale

I believe having them as limited resource is against core concepts of the game. One way would be to limit their lifetime instead of quantity. And since runes require very high skills, they'd still be tradable.

Having to be on the rift list to harvest would be nice.

Going to the rift and before last mob is dead and hearts sac. Alts or players are waiting to harvest the nodes.

I know some will think this is not fair to lower skill players , but I would love to have a chance to harvest also.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Having to be on the rift list to harvest would be nice.

Going to the rift and before last mob is dead and hearts sac. Alts or players are waiting to harvest the nodes.

I know some will think this is not fair to lower skill players , but I would love to have a chance to harvest also.

Yeah i can see incredible corruption in the current system.
anyone can reap the rift resources (rewards) once its sealed. 
my attendance has been rare so I've not seen the problem occur yet, but now 1.3 is out, it surely will.

+1

I don't do rifts but it sounds logical that the people overcoming the challenge to unlock the rift materials also gets them.

Edit: Screw the parasitic freeloaders 

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

Fighting the rift as a requirement is perfectly fine, fighting for rift resources isn't.

• Like 2

Easy fix: mini rifts that spawn more frequently and can be done by 3-10 people with reduced rewards and rift resources. Gives more people a chance to do them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aeryck said:

Easy fix: mini rifts that spawn more frequently and can be done by 3-10 people with reduced rewards and rift resources. Gives more people a chance to do them.

hm i can see that working.

3man rifts that only spawn some resources for runes.

1 hour ago, zigozag said:

fighting for rift resources isn't.

yea it is.

Can't say this impacts me (never been able to harvest from a rift and I don't bring alts though I know other priests who do), but it does sound like it needs fixing.

Why not directly link the amount you can harvest to participation?  Something like participation/10 so the more you particpate the more you can harvest.

The only balance issue with this is the high participation generated by LoF casts, but since fo priests can't harvest rift resources their high participation won't throw this off (unless they sacrifice an insane amount of their faith which is fair enough really).

The mini rifts sound amazing, I would love these to be a thing.

3 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

but since fo priests can't harvest rift resources their high participation won't throw this off (unless they sacrifice an insane amount of their faith which is fair enough really).

You think Fo is the only priest type able to cast LoF? there is 3.

(and yes i know that makes 0 sense)

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

You think Fo is the only priest type able to cast LoF? there is 3.

(and yes i know that makes 0 sense)

Ah yes, I forgot to take into account the broken player gods.  A simple solution would be preventing someone from gathering if they have cast LoF at a rift ^_^

17 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Ah yes, I forgot to take into account the broken player gods.  A simple solution would be preventing someone from gathering if they have cast LoF at a rift ^_^

Yea instead of nerfing the participation bonus that is overly big... makes sense.... right? right?

I don't think rift resources should be a problem because they were supposed to spawn randomly in the world iirc?

just need that to happen and them to not get blocked by active rifts, np

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

Yea instead of nerfing the participation bonus that is overly big... makes sense.... right? right?

They could go that way too, though with priest QoL as low as it currently is they'd be wise to offer some concession in return; something the wurm devs are notorious for not doing.

There's ideas in the works for this, but our first desire is to see how they go with just the current system, so more feedback on whether thats too limited or causes issues would be great.

If you've been to a rift, and not been able to mine some resources, or there were hassles doing so, what happened?

20 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

If you've been to a rift, and not been able to mine some resources, or there were hassles doing so, what happened?

You either have to quit sacrificing and claim a tree/rock/crystal or hope there is one left by the time you get there. Last 2 I staked out a few trees and only got about half the second harvested before everything was gone.

Another problem was the terrain; a few brave souls climbed down the mountain to harvest but half the materials at one were only accessible if you planned to teleport home.

There are those who were too badly beaten up or lost horses or were half asleep during the 45 second resource scramble to harvest too.

I would prefer if every rift resource allowed 5 harvests per person as long as you had the skill and were on the rift scorecard. Then they could decay after 24 hours or something.

Edited by Aeryck

13 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

I would prefer if every rift resource allowed 5 harvests per person

this would be a nerf to those that do things fairly (epic) or don't have many people (epic) so I wouldn't want something like that

• Like 2

rift resources limited to high end players seems like a bad idea. get more of this stuff out there, this game is hard enough to limit stuff and make this game even more about making money of people with less free time.

same with the bees, the highest QL hive gets the queen. i know people that cant get bees because people are "stealing" queens.

i agree with the OP, make it easier and more accessible for all.

too many things already limited to high end players.,,.

17 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

this would be a nerf to those that do things fairly (epic) or don't have many people (epic) so I wouldn't want something like that

Also if people leave without mining it then there is no way to get rid of the items. Then you can also bring 5 or 6 alts and you will get more than anyone else.

I'v been to quite a few rifts and I don't really see a problem with it. Sure the rifts on big servers such as inde and crazy with lots of people but if you go to different servers such as pristine/cele, there are a lot less people. There is also a equal time for all players after a rift to harvest the stuff so I don't see a problem with it. If you have lower skill and cant get the materials then you might just want to skill whatever you need up as these were meant to be end game items not something you can casually get with alts. 

As for the general loot from killing things, you don't need to have a high end account to get items. The first rift I went to I had 70fs and like 5 huge axe skill and I was able to get 5 items. 

The only thing that might be an issue is LoF, the first one I went to someone casted it like 5 time and was 60+ points ahead of the person in first place who got on every kill. The amount of points you can get from a single cast seems broken.

ee846f1ecb.jpg

Edited by blayze

53 minutes ago, blayze said:

The only thing that might be an issue is LoF, the first one I went to someone casted it like 5 time and was 60+ points ahead of the person in first place who got on every kill. The amount of points you can get from a single cast seems broken.

LoF was brought up (by me the first rift after the change) and confirmed to not be a factor in loot, and it is a pita to run back and forth, stay alive, find the group that needs it... so hope you are not trying to say they do not deserve high credit.

i do agree we should have resources adjusted.  I would probably make more effort to attend if I had a chance to get some of the rift material, which is a lot more interesting to me than more moon metal or some useless shoulders/jewelry which cannot be repaired and very limited in use.  Looks like now the rifts are spread far enough apart in time that a large group of people attend each one and, as it was described, everything was camped before the rift was closed.

Maybe the mats could be only harvested by locals to the server, or those on the server for min 48 hours (not the best idea maybe, but something for the pile) as has been suggested for uniques and such before.

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

They're too limited so people jump on them ASAP and they end very soon. It's... not wurmish.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ClericGunem said:

Maybe the mats could be only harvested by locals to the server, or those on the server for min 48 hours (not the best idea maybe, but something for the pile) as has been suggested for uniques and such before.

I can only see this as a harmful change. The core of the problem that is brought up from this suggestion is that not everyone has a fair chance in getting the materials. So then why limit who can get the resources even more? Not everyone can go to the rift on their server, some of them are 4am or later for me so I have to sail to a different server so I can still do them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elroth said:

rift resources limited to high end players seems like a bad idea. get more of this stuff out there, this game is hard enough to limit stuff and make this game even more about making money of people with less free time.

same with the bees, the highest QL hive gets the queen. i know people that cant get bees because people are "stealing" queens.

i agree with the OP, make it easier and more accessible for all.

too many things already limited to high end players.,,.

Work your way up to be a high end account and reap the benefits, it's not rocket science. Are you also on food stamps?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blayze said:

I can only see this as a harmful change. The core of the problem that is brought up from this suggestion is that not everyone has a fair chance in getting the materials. So then why limit who can get the resources even more? Not everyone can go to the rift on their server, some of them are 4am or later for me so I have to sail to a different server so I can still do them.

I am not for limiting necessarily, but i admit to a bias/fondness of Rel and those who live here.  Since they seem to be gated by skills anyway the quantities should not be.  Someone (thanks Audrel) was nice enough to send me some wood to experiment with.  It was iirc 23 ql.  It was easy enough to make a rune, but max appears to be mat ql, which implies need to have high gathering plus some luck.  Making one was ~30% for my god. ie higher FC the better.  Then it was ~50% attach for a 23ql as my SD is probably very average.  made 5 runes from 7 pieces of wood, attached one, failed once, gave the others away.

So why is there a need to limit the quantity available to such extreme levels.  Understood it is end-game type stuff, but sounds more like a business for high skill players (assuming they camped the resources properly) than adding something more to craft.

Edited by ClericGunem
toned down my remarks, not meant to offend

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

There's ideas in the works for this, but our first desire is to see how they go with just the current system, so more feedback on whether thats too limited or causes issues would be great.

Hi there, fo priest.  No rift resources at all save those kind people have donated to me in thanks for healing (you know who you are, you have no idea how much I appreciate it).  Could do with one of the woods being linked to forestry rather than woodcutting.

An interesting observation, by the way, is that I've come top ranked in most rifts I've been to (burning a fortune in gems and cloth while at it) and the most I've gotten is 2 QL75 items and a moon metal, usually I get one item (which usually finds its way to one of the mundane healers because they work just as hard and deserve some contribution points...) and one moon metal.  That seems pretty reasonable (considering my record is 1002 contribution points which netted me 1 item :P )

Edited by Etherdrifter