Sign in to follow this  
Madt

New method for creating ash

When a forge/oven is lit, ash should store up in it the more fuel you add. Being able to extract this ash from the forge/oven after the fire is out would be a very helpful quality of life addition that would make creating ash much less painful when needing large amounts.

Currently it's .10kg of ash per 1.5kg kindling campfire. So perhaps 10kgs of wood fueled to the forge could give 1kg of ash when the forge/oven goes out to make it a little simpler?

You'd just right click the unlit oven or forge and get the option to Empty ash or something, which would then sweep it out into your inventory.

• Like 5

Or the could re-vamp the way an oven/forge works by giving it a fuel box.  Wood and kindling is placed in the box.  Where it is set on fire. as wood is consumed like when you craft something, it cuts off part of the wood.

I would also ask that all wooden items have the option to "scrap" which would break them down into a wood amount relevant to their weight.  Quality of such scrap would be linked the item quality.  Yes I know a higher quality item would result in higher quality scrap but this is ok.  because technically you would have removed any of the bad parts in the improvement process.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KrojinKin said:

I think MadT is on to something, and I think Tallios is on something.

Indeed, they hate coalpile-making and love concrete:lol:

i would love ash from forge and option to lit it for 2-3 days 

Rather have a charcoal maker.

Much like a smelter only holds upto 20 logs at a time.

Add 20 logs, over the next 4 days it breaks it down to tar and ash.  NO charcoal making skill giving. ( also no steel given )

Always been up for more ash byproduct from fires, especially as its gained more uses.

On November 15, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Stormblade said:

Add 20 logs, over the next 4 days it breaks it down to tar and ash.  NO charcoal making skill giving. ( also no steel given )

Basically, a charcoal pile that doesn't actually give charcoal?  That would save time, not needing to add each log to the pile (and thus not gain any skill from it).  If all those logs are allowed to burn up like that then it should also yield more ash in place of charcoal.

Also, filling a cauldron or amphora with wood scraps and heating it in a fire would logically produce charcoal, without enough air to burn to ash. 

(on the topic of alternate ash/charcoal making)

Edited by Meldichoir
clarified the second statement
  • Like 1

+1 also think would be a good idea to gain some from fueling a fire place.

This ash producing effect from forges/ovens is already a function on Sklotopolis in WU, so just copy into WO the way they have it. A very beneficial one too since it is a much better side effect to produce ash that can be used to make lye, which is a necessary ingredient in the production of concrete in WO and most WU servers too.

Goes a fair way to reducing the insane time requirements and failures in producing concrete, so yea a very nice way to produce the ash required.

=Ayes=

On 11/15/2016 at 11:26 AM, Tallios said:

Or the could re-vamp the way an oven/forge works by giving it a fuel box.  Wood and kindling is placed in the box.  Where it is set on fire. as wood is consumed like when you craft something, it cuts off part of the wood.

I would also ask that all wooden items have the option to "scrap" which would break them down into a wood amount relevant to their weight.  Quality of such scrap would be linked the item quality.  Yes I know a higher quality item would result in higher quality scrap but this is ok.  because technically you would have removed any of the bad parts in the improvement process.

+1

Make an incineration pvp spell so you can get ash from burning your PVP-victims.

:)

On 11/15/2016 at 7:13 AM, Madt said:

When a forge/oven is lit, ash should store up in it the more fuel you add. Being able to extract this ash from the forge/oven after the fire is out would be a very helpful quality of life addition that would make creating ash much less painful when needing large amounts.

Currently it's .10kg of ash per 1.5kg kindling campfire. So perhaps 10kgs of wood fueled to the forge could give 1kg of ash when the forge/oven goes out to make it a little simpler?

You'd just right click the unlit oven or forge and get the option to Empty ash or something, which would then sweep it out into your inventory.

Out of likes.

Like this lots. Been thinking about ways to maie ash lately too.

Had this idea, like digging a latrine, or burying a coal pile.

A hole for ash.

I like your idea better Madt.

On 15/11/2016 at 5:27 PM, Finnn said:

Indeed, they hate coalpile-making and love concrete:lol:

as do i 

+1

On 15.11.2016 at 9:31 PM, Stormblade said:

THIS

+1(99999)

Charcoal piles AND bonfires. One for steel, one for a lotta ash.

• Like 1

Bump.

I made a campfire today to make lye for leather, only to fail making the lye and lose the ash after wating 20+ minutes for the fire to burn out.

Had to wait another 20 or so minutes for the second fire to burn out so I could try again, which luckily succeeded. :)

In hindsight I should have made more than one fire at a time, but I didn't want to waste kindling.

But this could all have been avoided if I had the ability to just clear the ash sitting in my forge out and use that.

Please.

• Like 1

As fun as charcoal piles and campfires are this would be a great quality of life change. +1 to scooping ash out of forges

+1

I've wondered ever since I started playing why ovens and forges never produced ash.

Let's see some action on this idea!