Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Metal Ingots

These days with access to massive resources, its become more and more apparent that managing large numbers of metal lumps has become overly difficult... even by Wurm standards.

This is most apparent in hauling large numbers of lumps in crates.

To help alleviate this, I recommend a larger unit of metal: the ingot. Exact numbers would really be dev specific; though, even something small such as 30 lumps for every ingot would have a huge impact. Perhaps even at the max limits for combining lumps.

Offhand same creation method as anvils.

In reverse, one could reheat the ingot back into lumps or simply have the ingot activated in place of the lump; though, unsure how much re-coding persay would be required with the later.

Similar means could be taken with other small items; though, for this thread I'll just stick with molten metal.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 2

It's a good idea,

Potter's could make ingot casting molds, small ingot = 5 kilo's, large ingot = 25 kilo's

The mold doesn't affect the metal quality at all, it just damages to show how many more uses the mold has.  Ingots could stack in crates and BSB's like every other item.  

If ingots could be used interchangeably with lumps that would be even better.

or this could be the introduction of using casting molds to make metal items like tool blades and such.

Edited by Tallios

+1 I like it.. :o

This could ease the trading/transporting of thousands of metal lumps around.

I like the idea for max lump weight = ingot.

I'm kind of unsure about the pottery molds, if they're are hard to make - they won't be used often... rather see pottery crafters bring garden decorations, and such to make their skill more useful.

Wonder how we're going to use the ingots tho? Turn back to lumps with a smelting-pot?(that keeps the pottery guys/girls involved 2x), just hope we get 1:1 lump's weight back and same ql like the ingot's .. also hope that we'll have low requirements for making the molds...:rolleyes:

I would rather see crates limited by volume rather than number of items, but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

+1 I like it.. :o

This could ease the trading/transporting of thousands of metal lumps around.

I like the idea for max lump weight = ingot.

I'm kind of unsure about the pottery molds, if they're are hard to make - they won't be used often... rather see pottery crafters bring garden decorations, and such to make their skill more useful.

Wonder how we're going to use the ingots tho? Turn back to lumps with a smelting-pot?(that keeps the pottery guys/girls involved 2x), just hope we get 1:1 lump's weight back and same ql like the ingot's .. also hope that we'll have low requirements for making the molds...:rolleyes:

I was suggesting that pottery element be used to craft ingot molds, are not complicated to make.  

For Ingots - Quality would just ensure how long the item could be used.  Not a quality altering thing.

For cast metal items like small blades, nails, arrowheads, rivets, etc this should be the primary aspect that determines the quality of these items.  Not the metal quality. Also there could be a mold for making 5 or 10 nails or rivets at a time.

Edited by Tallios

3 hours ago, Tallios said:

It's a good idea,

Potter's could make ingot casting molds, small ingot = 5 kilo's, large ingot = 25 kilo's

The mold doesn't affect the metal quality at all, it just damages to show how many more uses the mold has.  Ingots could stack in crates and BSB's like every other item.  

If ingots could be used interchangeably with lumps that would be even better.

or this could be the introduction of using casting molds to make metal items like tool blades and such.

Could go one step further and be able to smelt down the ingot in smelters back to lumps.

Say three x30kg ingots would then smelt down to 90 lumps of ore.  smelt would do a check to make sure once smelted there's room for the lumps, or the ingot just stays glowing till there is room for broke down lumps.

Why?

I'm fairly sure lump is synonymous with ingot here really, just a different shape.

• Like 2

More or less.

Ingot, bar, etc.

Mainly just something that's a single unit with greater volume, while not taking up as much item count in a crate.

If you're transporting large amounts there's other options, crates are great for transporting upwards of around 12,000 in a knarr, but if you need more, use something else.

A suggestion which isn't a form of satire from Klaa? You alright mate?

53 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Why?

I'm fairly sure lump is synonymous with ingot here really, just a different shape.

It is. The only reason this suggestion is a thing is because crates are limited by standard item units, and not volume. This leads to some things being easier to transport in them than others. For example, you can fit a hell of a lot of support beams in a crate, volume-wise, but a very tiny volume of sprouts or gold lumps by comparison.

I would like to see crates limited by volume instead to make things more consistent with the rest of the game, but I don't know if that would make it too difficult to transport larger items.

Edited by Ostentatio

7 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

I would like to see crates limited by volume instead to make things more consistent with the rest of the game, but I don't know if that would make it too difficult to transport larger items.

that would be pretty bad honestly, while it would be good for many things, to balance it properly would mean its even more awful than a bsb for logs, which crates are super good for

seems more reasonable to add a 3rd harder crate based on volume that is balanced properly

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Why?

If you're transporting large amounts there's other options, crates are great for transporting upwards of around 12,000 in a knarr, but if you need more, use something else.  

Why? are you freakin kidding, Anyone else remember when someone decided to transfer 200k+ wood scraps across servers lines?

So yeah, maybe no one would transfer 200k lumps across server lines. but hey then again maybe someone will and we'll ask the GM's the kinda nightmare that creates when they have to fix every single individual item.

18 hours ago, Redd said:

A suggestion which isn't a form of satire from Klaa? You alright mate?

Heh, very few of my suggestions are pure satire. Though tbh, even the tongue-in-cheek ones were also serious.

For example,

Is a serious suggestion having some fun with the lack of an item model.