Sign in to follow this  
Adambean

3 default towns disappeared

Hi there,

I've just noticed that the 3 default towns (Hearth, Winkshir, and Litocania) no longer exist on my server. -- I use the default world. They still show up on the map, and the terrain and walls are still there, but the town settlement tokens have disappeared and the buildings decayed away rapidly. I'm also not finding any record of the 3 pseudo-players that own these towns. Also as a GM they are no longer listed on the teleport marker interface.

Can these be retrieved without having to start the world again, or are they meant to be temporary?

The GM accounts who made the towns probably was deleted due to inactivity. Their settlements then gets deleted aswell. I had this problem on my map.

Go to the Adventure folder your map is saved at, open up "wurm.ini" - and change PRUNEDB=true to PRUNEDB=false.

This will not bring the settlements back, but will prevent the same thing happening again.

• Like 1

Ok, that's good to know. That would also explain why one of my friends that hasn't been able to play is also missing. Fortunately I kept a copy of the original "adventure" world last year so I'm going to harvest the default 3 players ("Ceyer", "Brightberry", and "Zampooklidin") and towns from that. Suddenly I'm interested in what all these other INI properties do. :) Looks like it's been explained here.

Thank you for letting me know what the problem is.

For anyone else that wants to somewhat recover this here is what I did.

First make a backup copy of your Wurm adventure world folder! If you screw the next steps up or something randomly goes wrong there is no undo.

Next you'll need an SQLite management utility. (I used SQLite Studio for Windows.) Plenty of these around for free. This utility lets you open multiple database files at once and with chosen aliases, so it's easy to copy between multiple databases.

You will also need a vanilla copy of the adventure folder. You'll already have this if you copied the adventure world when you first started your server. Otherwise you'll need to use SteamCMD to obtain a fresh copy. Btw it's a good idea to rename your adventure folder for your server anyway, e.g. mine is "adventure-adambean" as my server is just called "Adambean's World".

Now here comes the SQL operations so get your SQLite tool ready. All database files are within the "sqlite" folder within a Wurm folder. Add/open the following database files:

• Default adventure: "wurmplayers.db" as name "wurmplayers-default".
  • Your adventure: "wurmplayers.db" as name "wurmplayers-mine".
  • Default adventure: "wurmzones.db" as name "wurmzones-default".
  • Your adventure: "wurmzones.db" as name "wurmzones-mine".
  • Default adventure: "wurmitems.db" as name "wurmitems-default".
  • Your adventure: "wurmitems.db" as name "wurmitems-mine".

Restoring player records

1) Use the "PLAYERS" table in database "wurmplayers-default".

2) You'll see 3 player rows: "Ceyer" (follower of "Magranon"), "Brightberry" (follower of "Fo"), and "Zampooklidin" (follower of "Libila"). These are all developer (GM 5) player accounts.

3) Select the 3 rows, right click, copy.

4) Use the "PLAYERS" table in database "wurmplayers-mine".

5) Insert 3 rows.

6) Right click the first empty row and paste. Do not paste before inserting the 3 empty rows or you will overwrite existing players!

7) Press CTRL + ENTER to commit this change if it looks right.

8) Disconnect databases "wurmplayers-default" and "wurmplayers-mine" on the left tree to finalise file writes.

Restoring village records

1) Use the "VILLAGES" table in database "wurmzones-default".

2) You'll see 3 villages: "Hearth" (owned by "Ceyer"), "Winkshir" (owned by "Brightberry"), and "Litocania" (owned by "Zampooklidin"). These are the 3 pre-created villages in the Heavenord world.

4) Use the "VILLAGES" table in database "wurmzones-mine".

5) Insert 3 rows.

6) Right click the first empty row and paste. Do not paste before inserting the 3 empty rows or you will overwrite existing villages!

8) Disconnect databases "wurmzones-default" and "wurmzones-mine" on the left tree to finalise file writes.

Restoring settlement tokens

1) Use the "ITEMS" table in database "wurmitems-default".

2) Filter by "Settlement deed". You should now see the 3 settlement tokens for the default villages.

4) Use the "ITEMS" table in database "wurmitems-mine".

5) Insert 3 rows at the end of the table.

6) Right click the first empty row and paste. Do not paste before inserting the 3 empty rows or you will overwrite existing items!

8) Disconnect databases "wurmitems-default", "wurmitems-mine" on the left tree to finalise file writes.

Check your server

Now start your server to check that the 3 villages are back in place, and make sure you're a GM (ideally L5). They should appear on the "Set teleport marker" interface via your ebony wand, but also teleport to each of them to make sure you see the "You enter Litocania" etc messages.

At this point I noticed the 3 towns were back in place, however the structures are not. (Obviously.) This is quite a bit more complicated, and may be easier for you to just re-create them in game.

You may also notice some outer walls/gates no longer being present, but your ebony wand can create these for free. If you do this also use the "Manage restrictions" interface on each segment you re-build, and put the quality to 85. (That is default for these villages.) I noticed only 1 or 2 segments of outer wall/gate from each village was missing, but this will depend on how long the villages have been left to decay. Outer walls/gates can also be repaired instantly for free with the ebony wand without quality reduction if you can be bothered.

If you are happy with the progress at this stage, shut down your server and make a backup again.

I've been fiddling further to try and get the building structures back in place. The instructions are pretty much the same as above, which requires copying/replacing from the following tables to your own server's database. These are all in the "wurmzones" database.

• BUILDTILES (maximum ID 299)
  • DOORS (maximum ID 34)
  • FLOORS (maximum ID 626)
  • WALLS (maximum ID 321)

This will likely involve merging rather than replacing the table entirely if you've build your own structures. Try and do the insert before everything else in the tables. This should be quite obvious by the fact vanilla buildings have lower ID numbers than anything you've built afterwards.

This turned out to be not much more difficult than doing the other 3 tables I mentioned in the previous post, and all of the default structures appear to be back in place when I started my server. Of course do check this for yourself.

If you want to reset all the decay on the items (assuming they aren't destroyed from decay) this is also possible in the ITEMS table within database "wurmitems" up to ID 2142837836034 (small chest). That might be more fiddly though.

Side effects I've noticed:

• Items within buildings are a bit too low down. (They do not account for the floor height.)
  • The 3 settlement tokens did not appear. (I might have missed them, or they could be underground.)
  • The tile surface beneath structure floor had in some cases reverted back to grass with bushes growing through the floor.

Hopefully these instructions will be of use to someone else. :)

Edited by Adambean
Side effects.

There is no way to permanently disable deleting GM accounts but allowing stale users to be deleted? That sounds like something that should be fixed..

Considering the description of what the "prunedb" setting should do according to Wurmpedia, this should be classified as a bug because the 3 pseudo-player accounts have GM level 5. They should not be pruned according to the first condition of this setting.