Sign in to follow this  
Nestangol

Public Green Dragon slaying 10th November

Heading over now :)

Miss Evening was felling mighty generous today, so even not being able to go to the Slaying, she donated a few items to add to the public roll :D

1ql steel shovel 84coc

rare 50ql oakenwood fruit press

88ql saddle with 82 woa

93ql Soft cap (xtmas hat)

6ql iron carver with 90coc

Snow Lantern

30ql iron hammer with 92coc

and a water skin with 2.5kg Source (2500 karma)

Thank Evening for all that :)

• Like 7

We are heading on our way to there now with Lockedbob (Miner) and myself! :) Hope to see you soon on battleground!

Edited by Kadmint

Spoiler

Getting ready for the fight....

XhwjomY.jpg

Then it appears that dragon has tried to mine out....

9ARp2P2.jpg<

Then it appears that next to the new cave there's an iron vein blocking the way....

cwPSzHm.jpg

Lol, finally fighting the dragon!

cZwGnYQ.jpg

• Like 5

We has a fans, too :D

25382366704107504925.jpg

Edited by Ibexx
  • Like 2

Many thanks for the fight Nestangol and also a lot of thanks goes to Evening for the great additional items on roll!

• Like 1

Many thanks for the great event Nestangol, I really enjoyed it :) 

Ooooh, I won a carving knife! Thanks @Evening!

Many thanks @Nestangol for arranging this public slaying, nothing ever goes completely smoothly but thankfully all that hiccuped here was getting at the dragon's cave - stupid iron vein... Hopefully you're online when I next log in, but if not no worries, I'll post here and ask you to send my carver CoD :)

Thanks very much Nestangol I thought it went very well. There's always some little problem like the dragon not cooperating but everyone joined in and soon solved it.

7 hours ago, Explora said:

Thanks very much Nestangol I thought it went very well. There's always some little problem like the dragon not cooperating but everyone joined in and soon solved it.

This and I was amazed how fast people decided to help Nestangol to get to the dragon. Everyone waited patiently and helpers did wonderful job! I hope I'll see more that kind of co-operation in this game, because times like this was one good reminder how this game gives the best out of it after bunch of people putting some effort together. :)

Thanks to Nestangol for organising and making this an open event. Thanks as well for the surprise hat I found in the mail this morning :)

So there is one more chapter for this Dragon slaying.

So here is the story of what happened behind the scenes and why. When the time came for slaying, I was sick. I had fever, headache and was extremely tired. But so many people had already arrived and more were on the way, so canceling or postponing was not an option. Of course I could have handed reigns of running it to someone else. Probably should have. But while I have no problem admitting mistake and correcting it, I do have a problem admitting I'm too weak to do something. Quitting was not an option. And I still felt confident I could do it just fine.

Apart from starting to be real tired when I finished list of slayers at the gate permissions (and didn't notice Vannin was not supposed to be on the list), things went fine until the end of actual slaying. Great people helping with things and adrenaline kept me clear-headed enough. After that I had serious brain meltdown. Frankly, I barely remember anything from that on. Re-reading the logs helped to remember more.

Anyway, I still think the way I was going to do loot rolls, would have been good, IF it worked the way I planned. I had planned to put it on spreadsheet on googledocs and share the link so everyone can see. I could have updated it live after every roll. Very fast and neat and no need for rolling numbers again (as you see, 5,6 and 33 were all rolled twice, requiring re-rolls if everyone was kept in the pool).

Below is a little screen shot how it should have looked. Second post in this thread has the link to whole Correct list of loot.

Spoiler

yueVEAu.jpg

But as it goes Mr. Murphy intervened. I was very happy, how little lag I had and how smooth my computer was working. Until I tried to open spreadsheet. I found out my computer refused to open or close anything. I had accidentally left forum post of slaying open, so I was able to update the post there, but that was all. I didn't dare to try rebooting, not knowing how long it would have taken.
All-in-all, I decided I can do it with pen and paper while I keep rolling and posting the results. Which normally I could do very easily. I'm an old tabletop-rpg GM, occasionally a player too and have been playing around with this type of thing pretty much all my life. Should have been very easy for me to do.

Turns out I couldn't get things right. It was very weird feeling of almost like not being there at all and not understanding what was going on around me. But by then I had already started rolling by my original plan. So I didn't see that I could go back to drawing from the original list of 40. Which of course I could have, after figuring out who was the number 33/39. But, well, I guess you get the point. Logic was not really with me anymore, I just tried to get it done right the only way I was able to focus on. Complete tunnel vision. So I rolled the numbers and then checked the list. After all time spent on it, I was sure I got it right. I mean, I checked it at least twice...maybe three times, who knows... And I never make mistakes in things like that. So I believed I got it right and announced the winners, gave things to those who were still there and mailed the rest.

But somehow I made not just one, but altogether 3 errors. Luckily, these errors should be easy enough to fix. I will be sending replacement items to those who should have won with the drawn numbers, as soon as I get my hands on those items. (Tooth for Helorn, Hammer for Thorgot and Water skin with source should have gone to Wulfmaer) Those who got items instead of these three, please keep them.

I'm trying to reach people involved myself, but I may not be online much and/or at same time with them. So if they can pm me on forums, that might be best option for now.

While this was mostly about having a community event and great experience for everyone, I do feel it extremely important to get the loot right. Truth is, without loot, not so many people would go for unique hunts or rifts. We need to keep it always clean and fair.

In any case, for me this dragon slaying was absolutely the best experience in Wurm Online so far. (Also the worst after slaying, but well... no permanent damage done, so it's ok.)

As final words on this, I'm posting this so you'll be able to see what happened from my point of view and someone else running their first slaying might be able to avoid mistakes I made. (Always name backup person to take over if you can't continue.)
If I ever find another unique, it will be public event again. Thank you everyone who helped and special thanks Evening for the extra gifts for loot.

-Nestangol

hmm, another edit. I did also have this issue of dragon skull that was accidentally rolled for Vannin who was not supposed to be in loot list. So I have come to the decision of keeping it for myself (given that I originally claimed I would roll one item for myself (which I did not do back then) and the usual custom of finder/organizer usually taking the first pick anyway, it seems fair enough.) All in all, I don't want to drag the issue of loot any further, so I'll keep it. Hermit's Hunting lodge was always meant to be permanent deed, not just for the dragon. (Deed will be disbanded so I can move it a little, but then redone.) And I have few ideas for the skull already. Need to test if those ideas can be done.

Edited by Nestangol
  • Like 4

All's well that ends well!  I look forward to your next one.:P

• Like 1

Poor thingy, if we would have known that you were sick, of course we would have given you more space and even help you! You organised the most wonderful event and I heartly thank you for it for a long time. :) Hope you are feeling better. And I think people got simply frustrated for being tired, I was super cranky because it was almost midnight by then and all I wanted is that loot was rolled and I could go and get some sleep. :D And I don't mind at all about the loot roll issues, I think we can all learn about that and maybe do better next time. :) And items are just items, I was there for the experience!

• Like 1