Sign in to follow this  
Friya

Bloodsuckers

Whoops! Deleted!

Vampires will be going live for testing in a week or two and I'd like to keep a bit of the mystery and at the same time, I expect things will change rather rapidly as this will unfold.

I'd like to thank all of you who discussed this on Zenath's GL, posted/PM'd (here or on Discord). A lot of your ideas are actually implemented or planned for the future <3

Edited by Friya
Would like to keep a bit of mystery!
  • Like 5

Oh my!

On one of my random thinking about wurm, I was pondering on vampires in wurm online, thinking they could fit in the world quite well and make plain use of the night / day mechanism - eclipses - underground buildings for lairs.

Glad to see something about them coming to life. Good luck in your coding.

14 hours ago, Friya said:

Oh, hey... That's actually a really good idea. I never really took it further than just day/night cycle, but actually paying attention to eclipses and perhaps other rare constellations could be pretty neat. I guess the only problem is figuring out exactly -how- they are affected, implementation should be fairly straight forward.

Thanks for wading through the wall of text!

Edited by Friya

I like it.. very creative.  As a side note, I'd like to suggest undead spawning at night on Zenath.  Maybe not even every night if there's a concern of it being too dangerous for new players.  However, personally I've always wanted to have skeletons, zombies, etc. spawn randomly at night only for added tension.

• Like 1

Back in 2010 I suggested adding unique creatures, vampires were one of them. Always figured they would be a mini-boss, very rare and spawn randomly. Vampirism never sounded like a good idea because of balance issues though.

If you do some sort of vampire vs vampire hunt server, consider giving vampire slayers like a crossbow or something.

Edited by FranktheTank

if i like bloodsuckers i play 7 days to die ^^ or any other vampire or zombie game

Edited by Eject

Over the last few days I've gotten quite a few questions regarding all this, so here are some clarifications and answers! I suppose the easiest thing to do here is do some FAQ thing...

Quick summary?
Well, there are about five pages of details above so there is obviously more to it, but:

Ordinary well-behaving citizens of Wurm can choose to become Vampire slayers . When they find and stake one of these foul beasts, they will have blood on their hands for a while; during this period they are a valid target for every Vampire in the game.

Vampire slayers get profits (see below) in staking a vampire. Vampires get profit in punishing a hunted slayer. It's hide and seek and run like hell.

Is this PvE or PvP?
It's definitely player vs player with a twist and significant losses and gains. Primarily it is a way to introduce a bit of PvP in PvE environments/servers. There are many reasons for this, one of the big ones: PvP servers in Wurm are so incredibly fragile, whilst PvE servers are quite the opposite. And really, a bit of competitiveness in Wurm is nice.

What's at stake? (hurr)
Your target's skill gains and affinities. Basically, see people's skills as "exp", that's what you steal from your target.

In addition, the game will provide titles, achievements. Also, there will be rare items in exchange for proof of punished vampires or slayers.

Do people die?
The traditional Wurm combat is completely sidestepped. This is really more a game about stealth, manipulation and of course skills (Wurm skills and otherwise). Vampires can die if caught by a slayer, but same here, not in the traditional Wurm sense.

Can I loot their corpses?
On a PvE server, no.

Do I have to participate?
No. You can choose to become a vampire, it's a bit of a quest so you can't really end up as a vampire by mistake. Vampires get perks, quite attractive ones and they are meant to be attractive so they are not incredibly rare.

You can also choose to become a vampire slayer. Barrier of entry for this is low, you buy or create a stake and have at it.

Balance?
Being involved in this is far from everyone's cup of tea, but vampires do get perks and vampire slayers are essentially there to balance them.

Every time there is a "transaction" of skill-gains between a target and a victim, some of the skill is lost to the system (mostly to prevent exploiting).

...there were more questions, but I forgot what they were, chime in or PM me again if you have 'em!

3 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Back in 2010 I suggested adding unique creatures, vampires were one of them. Always figured they would be a mini-boss, very rare and spawn randomly. Vampirism never sounded like a good idea because of balance issues though.

If you do some sort of vampire vs vampire hunt server, consider giving vampire slayers like a crossbow or something.

I hear you. I think this is one of those things that I will just have to see how it plays out live... It should not be impossible to get a vampire.  At the end of the day it will most likely take a bit of patience by slayers that have a specific target in mind, though -- but that is pretty much intended. That said, vampires have to feed... :)

But I fully agree with your sentiments! Thanks :-)

Edited by Friya

3 hours ago, Kruggan said:

I like it.. very creative.  As a side note, I'd like to suggest undead spawning at night on Zenath.  Maybe not even every night if there's a concern of it being too dangerous for new players.  However, personally I've always wanted to have skeletons, zombies, etc. spawn randomly at night only for added tension.

Hey!

Yeah, I am definitely not opposed! Can you throw up a suggestion on the Zenath forums there? I am kind of trying to get the Vampire project done first so there will probably not be much other changes before that at least.

Thanks! <3

This idea, in my opinion, is what's needed more in Wurm. Ambitious people taking ambitious projects to separate from the vanilla Wurm experience. We've been "solving" Wurm problems as a modding community for too long. Instead of working on bugfixes or minor tweaks, we could be doing content packs. Implement a new, fun system that the players actually engage with. Break the sandbox mold and create an experience all your own. QoL is great and necessary, so are bugfixes. But those mods now exist, and now let's take the next step and begin making new gameplay experiences instead of reinforcing current ones.

Imagine the guy who has it all. He's mastered all the skills and has all the items. He flaunts it so much he leaves rare and supreme bones on the ground. They sit next to sorceries and nearly a dozen unique slaying skulls. He has no use for them, he's above it. That scale armour is old news. He's ready for the next thing, but the next thing is what? Another unique to slay? A deed to build? Some masterwork item to create? He's been there, done that on all of it.

A new vampire system gets added to the server. "He says to himself, wow, I can get really great combat spells, and determine the outcome of my horde of horse pregnancies? That sounds interesting, let's try it out."

He does the quest and becomes a vampire. He of course has stockpiled corpses to feed on, so his bloodlust is raised heavily. He wants to test his newfound power. He lets his friends know that he's a vampire now and that he's going to the horses to check out his new abilities! They all say congrats and how cool that is and they're excited for his trip. The vampire hops on his wagon with 4 hell horses, 5 speeds of course, and begins the trek to the farm. He sees a man in local, no one he's seen before, must just be a passer by. He says hello. The stranger disappears from local. Interesting, wonder where he went. The journey continues and he is looking at all these new spells he can cast. A powerful spell that damages. "Man, this could really come in hand-"

"You are dead."

That man in local didn't leave. He was in stealth. On the road. Waiting and ready, stake in hand. Naked from head to toe, this player had just joined the server. He didn't play before, but he saw the mod and wanted to test it out. He just chopped down a nearby tree and made a stake. By chance, he saw someone coming in a blazing cart of horses, and decided he'd try to set a trap. The "stealth" button was there, and so he gives it a shot. He positions in the middle of the road and waits for the target. Needless to say, the other player is comletely unawares, to overconfident in his established life to care. With stake in hand, newbie plasters the vampire. "Haha noob" he says with pride. Ah, how lovely. Oh look a scale set and high quality tools on his body. That could be nice. I wonder if I can take it. Oh, why yes I can!

The new player walks away with the full set of gear, a nice set of tools, and a feeling of accomplishment. He will go home and make a wonderful fortress to store his newfound goods. He will create a deed with templars to defend him from the night terrors. He'll recruit villagers to work with in stopping the vampire flag. His name is Dawnguard, and mark his words he will rid the world of evil.

A nearby vampire smells the blood and hunts down the new player, slaughtering him viciously and looting his prize.

The end.

• Like 1

Well, I want whatever Sindusk smoked! Thanks for the story!

But yeah, this may be one way to take... It could of course land flat on it's belly when introduced, we shall see! :-)

PS: on PvE servers there will be no full loot; the "transaction" is skills, affinities and quest rewards

Edited by Friya

Believe it or not, but this monstrosity is now live on Zenath since last night. It's very much being tweaked/fixed and at this point I think everyone's enjoying it. I have not seen anything that says otherwise, at least (except maybe from Atazs) ;) A few hours ago the first people finished the quest and there are now actually full dwellers of the night sneaking around on Zenath.

Announcement: http://zenath.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=106

I think in total this added up to ~20k lines of code spread over two mods (and god knows how many server restarts, crashes, hours and late nights). I've been playing around with the idea of doing a write up of the uglies and niceties of making it. There are certainly a few things that could be made easier to mod in WU (with little work from CodeClub). But at the end of the day, I can't actually think of anything that went unsolved in the end (bar needing to patch client, of course). So I am quite happy with the result (and will likely be even happier when it's been balanced properly).

Again, thanks for feedback I got in the past -- really looking forward to more now that it's all up and running!

• Like 1

It is actually really cool how it works. I like the whole Quest concept on becoming a vampire. 

Edited by DOE