Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Priests: Working as intended?

18 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Before I head back to work I'll leave another thought here : Runes will soon add the ability for engame players to cast "minor" spells, thus making some of the stuff that was once unique to priests accessible to non-priests.  Logic would dictate that this needs to flow both ways since its already massively against priests ;)

Not sure many raised priests for goat shape casts.

While I understand the argument, there is still a massive amount of content that priests can take part of, and a lot of priest exclusive avenues. Enchanting and PvP spell casting is a massive draw, with high enchanted items being always in demand, and many tasks still require priests or a lot of silver or time. (genesis, strongwall etc)

• Like 3

My guess would be that originally the priest restrictions were based upon some philosophical basis. Perhaps the thought was that they devoted themselves to their particular religious pagan god in prayer to increase their faith, which restricted them from the menial more worldly tasks. Then in their devotion they would not divert their attentions from their god to these tasks that the less devoted followers would accomplish for them and themselves. For this devotion these priests were granted particular beneficial spells that they could cast on items used by the common folk. This then made these priests of more value to these followers and they actually worshiped them more than these gods that they followed.

As the game evolved it became self evident to the god of Wurm (Rolf) that by restricting these priests from the more common tasks it meant that they would be another source of desirable game income, in addition to the all around general character playstyle that most would desire and choose. So as a result of the original philosophical concept that more adhered to traditional priesthood another source of Premium player income was discovered and embraced by the god of Wurm.

Why would anyone think that now this source of additional Premium income would be eliminated by allowing Priests to do in addition all the things that a normal player character can do? Also, lets not forget that a Priest character can make a lot of Silver coins which can be further used to reduce their game play expenses. So in this respect they already have the capacity to make more from using their Priests than they actually need to pay for this additional Premium account. Many with Priest characters make much more Silver than needed to simply pay for Premium on that account anyway; therefore, there is no real incentive for this suggestion that Priests be given more abilities to do the things that regular player characters can do.

Somehow it is surprising that these Priest restrictions have not been removed, making them even more profitable and desirable for everyone to have as their main character? Won't happen, would again be my guess.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

But this is no longer the case is it?  Most priests are "pet" priests, i.e. priests owned by a rich player aiming to augment his high level crafting toon.  The argument that they were designed to be a social character fails simply because that design has failed.

It is still the case as priests may still be played in that exact manner should the player choose to do so and does not want to spend extra on alts.

That someone can have a pet priest is actually irrelevant. Whether they choose to outlay extra cash on a priest alt is a personal choice that they can make to remain antisocial. Totally up to them and the concern of no one else. Also if it is a casting only alt then it doesn't actually need anything else, the non priest main will cover that.

The core of a priest is that trade off, you get magic instead of most crafting. Its an up front choice and made very very clear. If it were not reversible I might agree with the extra abilities brigade more but the fact is, going priest is and always has been an option you can revoke. There is even a mechanism for quicker faith recovery, sermons. Given that, priests really are fine as they are.

Information inferred so far:

"No changes will be made to priests nor priest specific content be released"  (in the near future)

"Priests are working as intended"

"Community wants to see some change but wants to maintain strong priest restrictions"

Is this correct?

14 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Yep, that's correct.

Marvellous, that was all I needed to know.  I'll pass the word about to those that were curious.

If priest restrictions are removed, what's the point of playing a normal character? Just go priest, have the buffs, spells, and everything else along with it.

From what we've seen in the past 5 years there has been little to no priest specific content added to wurm

That's because they keep adding stuff like runes and imbues...

Edited by KyleBooze
  • Like 1

I use Ago's spell mod in WU. Playing with no "priestly" restrictions and having all spells is how it should be. My one guy can do it all. The possibility of doing it all is what I most like about Wurm and as such I don't see any issues with such a change.

Its pretty simply really. No need for pages of wording to come to 1 simple conclusion.

Removing restrictions allows everyone to make their mains priests which equals loss in premium. Ok that's fine I can see why that shouldn't be changed.

But why shouldn't a priest be able to do everything a non prem alt can do? Why does a player HAVE to use a non prem alt to do the simplest of things? 

Its understandable to not be allowed to imp but really why are all the other restrictions needed? I'm only talking about what you can do on a non prem alt and nothing more. 

• Like 1

If you are saying they shouldn't be allowed to imp.  All you are really asking for is the ability to continue so that a priest would be able to build a house or a fence.  They would be able to make other things that require continue but that seems to be the big thing that people are asking for.  I think I would start the suggestion over with just asking for that ability and see if it received a better reception.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ayes said:

My guess would be that originally the priest restrictions were based upon some philosophical basis. Perhaps the thought was that they devoted themselves to their particular religious pagan god in prayer to increase their faith, which restricted them from the menial more worldly tasks. Then in their devotion they would not divert their attentions from their god to these tasks that the less devoted followers would accomplish for them and themselves. For this devotion these priests were granted particular beneficial spells that they could cast on items used by the common folk. This then made these priests of more value to these followers and they actually worshiped them more than these gods that they followed.

As the game evolved it became self evident to the god of Wurm (Rolf) that by restricting these priests from the more common tasks it meant that they would be another source of desirable game income, in addition to the all around general character playstyle that most would desire and choose. So as a result of the original philosophical concept that more adhered to traditional priesthood another source of Premium player income was discovered and embraced by the god of Wurm.

Why would anyone think that now this source of additional Premium income would be eliminated by allowing Priests to do in addition all the things that a normal player character can do? Also, lets not forget that a Priest character can make a lot of Silver coins which can be further used to reduce their game play expenses. So in this respect they already have the capacity to make more from using their Priests than they actually need to pay for this additional Premium account. Many with Priest characters make much more Silver than needed to simply pay for Premium on that account anyway; therefore, there is no real incentive for this suggestion that Priests be given more abilities to do the things that regular player characters can do.

Somehow it is surprising that these Priest restrictions have not been removed, making them even more profitable and desirable for everyone to have as their main character? Won't happen, would again be my guess.

=Ayes=

Wait wait, you are saying that you can pay for the game with a priest, but also saying that priests are a source of premium income.  I feel theres a paradox in there.

5 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Wait wait, you are saying that you can pay for the game with a priest, but also saying that priests are a source of premium income.  I feel theres a paradox in there.

Ahh, a very disconcerting way to interpret my short diatribe and yet perhaps the simplicity of it all exudes a cloak of the paradoxical. With this in mind I think it is better to just let the allure endure rather than resorting to the mundane to explain.

=Ayes=

• Like 2