Sign in to follow this  
OceanRefuge

allow lockpicking off deed

if lock picking off deed is against the rules if you didnt place the lock why is it possible ?  any idea .   let er rip....

I guess...either disable it on freedom properly or don't make it against the rules to do. We currently have a system where people -can- lockpick gates etc off deed but its against the rules. Seems silly that we have a halfway measure.

i don't like the fact, that if it is not allowed, the mechanics still let you do it. It should just not be possible to do it.

• Like 3

Its a bug and it was reported months back and even (supposed at least by a CA) to a dev directly. But any player who breaks this rule deserves at least a temp ban.

If its a bug thats dumb, makes more sense i suppose but i dunno about temp bans over warnings. Specially when a catapult or maul would somehow be legal O.o

2 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

If its a bug thats dumb, makes more sense i suppose but i dunno about temp bans over warnings. Specially when a catapult or maul would somehow be legal O.o

Dems the rules. When you log in you agree to them. But knowing them it would take an exceptional situation like intentionally lock picking into a pen and killing animals to get a ban.

Edited by Rasu

Sounds about right, i'm just concerned because i've lockpicked in the past goign through areas with disbanded deeds and (yes my own fault for not reading the rules) never considered that i might be breaking a rule.

1 minute ago, Rasu said:

Dems the rules. When you log in you agree to them. But knowing them it would take an exceptional situation like intentionally lock picking into a pen and killing animals to get a ban.

If some douche is going around picking into pens to slaughter animals on freedom, they should just be banned, at the very least it's being done to cause distress to the players, ie griefing.
Breaking rules you agree to is just unacceptable, a temp ban at the least for people doing such crap.

"ignorance of law excuses no one"

3 minutes ago, Shadz said:

"ignorance of law excuses no one"

Expecting from customers not to do something and writing bunch of rules instead of making mechanism that will prevent them excuses no programmers

• Like 2

I think this was a quick fix to prevent a larger issue.

Either this, or disallow lockpicking anything that you do not have ownership of on Freedom, to avoid issues.

1 hour ago, Rasu said:

Another example of priorities. Picking locks to things you don't own get a rule. Animals hitched past a certain age requires immediate code fixing. 

• Like 1

Lock picking gates on Freedom is sometimes really useful to do something good. I did it once to free player who logged in in fenced area after year break. 

• Like 4

I don't see reason that lockpicking should be prevented of deed, what you didnt't deed isn't yours, and it's not against the rules to bash, cata which is worse imo, can help with griefers. issue is with ships, carts and wagons though as it would be inconvinient to log of of deed and have your cart picked

Edited by kochinac

14 hours ago, OceanRefuge said:

if lock picking off deed is against the rules if you didnt place the lock why is it possible ?  any idea .   let er rip....

It's a left over relic from the early days of Freedom (Independence). Also used to be able to pick locks on bins off deed. Seemed to be much easier then with low skill too.

The ability to pick locks on the Freedom servers should be removed though. It has no place there and just leads to unnecessary abuses. Keep it to the pvp servers where players can do it all they wish and train it there as well.

=Ayes=

If you couldnt pick locks on fences or catapult them then whats to stop someone from building a fence one tile outside your entire perimeter and locking you inside your deed? "Hey, dont bash my fence or pick my lock. Its not yours."

18 minutes ago, Manik said:

If you couldnt pick locks on fences or catapult them then whats to stop someone from building a fence one tile outside your entire perimeter and locking you inside your deed? "Hey, dont bash my fence or pick my lock. Its not yours."

That one is strictly against the rules, unless things have changed. You can't purposefully block someone in on Freedom.

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud here.

A locked item as permissions. Doesn't that system keep your locked and managed items (carts, ships, wagons) protected? I mean, a lock is placed on it upon creation now. I don't believe you even have to attach one to a vehicle do you? Gates off deed can be catapulted so I see no reason that anything that can be exploded can't be picked. You can't catapult a structure. They should not be able to be picked open (and I do believe they are not possible to break into unless something is broken). Put your boxes in a shed. Don't rely on fences - that was even the case when Legal Enclosures existed. They were always vulnerable. 

Maybe @Retrogradecan comment on this?

I always thought that it should be server option, it would make the game more interesting. Imagine some of the WO freedom servers having this option and some don't. It would change the dynamic of the gameplay, now you'd actually have to worry about any public gatehouses or buildings.

TBH I would love to see lock-picking revamped into the new salvage system but I do not see that happening. (IE all carts, wagons, and boats become lock pick-able at 90+ damage) But I doubt they would even with some kind of oversight system that saved the logs of all salvages for review.

Edited by Rasu
  • Like 1

Animal ratios on deeds was put in for a purpose, to keep the number of domesticated animals down to a manageable size on the server. A lot of people create off deed pens to house animals of lesser value to skirt the added costs of having a larger deed. So if someone runs rampant in off-deed animal pens, is it griefing, senseless slaughter, or sensible animal management in keeping the server numbers in check of tax evading domesticated animals? If more people just had bigger deeds, or separate deeds for there massive animal hoarding habits there would be far lesser complaints about getting 'griefed' when someone goes crazy with a hunting axe.

I am fairly certain being able to pick locks is not a recent bug and know people who were doing it last year, I can see no difference in picking a gate off deed, especially a disbanded deed or taking a huge axe/large maul or catapult to it either way the result is the same. I myself tried picking gates before, but my miserable picking skills I found it much quicker to build a catapult from scratch or just stand there and smash the gate down.

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Animal ratios on deeds was put in for a purpose, to keep the number of domesticated animals down to a manageable size on the server. A lot of people create off deed pens to house animals of lesser value to skirt the added costs of having a larger deed. So if someone runs rampant in off-deed animal pens, is it griefing, senseless slaughter, or sensible animal management in keeping the server numbers in check of tax evading domesticated animals? If more people just had bigger deeds, or separate deeds for there massive animal hoarding habits there would be far lesser complaints about getting 'griefed' when someone goes crazy with a hunting axe.

I am fairly certain being able to pick locks is not a recent bug and know people who were doing it last year, I can see no difference in picking a gate off deed, especially a disbanded deed or taking a huge axe/large maul or catapult to it either way the result is the same. I myself tried picking gates before, but my miserable picking skills I found it much quicker to build a catapult from scratch or just stand there and smash the gate down.

There are no excuses to breaking into someones pen and killing the animals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I can see no difference in picking a gate off deed, especially a disbanded deed or taking a huge axe/large maul or catapult to it either way the result is the same.

This

3 minutes ago, Rasu said:

There are no excuses to breaking into someones pen and killing the animals.

This happened to mu friends ofdeed pen and it was not against the rules by gms iirc