Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

Farming on Xanadu is broken

Today, a week after sowing, i went to check my corn as usual and found it almost completely not ripe with about 1/4th being halfway. Were there any changes made to times or patterns of crops aging with the cooking update or after it? Or is this related to the number of server restarts during this week? I want to stress out that it has always been taking exactly a week to get the whole field to ripen.

PS. Perhaps the "almost ripe" tiles will get ripe later today, but the number of "halfway" tiles is very unusual.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 2

I was wondering the same after just shy of one week of real-time growing. Most of the test crops I planted of the new veggies are still growing. Most have been "stuck" in halfway with only a few popping to ripe as of today. As an avid farmer with 78 farming, my intuition was telling me "this stuff is taking a long time to mature". 

The same can be said of my main field with 100 tiles planted of grains last week Wednesday. 50 each of Wheat, Barley, Oats and Rye. Most of the tiles are halfway, others just came out of sprouting this morning. Oat field today:  "You see a farmer's field, which would render about 0 handfuls of oat. Small sprouts with many blades grow here. It could use a touch from the rake or some other farming tool." Thats after 6 days...

Perhaps this thread should be moved to Server Bugs.

• Like 3

I've been wondering the same. Crops seem to be growing very slowly, most not even getting as far as "almost ripe"...

I've not noticed any change in growing, and have harvested all my crops once already.  I do rake the fields daily, are you just waiting for them to grow?

• Like 1

I noticed today that a few of my fields I'd planted three days ago were still in the 'seeds' phase.  Others had grown and some ripened (that had been planted earlier), so it's apparently not consistent upon all farming tiles.

Vroom, when were your crops planted?

Monitor any fresh crops and see if the pattern is consistant.

I know a serious investigation might seem corny but if we're to find any leeks in the server code were going to need to melon out and take our time with the details.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Makarus said:

Vroom, when were your crops planted?

Monitor any fresh crops and see if the pattern is consistant.

I know a serious investigation might seem corny but if we're to find any leeks in the server code were going to need to melon out and take our time with the details.

Lettuce hope they didn't change it so it takes double or triple the length of time it takes for crops to grow. We'll have to fennel our resources and run some tests. If they did, it's a sign they may not carrot all. 

Edited by zethreal
Cabbage.
  • Like 3

Here you go:

Ticket : Validate crop growth time

Priority : Medium

Steps to reproduce :

• Lol, im not doing everything for you

Expected Result :

• Crop growth timer is consistent and not hindered by server resets or other functionality.

No changes to how they grow, could be just unlucky in the server polling or just noticing the outliers due to watched pot syndrome

• Like 1

No changes to how fast they grow. It may be simply unlucky.

there's an old saying, a watched pot never boils.

• Like 5

stealing this thread for the embark bug

just lost another horse because of it

please fix

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Aha, must be the opposite to the old "if you light a cigarette the bus will arrive".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

No changes to how fast they grow. It may be simply unlucky.

So, I guess I'm just unlucky that since the update I only see 1 or 2 fields that need tending each day - when before it was usually most of my small 30 tile farm plot.

I guess that Xanadu server is not behaving the same as before the update, as some resource threshold has been past with all the extra pots and trellises that need tracking for harvesting...

While to the impatient the watched pot seems to never boil, if it has the same amount of water and as hot a fire it boils just as fast as the unwatched one.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I hear what you are saying but we are not hovering over our crops for a week cheering them on. Cursing at them, maybe but checking them daily.

A new update with new crops was released and we are providing feedback based on our previous experience with growing crops. I will always entertain the caveat that we do not know what to expect from the new crops, my observations were on the "legacy" crops that I planted when I realized I was low on certain items via cooking update. As of this writing, I have harvested "legacy crops" from 12 of 100 tiles planted Tuesday and Wednesday of last week. The majority are in "halfway" status. So my best estimates are 10-14 days is the new "normal" not 3-5 days?

Food for thought: I cant tell you how many times I have asked IT guys when something breaks, "What changed?". No matter how many times I asked I got the same "Nothing changed" response. When we went back and looked together, guess what we found? A change! The moral of my story is, ask again and ask for data to back that up. Also, I am also willing to test this in further depth should the developers wish it. (Time stamps, crop type, daily tending, on deed and off, etc.) I'm not going to complain and not offer to help fix a problem. 

Respectfully,

Weatherwax

• Like 5

Is everybody who reported this so far on Xanadu? I know I am, so perhaps it's a server specific issue.

• Like 1

My crops on indy seem to be advancing at about a stage a day if not slightly faster (new crops).

33 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

Is everybody who reported this so far on Xanadu? I know I am, so perhaps it's a server specific issue.

I am.

I sort of sense a crop growing slowdown. Might just be my impatience to harvest and replant more of the new types though. Nice to see also that the crop harvest QL is now higher than farming skill (for those not in the 98+ skill range anyway).

=Ayes=

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

I sort of sense a crop growing slowdown. Might just be my impatience to harvest and replant more of the new types though. Nice to see also that the crop harvest QL is now higher than farming skill (for those not in the 98+ skill range anyway).

=Ayes=

Depending on the crop 'difficulty', though.  Crops below your skill get a boost, crops above lose a little it seems to me.  I do like the slight variance in quality applied to each tile's harvest though.

Crops seem to be growing normally on Exodus, old and new types.  Perhaps add 'Xanadu' and 'Time dilation' tags to the thread?

I'm on Xanadu as well, and have noticed a major drop in my cotton production. I was averaging about 100 cotton a day from my 72 tile plot, and now I'd be surprised to see half that. The number of 'untended' tiles that need to be farmed each day has also dropped to about half of what it was before the update. Worst string of bad luck I've seen...

Based on the last response, if you can honestly say you are doing exactly the same as prior to updates, and seeing a difference in yield, then something is possibly different on Xanadu, and worth investigating.

So i have a few questions;

1. Has this ever been tested? (see: automated)

2. Is there even such a system to test?