Sign in to follow this  
Pardigan

Fatigue system needs to be looked at

I tried to build a corbita and now I have less than 300 pieces to add to the boat but because the way your game works, I can no longer work on the boat until I wait 3 hours. I have used no macros to build the boat, nor to do anything else in game even though I own a razer naga. Why am I not allowed to work on my boat any longer? I promised that I would have the boat done as soon as possible and now I am a liar due to the fatigue system which I have just discovered today. At first it lasted for about 5 minutes then you feel rested showed up and I went back to work. But now I can do nothing in game and for the next 8 hours I would normally be in the game doing things like finishing the boat I had planned to have finished tonight, I instead have to wait 3 hours per 1 hour of game time if I've read correctly. In this way you are limiting my capability as a villager and as a person who pays to play the game. My ambition should not be limited by your perspective on what a person with out macros should be capable of achieving in a single day and I want to keep playing this game but cannot justify to my wife why there will be certain days I cannot play because I really wanted to finish something to be able to take her credit card off the account...It seems very fishy and I would really like it looked at as I would like to play longer and continue being a ship maker but if I have to wait 3 hours per 1 hour of boat making I will find a different game I'm afraid. And yes. I sleep 8 hours per night. I just choose to play video games with my time and want to play this one in 2 hours I can do that again. 

• Like 1

The only way to hit fatigue cap is to play an unhealthy amount or macro.

• Like 8

Regardless of what you think an unhealthy amount is, some players play that much and limiting their capabilities will naturally drive them away.

• Like 1

you need to play like 16 hours straight to burn all your fatigue. I know there are still some bugs impacting fatigue, but unless you have really really short timers, shouldn't bother  you much.

• Like 1

I am still waiting in game for my fatigue to go away and I cannot even light a campfire to heat up my meat. So in another way I am being punished in that when I can do things again my nutrition will be lower...All so you can stop some macros. Why not enabling yourself to detect when macros are being used like time stamps rather than just punish all people who have chosen this as their game of choice? Yes I admit I took on a heavy load with this corbita, but I also now have to explain why all the animals are diseased as I'm the village animal handler. I've been very busy in my 17 days here in wurm online and I love the game but this needs to be looked at, as I would like to build boats and help my village become a better place...

• Like 2

Playing for several days in a row in a very efficient manner is enough to run out of /fatigue. *shrug* Rolf said it was to limit players with too much time and make it fair for everyone else.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pardigan said:

Regardless of what you think an unhealthy amount is, some players play that much and limiting their capabilities will naturally drive them away.

I play at least 10 hours every day and I have never once hit fatigue.  If you truly enjoy the game like I do, roll an alt (priests are fun) and let your main rest for an hour or two.

• Like 3

I planned on doing this already Wargasm but when my wife went back to work. I was planning to use this time to finish the boat...My brain don't work where I can just say stop what you were doing just cause and do something else for a while and come back. I have a traumatic brain injury and aspergers and I have a full neuropsyche evaluation proving I'm just weird but I don't want to run into this in the future is the reason for the forum post. I will start another boat in the future and I will work as long and as hard as I can to get it done. What I would like is for my own fatigue to be the factor causing me to take breaks?

• Like 1

Hmm I remember this issue. I never complained about it though but on occasion I'd hit fatigue issues myself. Of course the very few times I did that I'd actually burn out playing for so long without eating/sleeping. I used to play 16-18 hours a day easily some times 3 days straight. I did manage to build a corbita in 8 hours once with 25 ship building. Didn't do anything else but click buttons.. How exciting !

• Like 1

You don't have to be using macros to hit fatigue and after an extended weekend of hardcore play for example its fairly easy to hit fatigue if you are working on something that takes many parts. I could agree there could be better ways to combat fatigue. Perhaps something in game can be implemented for people to do to show they are actually active and regain some fatigue. Perhaps random personal missions/mini games you can choose to do or avoid if you do them fatigue will regain some time if you don't fatigue perhaps speeds up? This way for those actually using macros will end up running out and potentially even get caught to be punished or banned but for those Who are active with a lot of time on their hands can do the minigame mission and continue what they want to do. 

Yes it adds something you might have to do if you are one of the odd players with that amount of time on your hands.

To the poster, sadly I will say these suggestions will most likely fall on Dec ears and you may end up with more grief dealing with it, but all I can tell you is that if you really do enjoy playing having a 2nd account goes a long way. 

i have hit it many times in my 3 years of playing weekend mostly ask anyone that has played with me ill grind or do some things for 15 to 18 hours if i want to normally doing so on 2 or 3 char at a time.. its nothing for me to wake up at 4am and go till 10 or even 2am the next day.. and with my health prob i have 2 to 4hours of sleep is all i ever get a day.. i think it needed to be fixed tell truth

My friend used to hit this all the time when he first started playing, he was grinding weaponsmithing and mining at the same time, alternate back and forth and would be so frustrated when he hit the fatigue caps.

I also know a few other people in the game that hit this limit often and are frustrated with paying for a game they can not play.

There is no need for macros to hit cap out your fatigue, if you have a few free days and grind like crazy its easy to hit it. I have come close a few times but never capped it out myself. My carpal tunnel is my fatigue timer.

• Like 1

I never hit fatigue and work very hard sometimes, with water and food low. Maybe you need to raise your body strength and cooking in the same time to make better meal to raise your nutrition too. There are always lot of thing to do in the game to stay without doing anything different. Wurm let the possibility to do everything, explore the game possibilities because all you are doing could be useful at a moment and it's not a waste of time.

Technically if you said "as soon as possible" you aren't being made a liar since that possible time has not come yet due to it being impossible to perform actions :)

• Like 4

locksmithing is not affected by fatigue so you can grind that while you "rest"

• Like 1

I remember when I was noob, I imped so many clay jars so focused that I experienced it all;

- GM talking to me

- The weird dialog asking "What is wet?" and I had to choose from "Water", "Rock", "Dream" or something like that.

- GM stalking me

- Running out of Fatigue

- Villagers stalking me

- Mayor stalking me

So in one night I dropped one pottery jar under my mayors bed and named it "Six fingers of [Mayors name]". I also stored bowl full of GM's thumbs but didnt know where they lived to go drop it under their bed.

The curious thing is that between the madness of jar-imping and now, there is plenty of time like 5 years... and not even once I encountered any of the list above, despite being on long sick leave and able to play 20hours a day nonstop. My only viable guess is that everyone got so tired of stalking me or having all sort of alarms and whizzles going off about my fatigue, that they just modified some variable on my account so that I would be free. Or, on the other hand, the system is not working with straight logic, which would in a way or another align with how we have come to love wurm.... 

Edited by Raybarg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Raybarg said:

The curious thing is that between the madness of jar-imping and now, there is plenty of time like 5 years... and not even once I encountered any of the list above, despite being on long sick leave and able to play 20hours a day nonstop. My only viable guess is that everyone got so tired of stalking me or having all sort of alarms and whizzles going off about my fatigue, that they just modified some variable on my account so that I would be free. Or, on the other hand, the system is not working with straight logic, which would in a way or another align with how we have come to love wurm.... 

dat, something similar for me for the crazy platesmithing / weaponsmithing grind... except i didn't had the villagers stalking me (no villagers, allies knew that i was nut from the start) and i'm my own mayor.

Hit the fatigue cap 2 times (was a time when servers were crashing all the time - ty for SB / fatigue reset). And flirted with a 3rd time for a while. Some skills doesn't need fatigue to be used, fishing is one of them iirc.

Edited by Odynn

i reme,ber when Rol f teleported to my first ded to see why the heck i was teleporting around and only logging in for 5 minutes at a time 150 times a day and stuff like that.. we had a nice chat and stuff and was decided i wasnt up to to no good and just my connection to Wurm server was bad.. i didnt even know who he was til somebody told me..just thought he was a cheating newb since he was wearing newb clothing but the wand should've given it away..

• Like 2

Some of my posts in this and other topics were censored/or trimmed/ by mods without any indication for that, I do not stand behind the remaining words.
I'll politely ask you to skip this post and not read it, as whatever words and thought have been spared are not what I had to say.

Spoiler
On 11/9/2016 at 1:15 AM, Pardigan said:

I planned on doing this already Wargasm but when my wife went back to work. I was planning to use this time to finish the boat...My brain don't work where I can just say stop what you were doing just cause and do something else for a while and come back. I have a traumatic brain injury and aspergers and I have a full neuropsyche evaluation proving I'm just weird but I don't want to run into this in the future is the reason for the forum post. I will start another boat in the future and I will work as long and as hard as I can to get it done. What I would like is for my own fatigue to be the factor causing me to take breaks?

WE ALL NEED BREAKS. Get the habit of taking one in a while.. It's a game, not a competition!

I did burn all my fatigue TWICE, first time was when I worked on my first corbita.. and 2nd was after I returned from a long break from the game, and was finishing another corbita, working on 2nd one, and also making a sail boat...(3 boats in few days)

After that two times.. I had good idea what to NOT DO, learn to check your fatigue time with this command: "/fatigue", and take breaks.. it's not healthy to play that long and that often, and lets be real... it is not humanly possible to repeat this constantly.

There are certain skills which require you to burn a ton of fatigue, hours and hours every day... just to advance with a few tiny bits of skill; shipbuilding is kind of.. one of them.. with the thousands of parts that you need to prepare, extras(ql1-... trash that wont do any good ..), and than adding the parts to the boat.. that alone is a huge time sink, further more.. at first you're working with awful low skill which makes you to fail most or many of the actions, which is what you're experiencing there. You probably have low skill and work on a boat by queuing 3x actions.. your long timers and fails is what is the problem.. learn to use just 1 or 2 actions and higher ql parts so you a) have lower action timers(less fatigue used), в) fail less often(higher ql parts will be added more often and result in less wasted irl time and fatigue irl & in-game).

If you really want to be a shipbuilder.. you'll probably need an alt or 2.. or learn to work with others.

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

If you really want to be a shipbuilder.. you'll probably need an alt or 2.. or learn to work with others.

And thats pretty much the big elephant in the room with wurm.

"To play this game properly solo you will need an alt or two"

• Like 1

I choose how often I take or do not take breaks. I, and I alone. Not my mom, not you, not president Trump. So why does a game I pay to play make me take breaks?

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Pardigan said:

you are limiting my capability as a villager and as a person who pays to play the game

27 minutes ago, Hopea said:

So why does a game I pay to play make me take breaks?

Good points on one hand, but on the other hand your character might need some rest once in a while just like it needs food and water, since Wurm is considered a sandbox after all.

• Like 2

This has been brought up several times and i honestly see no reason to change it, i have been playing for around 6 years give or take, and i have never ran into my fatigue limit even though i often play an unhealthy amount (way over 12 hours in a day) in my off days ,in fact i did not even realize that it existed until a couple of years ago when one of my villagers mentioned it.

You have to realize that the reason behind it is not only to discourage macro-ing, but to keep progression a bit linear for players especially when some people are way more than capable to pull way too many hours online working. After all you would need to be completely hands-on improving/building for more than a dozen (12 for non-yanks) hours straight, that is either macro work or a seriously unhealthy activity.

• Like 1