Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Acrobatics

Aside from the various old discussions in regards to the pros and cons of Jumping.

Rather thinking of an auto-skill that diminishes damage taken from small falls, heights of say one or two stories off a building. Believe there's sufficient techniques required, as compared with Climbing, for such to not merely rely off of a body stat.

Perhaps also even balancing (not as a separate or even child skill) to provide some slight pause before falling off an edge, or while moving across some narrow area. Not that we really have such atm.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Finnn said:

+1 because no reasons not to

You made a typo, I fixed it for you.

+1 eventhough it could be tied to the Climbing skill.  I like the balancing idea.

9 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

You made a typo, I fixed it for you.

+1 eventhough it could be tied to the Climbing skill.  I like the balancing idea.

Pretty sure it's -1, because reasons

damage from 2nd or 9th floor.. is all the same

hp is based on body.str or w/e wu-code says

for climbing matters to have less body-weight and higher stamina do remain up high.. or keep munching on ql1 sammiches / wine etc..

1 hour ago, Klaa said:

Rather thinking of an auto-skill that diminishes damage taken from small falls, heights of say one or two stories off a building. Believe there's sufficient techniques required, as compared with Climbing, for such to not merely rely off of a body stat.

small falls like... falling from some mountain top? I think there you die from all the bruising and repeated bumps each time dealing some more damage, not the actual single drop.

1 hour ago, Klaa said:

Perhaps also even balancing (not as a separate or even child skill) to provide some slight pause before falling off an edge, or while moving across some narrow area. Not that we really have such atm.

narrow areas on pve, idk what you're talking about, I need MORE EXAMPLES for this new thing; I can not, I just can not... see any use or need for this, seriously..

Oh? What reasons are those?

Falls as from the 2nd story of a house; though, aye a small fall from climbing might count.

Far as really narrow places to walk, there really isn't such collision detection-wise atm. Aesthetically there's the beams on incomplete floors and roofs; however, no collision detection. Closest ingame one might come is a really steep dirt spike from dropping a lot of dirt.

• Like 1

Walking over a doorways gets you down to the floor below, usually 0 damage, rarely you'll get some dmg tick, that I've noticed, and yea.. unfinished ceilings in buildings are purely decorative until finished.

Just now, Finnn said:

Walking over a doorways gets you down to the floor below, usually 0 damage, rarely you'll get some dmg tick, that I've noticed, and yea.. unfinished ceilings in buildings are purely decorative until finished.

Sounds more like exploiting a bug.

About narrow places, I usually walk on tile borders while terraforming, you know, like  _/\_ right on top of there.

Also, there was the idea of walking on walls and fences and such, years ago.  I asume the idea was canned, but a man can dream. 

exploiting? bug? Doorways apparently aren't 'solid', you can't walk over them.. if it's a bug.. who cares, usually you have floors or walls there.

As for the acrobatics, I see no ropes or new features or any explanation where else other than chaos this could have any kind of application, you didn't even ask for less use of stamina with this new skill. Could you give more examples for this suggested mechanic.

2 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

About narrow places, I usually walk on tile borders while terraforming, you know, like  _/\_ right on top of there.

Also, there was the idea of walking on walls and fences and such, years ago.  I asume the idea was canned, but a man can dream. 

Thought of that border at ~90' angles.. but who does that.. other than distracted surface miners creating such unusual terrain-art.

There's more to this that's still missing.

About the walking over fences.. how does one get on top of a fence/wall? That also opens new problems to solve with deeds that mainly count on their fence to provide some sort of security on pve or pvp maps.

steep cliff right next to fence, bounce down, land on the fence (or inside the deed), welcome to the new live mechanism since month... and yes, happened/still happen on chaos deed. ie. if you want deed safety, you had to redesign it a while back already.

• Like 1

Aye another example of exploiting the collision detection; however, proving someone did it is another matter. To really design against it is a pain too, as the best means is making sure nothing steep is next door to begin with, which sadly rules out a lot of interesting locals and layouts.

Anyways, whenever running along a narrow wall or fence is actually intended behavior, then that's another excellent example of balancing. Training one's "muscle memory" to memorize a series of physical movements to the point you can perform them without having to consciously think about the steps (bare minimum of repetitions to achieve this state is usually considered 700-1000). Really handy in situations where one can be under extreme stress and shock, and the body is dumping adrenaline and other into the system.

Anyone in the military, law enforcement, performs heavy physical labor in a dangerous environment (timber industry), etc is already quite familiar with such.

On 11/5/2016 at 7:21 AM, Rathgar said:

You can walk on walls and fences in WU.

On 11/5/2016 at 11:24 PM, Klaa said:

Aye another example of exploiting the collision detection; however, proving someone did it is another matter. To really design against it is a pain too, as the best means is making sure nothing steep is next door to begin with, which sadly rules out a lot of interesting locals and layouts.

Anyways, whenever running along a narrow wall or fence is actually intended behavior, then that's another excellent example of balancing. Training one's "muscle memory" to memorize a series of physical movements to the point you can perform them without having to consciously think about the steps (bare minimum of repetitions to achieve this state is usually considered 700-1000). Really handy in situations where one can be under extreme stress and shock, and the body is dumping adrenaline and other into the system.

Anyone in the military, law enforcement, performs heavy physical labor in a dangerous environment (timber industry), etc is already quite familiar with such.

Just the other day I was testing one of my Tall Walls against a high hill next to it and yep, a client would of been able to run down the hill and pop ontop of the wall and inside, merely just have to lower the gradient of the slope so they can't get the speed and the height needed to do a "jump" off of the terrain when you hit a big drop.

Edited by Roushi