Sign in to follow this  
SallyIronside

[Fixed] Hot Food Cooking Skill Gain

37 meals cooked in an oven at 40 difficulty with 33.4 HFC skill gave only 0.021 skill gain with SB.  Is this really accurate?  At this rate it will take almost 1800 meals with SB to gain one full point in HFC.  If there is a better way to gain skill, then please provide your players some insight because this is just ridiculous.  At this rate, new players and even existing players who never bothered much with cooking will get easily frustrated and leave.  I thought the goal was to attract players, not push them away?  Please, please correct me if I'm wrong.  All I get from CA chat is "have fun exploring cooking" and "new game mechanics".  No guides?  No documentation?  Nothing?  Really?

What was the quality level of your pans, and what was the size of each skill tick? It's impossible to judge the situation without knowing that information.

NOTE: To get accurate size of each skill tick, you'll need your skill tab set to display all updates; you can change this in game settings.

Edited by Ostentatio

So you got skill ticks on... approximately 1/3 of the dishes? That in itself doesn't seem bad.

At 33 skill, 0.0017 skill per tick seems really small, though. Almost certainly smaller than it used to be. I think that's where the issue is.

Osten and I talked about this yesterday. My assumption (and hope) is that the difficulties have just changed and you need to find something more suitable for your skill.

I'm hoping so also, but I made 15 stews and 15 casseroles and got no gains.  Either way, if it is a bug I wanted to bring it forward so it could be looked into.  At this rate, channeling is almost easier to level. lol

I have been fooling around with cooking a bit as well, made probably about 30-40 different things by now. Not a single HFC skill gain yet. And plenty of these things with a difficulty that would have increased HFC skill in the past. HFC skill is around 45 I think. I'm probably doing something wrong. :)

• Like 1

Yes it got nerfed, below is a few days before, and right after the patch:

Logging started 2016-11-19 [16:26:16] Hot food cooking increased by 0.0035 to 78.3902
Logging started 2016-11-23 [00:05:17] Hot food cooking increased by 0.0001 to 78.3903

Sucks for those who didn't get 100hfc before the patch but you snooze you lose.

21 hours ago, SallyIronside said:

All I get from CA chat is "have fun exploring cooking" and "new game mechanics".  No guides?  No documentation?  Nothing?  Really?

From the original announcement post: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PhEhJkjNy-jl3_L5mdaQRVzyfdS7MfAt8_iNwSaHYYE/edit?usp=sharing

Some poor staff peon probably spent hours on that, no doubt with Retrograde shouting at him constantly about how there weren't enough pictures.

LOL

We should rename the Game from "WurmOnline" into "NerfedOnline"

I test it with my skill Forge:     My HFC is 95,5

before update I get around 0.13 skillgain per 100 Pans. filled with a small nail and filet and corn.   SB on

now i get for 100 Pans filled with filet and corn:               0.001   SB on     !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOLOLOLOL      difficult was 40 btw.

I really have noting to say anymore about this game and the devs.

Edited by Rocky

That's what I'm seeing as well. It seems that skill gain is about 1/100th of what it was before.

2 hours ago, Bix said:

This is true, but what about new players?  Do you really they will stick around when it takes over hundreds, if not almost a thousand, items they have to cook to go from 1.0 skill to 2.0?  This is the new reality and it may very well drive away any new players or existing players that didn't bother with cooking before.  Do we really have that large of a population of players for that to happen?

As for the guide, it is great for information about the patch and I have read it extensively, but it gives no clues on how to level up now.  Nor is it a primer for new players so they don't just throw up their hands in frustration and quit since food is life in this game and a low QL food item barely fills your food bar now.

These are my concerns and that is all I will say on the matter.  If the devs decide to listen fine.  If not, then I guess all those players that didn't "snooze" will be selling alot of high QL meals because no one else is really going to want to be forced to cook millions of meals to skill up.  Have fun exploring cooking (with no skill gains)! lol

10 hours ago, Bix said:

Yes it got nerfed, below is a few days before, and right after the patch:

Logging started 2016-11-19 [16:26:16] Hot food cooking increased by 0.0035 to 78.3902
Logging started 2016-11-23 [00:05:17] Hot food cooking increased by 0.0001 to 78.3903

Yeah, looks like tick size has been reduced to a frankly unreasonable degree.

I would say panfilling was probably too easy before, but this looks way, way too harsh in the other direction.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eobersig said:

I have been fooling around with cooking a bit as well, made probably about 30-40 different things by now. Not a single HFC skill gain yet. And plenty of these things with a difficulty that would have increased HFC skill in the past. HFC skill is around 45 I think. I'm probably doing something wrong. :)

Same for me, cooked all kinds of different stuff 2 days in row, my HFC is 49 and no single HFC skill gain ! Something wrong with this picture. Devs can you please clarify situation with HFC skill gain changes ! Thank you !

I had a bad filling they would nerf this to far.  They really should up this to at least half of what it was before. 

i cant believe it was nerfed so hard. there was no reason to nerf it at all. "heres the new cooking system go out there and cook". and then u get no skill gains:P

not sure what's going on with skillgain, but I have not been told it's intended or planned at any point, so I'll follow up and see if it's a bug.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wonka said:

From the original announcement post: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PhEhJkjNy-jl3_L5mdaQRVzyfdS7MfAt8_iNwSaHYYE/edit?usp=sharing

Some poor staff peon probably spent hours on that, no doubt with Retrograde shouting at him constantly about how there weren't enough pictures.

Pandalet wrote it while working with tich, I did no shouting!

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

not sure what's going on with skillgain, but I have not been told it's intended or planned at any point, so I'll follow up and see if it's a bug.

If not a bug (in my instinct it is as you should get skill while you cook) we need hints about what is considered as an activity to kearn cooking dishes. Ir shall we need to find the secret cook school in the deeps of uninhabited inland Xanadu mountains?

• Like 1

While I have my skill, I do see others that are just now playing with this.  They are not getting much gain at all for the dishes.  I'm not sure how anyone that is starting now will ever stand a chance at cooking a high quality meal.

I hadn't looked at HFC skill gain yet, until now, and oh lord... has HFC just become the worst skill. This can't seriously be intended.

[00:39:27] Hot food cooking increased by 0.0008 to 34.7378

That's from grinding spices, chopping vegetables, and cooking 3 meat curries. Whether or not statistically significant, that's 1250+ ticks for a full point.

Seems like there's quite a few things in this update, that is barred behind really painful to grind skills, too. For example rice wine, requires some 30-ish in Beverages, not very high, but which seems to be a create-only skill. And those are among the very worst to get up. I spent a whole day juicing strawberries to get to 30, I'm glad I decided to grow those for a couple of weeks before the update. :rolleyes:

And with juice/oil QL now always being around your skill, with no or next to no impact from higher fruit QL, the pros and cons are surfacing, as well as for forage/botanise QL. No more random high quality items on the one hand with low skill, consistent high quality items on the other with high skill. It's a weird realm where utmost insanity is so greatly rewarded haha ;)

Edited by Ulviirala

[08:14:49] Hot food cooking increased by 0.000099 to 89.135429   with SB on 40 difficulty.

[08:26:48] Hot food cooking increased by 0.0001 to 89.1355 with SB on 60 difficulty.

4 hours ago, Stormblade said:

[08:14:49] Hot food cooking increased by 0.000099 to 89.135429   with SB on 40 difficulty.

[08:26:48] Hot food cooking increased by 0.0001 to 89.1355 with SB on 60 difficulty.

EDIT: Never mind, just realized those two ticks are basically identical. Oops.

Edited by Ostentatio

I'm hoping that I didn't miss out on being able to get HFC gains and there is still a acceptable method to grind this. I have yet to find it so far however.