Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #46: Showtime! (Almost)

header.png

Torn between collecting meat for the new cooking update, and having the cart drawn, some Wurmians opted for compromise

It's full steam ahead as we move towards the 1.3 release, the hamsters have been briefed, the various sacrifices to Valrei performed, and we're almost there!

By now you should have received a copy of the news letter (or ten, if you're like some players I know) so you'll have a fair idea of what's coming, but we'll go into a few details we've wanted to share too.

If you haven't seen the newsletter, here it is!

http://www.wurmonline.com/sendy/w/WHw62zbohUcyQ0SOxlcRZA/X763UGYcwJdW0Ixp0K71wkRw/bFDPbBmLiJfyLQfDq37YfA

Fruit Inspector
A few months ago, A player by the name of Noizhead raised questions about how fruit harvest quality works, with the fruit difficulty being your skill / 2, meaning as you get better, your results get worse! In this update we'll be addressing that mechanic, as well as a few others:

• Fruit harvested as well as foraging and botanizing finds will now be closer quality to your skill
  • Yield from harvesting trees and bushes will now increase depending on skill and tree age (or trellis QL).

Two huge changes to harvesting fruits and bushes, time to sharpen that sickle!

Decorate for days!
We previously announced that decoration items on deeds with over 30 days upkeep will not take decay, I've done some digging (nagging) and gotten a list! It may not be fully comprehensive, as some things might have been missed, but the general rule of thumb is, if it doesnt form a pile when dropped, and it can't be lit, then it won't decay (don't worry, this doesn't mean lamps will when planted)

Spoiler

altars
amphora
archery targets
armour stands
axe display
banners
barrels
barriers and siege shields
beds
bedside table
bell tower
bench
birdcage
boats
bookshelves
bow racks
buckets
bulk storage bin
candelabras
carpets
catapults
chairs
chairs
challenge statues
chests
coffin
colossi
crates
cupboards
dredge
fireplaces
fireworks
flags
flowerpots
food storage bin
fountains
gnomes
gravestone
hota statues
kiln
larder
large anvil
large magic chest
loom
lounges
mailboxes
market stalls
med rugs
message board
obelisk
oil barrels
pillars
planters
practice dolls
pylon
rafts
rugs
ship transporter
siege weapons
signs
small cart
small magic chest
snow lantern
snowmen
spinning wheel
statues
statuettes
stool
sword display
table
tables
tapestries
tents
throne
towers
trash heap
trellis
tub
wagon
washing bowl
weapons racks
well
wine barrel
wooden coffer
xmas trees
yule goat

Cookbook update!
The cookbook, as previously mentioned has been getting some serious reworking, and in the 1.3 update will be a little different to how most of you tested it. It will now be available via the quickbar! you will be able to add notes to each recipe, making note of the affinity you get from specific combinations, and also mark certain recipes as favourites!

We'll also have the cooking guide ready for release on Tuesday, along with the full patch notes of all the changes coming in with 1.3, so there's a lot of work ahead of us, but we're super excited and so should you be!

Community Content

This weeks community content is from just outside Strongbox, on the Serenity Epic server, Skymart! This awesome building bearing the colours of Jenn-Kellon, along with interconnected bridges just looks amazing. The colossus on the right is a tribute to long time JK player PaulTRW, who sadly passed away some time ago.

screenshot.png

That's it for today, we'll be busy crossing i's and dotting t's, making sure everything is ready for Tuesday.

Until then though, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 22

With tree age affecting fruit harvests, now is an even better time to bring up the old "enchanted trees can be harvested and don't age" suggestion!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

and it can't be lit, then it won't decay (don't worry, this doesn't mean lamps will when planted)

Can Brazier Pillars please be added to 'decoration' list or at least put in the same as Lamps and not decay while on deed.

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, Stormblade said:

Can Brazier Pillars please be added to 'decoration' list or at least put in the same as Lamps and not decay while on deed.

And pavilion tents, especially since they're not repairable!

• Like 8

Just now, Xallo said:

And pavilion tents, especially since they're not repairable!

Wait, you can't repair pavilions?

... Why? It's not as if they serve the purpose of a regular tent, do they? That's really weird.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Wait, you can't repair pavilions?

... Why? It's not as if they serve the purpose of a regular tent, do they? That's really weird.

Only mend. And trust me, I have nagged at many devs about this for a looooong time :) They're purely decorational so there's really no reason they should act like they do, no. hopefully this update will fix that!

+1 Strongbox and Strongmart, the people that built it put in good work.

I'm really glad to see the Gender difference from tombs being taken away - Smeagain probably wet herself

Refinement of the Valrei mission system  Would love to see this on both Epic and Freedom, but if just Epic we focusing it on then cool, i enjoy it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

I'm really glad to see the Gender difference from tombs being taken away - Smeagain probably wet herself

well she isn't dead so I think she won't care about tombs

the tomes though i bet all girls and everyone that went for the old hots girl are gonna enjoy it, good change

• Like 3

HELLO!!!!!  What is with braziers???_??    huge problem i have on deed is MARBLE BRAZIERS PILLARS AND COPPER BRAZIERS!!!   this takes way too much dmg   ALSO  EPIC PORTALS!!!!!

20 dmg on marble brazzier takes 4min to repair it

Edited by Sila
  • Like 3

Ok, knowing how decay ticks happen today and when they don't happen, the decay get's stored in a queue for the next tick.... if we have items on deed and maintain 30+ days of upkeep for a few years, then OOPS! forget to pay and it drops below 30 days, will we get the mother of all ticks and have everything on deed go poof?

PLEASE make sure devs are also eliminating the potential decay and not just blocking the ticks from happening.  I hope this made sense and I hope my understanding of the decay mechanic wasn't just someone's odd theory.

love love love the fruit change!

• Like 3

The fruit update is nice ^_^

The removal of decay for "decorative" items on deed will also cut down on re-imping which is nice.

I suppose this update is not going to be a complete kick in the teeth for priests ^_^

Just a quick question, will hops only be harvestable from trellises, or will we be able to also plant them like grapes?

1 hour ago, Lianya said:

Just a quick question, will hops only be harvestable from trellises, or will we be able to also plant them like grapes?

" We'll also be introducing the Orange tree as a harvestable fruit tree, and the hops trellis, allowing you to grow and harvest hops to brew beer!  "

• Like 1

a kiln is as decorative as a pile of dirt... yet forges isn't on that list...

• Like 1

Yes, braziers, forges, guard towers, turrets.... sure would be nice to have them on the list.

• Like 2

Wait why are gnomes on that list?
The red ones at least - I don't have a green to check - take positive decay (no damage, +QL), like wine.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, luvable said:

Yes, braziers, forges, guard towers, turrets.... sure would be nice to have them on the list.

TURRETS FORGES and BRAZIERS and yes GUARD TOWERS please please on the list.

Also, since colossi now won't take decay, PLEASE allow deed owner to destroy it if no longer needed or wanted.  

Also, please address carts still not following terrain under the cart, same with wagons.  The clipping while being a passenger on a wagon is terrible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

Also, please address carts still not following terrain under the cart, same with wagons.  The clipping while being a passenger on a wagon is terrible.

This was so much worse as being a driver on a wagon - downhill on a 20 slope put your head inside your wagon, blinding you (maybe remove the front sheets on the wagon?).

Also horrible for us ranged folk with a shoot hotkey - targetting and slaughtering our horses is still very possible using spells or ranged (the spells target, the weapon kills), and unpredictable movement from slight slope changes is going to be fatal for them..

• Like 2

I have a question for Lord Retrograde....

I saw somewhere that Bees need flowers around the new Hives we make, Soo... what i need to know is will Flower beds and Flower pots (with flowers planted in them) work ?

Or is it only flowers planted on tiles.... or is it both ???

The reason i'm asking is if they need flowers planted on tiles and will not use flower beds and pots.... flowers on tiles are to easy to be taken over by bushes and trees so we would loose lots of flower tiles and have to replace them all the time none stop :(

Thanks for featuring my merchant deed, Skymart!  Best prices on Serenity for whatever you need, stop by and check out our merchants.

And thanks for the shout-out to our beloved PaulTRW, gone but not forgotten....

• Like 5

nerf to priests now?

There's also single use runes, that provide an effect and disappear:

• Spells such as Goat shape, Mole Senses or Reveal Creatures.
  • Random colour changes of items!
  • Locate corpse.
  • and many moregonna

gonna give disintegrate wall with these too?

Edited by JakeRivers

23 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

nerf to priests now?

There's also single use runes, that provide an effect and disappear:

• Spells such as Goat shape, Mole Senses or Reveal Creatures.
  • Random colour changes of items!
  • Locate corpse.
  • and many moregonna

gonna give disintegrate wall with these too?

I really don't think rare, one-use runes will really devalue priests much at all.

• Like 2

be a big deal for chaos

and no one will need to lug a priest around or have a main priest for hunting uniques, but I am fine with that, cause that is a pain in the butt

pls no locate soul/combat spell/disintegrate runes on chaos 

ty(pls)

Edited by Gone420