Sign in to follow this  
morlan

Any potential Wurm Community Radio DJs out there?

Hi,

Due to the interest in the radio station I have started putting something together. This will be a pilot program to see how realistic this will be. I now have some software running and services active and now the project needs people. If you love music and would like to share some with the community all you need is your own music collection and some broadcasting software. The software can be obtained freely, I use "Mixx" but anything that can connect to an iceCast server will do.

This is a community project and as such can not recognise any advertising outside the community, our radio classification is "community radio" so if a DJ wants to advertise something it must be something in or about the game only. I am still building things like rules for DJ's, an application process, the landing page, possibly a forum etc

The server will play continuously but the auto DJ will give way when a DJ is playing. I have some thoughts about offering advertising space to markets and other in-game things.  There will be a landing page which will have links to the radio stream and in time a schedule with the DJ's shows displayed.  Dj's will get their own login and some (limited) storage space on the server which can be used to supplement the auto DJ. All the DJs should have a regular slot of at least 1 hour and can fill-in any time when another DJ is not already connected to the stream.

So if this sounds like something you are interested in I would REALLY like to hear from you.

E-Mail me at radio@lifemud.com I am also very regular in the game my name is Morlanius and I live on Xanadu. I also have a mumble voice server which you can connect to at lifemud.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Morlanius

EDIT:

System requirements for something like this is not that high at all, you will need at least 1mb upload speed on your connection and the software can vary greatly, Using Mixx I find it a little bit more demanding than some other tools but my computer can easily run it with Wurm, Firefox and a few other programs running. I don't know much about the performance of many of the newer windows streamers.

Its not difficult at all, the software might take an hour or so to get comfortable with it, but you just open its broadcast/stream settings and put the server address, port your usename and password in and tell it to connect. From that point on everything you play is broadcast, theres normally a mic button some will auto dip the volume and you let speak over some quiet music (good to have some "mic music" lined up in your playlist. Most also have an "autoDJ" feature if you wanted it.

Edited by morlan
  • Like 8

I would possibly be interested. I will email you my ideas. We can do pre-recorded "podcast" type shows that are scheduled to air? Also, there are free broadcasters that will work? In the past we've always used SAM, but it's an expensive program/license. Also, is there soundcard requirements? We needed to get an external sound blaster usb connector.

Was planning to do a wurm talk show for a while now, but my preferred other half has been unresponsive for a long time. Not too into the actual controlling of songs, as my music library is generally one sided and many would not want to hear it.

11 minutes ago, Araninke said:

We can do pre-recorded "podcast" type shows that are scheduled to air?

Yes, there are several ways that can be done, there is a scheduler (somewhere) so it would be a matter of uploading your mp3 and adding it to the media playlist with a schedule. This also could be done by creating the recording and manually streaming it.

12 minutes ago, Araninke said:

Also, there are free broadcasters that will work?

Yes, I use Mixx there are others, theres even a little plugin for winamp that makes it simple. there are a few listed here http://icecast.org/apps/ i do have an old but hopefully function version of Sam Broadcaster around somewhere though. 

12 minutes ago, Araninke said:

Also, is there soundcard requirements? We needed to get an external sound blaster usb connector.

Not really, Mixx does mention some hardware preferences but it seems to just work anyway in all honesty. I'm using an on board sound card as my master and a USB headset for my mic, but thats just because thats what I have.

9 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Was planning to do a wurm talk show for a while now,

I want to see as much variety as possible and something like this would be a welcome addition, you would need to be able to make it to time.

• Like 1

This sounds like fun. I'll certainly tune in. Might be interested in playing DJ, but not sure about computer requirements or the learning curve for the software needed. If you get a chance, could you this kind of info to your post.

Edit: found Mixx and computer requirements for anyone else who is interested: http://mixxx.org/manual/latest/chapters/introduction.html#system-requirements

Edited by MissWilc
  • Like 1

as with wilca, im certainly a potential, but I would enjoy watching the more experienced amongst us show us how it's done first.
following thread, count me in as a listener.

I've DJed in this streaming fashion before, but usually just the songs, no voice. I have the equipment for voice but never bothered, because I didn't feel like I had a lot to say. But if there were ads to read maybe I could do that.

I think I would want to get feedback regarding the songs people wanted to hear. No sense playing the wrong genre to the audience if it could be avoided.

The reality is there are a lot of Wurmians with lots of different tastes in music I'm sure. So probably any type of show would find a few fans among the crowd. There are a few different options for types of shows:

- Pre-recorded or live music podcast

- Pre-recorded or live talk radio segments where guest(s) is interviewed

- Pre-recorded or live talk show where co-hosts banter with each other

Most shows have an intro and outro that is already produced and recorded that gets put into the lineup where appropriate. Hosts may or may not interject throughout the course of the show. Advertisements are also usually pre-recorded and produced and slotted in where appropriate. I.e. during commercial breaks, in between shows, etc. 

I still think you need to make sure you have all the right licensing in place first though before you delve too much deeper into this. It's serious business and is monitored regularly. They will have no problem slapping you with a hefty fine if they deem you are not in agreement with the rules and regulations.

Hi,

Yeah I'm well aware of this and in my last venture I was in verbal contact with people at the licensing office. I have some "time left" on an LOML and the PPL is pretty lax in comparison as its classed as a community broadcast. There is a 6 month leeway going on which allows for people to test things out. So yeah, I'm well aware of how it goes down. The system I have established at the moment will produce all the reports that I need to fulfil the requirements (plays per hour where "plays" have a convoluted definition for example.

And sure, there are a great number of formats that a radio show can take the form of. When on an online radio the intro and outro (but to a lesser extent) is used because of the dip-in-dip-out nature of internet radio but sure having intros is a great way to get time for last second adjustments. Although if shows are back to back then yes an intro is great for separation and branding the DJs separately I do not intend to control peoples formats, but of course there should be some standards.

There is also going to be a disclaimer on the landing page about representation of views etc

The adverts between shows thing will happen by pure dynamics, the service will play from a media library and can add adverts every # songs or nMinutes. So if a DJ wants ads in their show they could download them from the media library or make their own arrangements, have the advertiser make an advert or you make it and put it in your playlist or a manually read out one, sounds fine to me.

This is one of my simplest formats that I use: A music based show, line recordings and normally 2-4 short talk segments depending on length. In those segments its normally news (if i have any), I might call someone and have done give-aways and competitions. One of my friend's shows was almost all talking. Variety is a good thing.

Edited by morlan
  • Like 2

Btw, here's the radio statio I've been involved with if anyone wants to check it out and get a feel for shows, etc. - http://heyzradio.com/

Morlanius - Will there be a regular chat room attached?

1 hour ago, Araninke said:

Morlanius - Will there be a regular chat room attached?

I'm not really sure, I guess I can set that up if its wanted, but I do have a mumble server running anyway so it would be nice if that was used but i guess some IRC channel or google group would do just as well.

2 hours ago, morlan said:

I'm not really sure, I guess I can set that up if its wanted, but I do have a mumble server running anyway so it would be nice if that was used but i guess some IRC channel or google group would do just as well.

I was referring to something separate from those since they are pretty specific and require knowledge to use. But if it's mainly a Wurm listening base then perhaps they are already familiar with those. 

Yeah, perhaps slack would be good for that. And it should be only a Wurm listener base. The station will remain unlisted and only advertised from within the Wurm community, there are a number of reasons for that as you can imagine. The system is essentially working now I just need to make the landing page look like one. This could all get expanded beyond all necessity, the idea is for it to be simple to listen to, broadcast to and to be for a Wurm audience, I'm not trying to replicate a commercial FM radio station with back to back shows, that is a LOT of DJs lol.

On 05/11/2016 at 1:14 AM, MissWilc said:

Edit: found Mixx and computer requirements for anyone else who is interested: http://mixxx.org/manual/latest/chapters/introduction.html#system-requirements

Sorry I was going to mention something about this too, it odes seem like their requirements are quite high. The thing about the dual output cards is for mixing the software also acts as a mixing desk and can even control turntables and stuff but I've never used it. There are others out there I found this that might be quite useful to people using windows. https://www.playitsoftware.com/Products/Live and http://www.radiodj.ro/

Edited by morlan

Entering test phase

Everything is running now and I have conducted a few limited test shows. The schedule is not set up yet so if you are on look in your global channels someone might be on.

There is an autoDJ that plays when no DJs are available which will have its library improved very soon.

So for anyone interested the landing page for the radio station is .... (epic moment-of-inspiration drum-roll)

http://www.lifemud.com/radio/

• Like 3

BUMP

I'm still looking for people to sign up as DJ's. I'll be doing a show in the middle of this week too.

• Like 1

In light of recent events I feel it is necessary to clarify a few things.

• The radio station is "pre-licienced" eg: LOML is in place and PPL is pending whilst the PRS are aware of WOCR and I have been assured that we have a brief leeway where the LOML will be sufficient until it has been shown that a PPL is "worth getting".
  • The systems I am putting in place and does use an external forum however this is only for use by DJ's and accounts are manually activated by me (see note below)
  • The actual casting server also requires a login, these will be created for you if you join and you can change the password from the control panel.
  • This is a FREE service both for listeners and for DJs alike.

NOTES

Anyone signing up t be a DJ will need to sign up to the forum, I would HIGHLY advise that you create your account using a unique password that you have not used ANYWHERE else before. The reasons for this should be obvious but for clarity I will explain: The forum does not allow admins to inspect passwords which are stored encrypted and on a secured server. This being said I do not want WOCR to be implicated in any of this drama with 3rd party sites, this is NOT what WOCR is aiming to do.

If you sign up as a DJ and at any point you indicate/mention that you are using a repeat password, I will suspend your account with the required action to change your password.

I am concerned that since the 3rd party site drama happened people are put off joining this project and this post is an effort to put peoples minds at rest, if you follow the advice I outlined here you should feel completely at ease using this. WOCR is a community project that is being privately funded, set-up and maintained again I would like to state that this is in no way endorsed by WurmOnline or Code Club AB, this is something we are doing by and for the community.

Edited by morlan
  • Like 1

It would fun to host a call in show where people can discuss their Freedom Deeds/Projects and tips with others who might tune in. If I were able to host a show through say Team Speak where speaking permission could be controlled, Then perhaps I could do a show. I have previous experience in hosting an online radio show for nearly 10 Years on various platforms including uBroadcast and Justin.TV.

just my two cents. Let me know what you think. 

• Like 2

On 25/11/2016 at 5:14 PM, Kriet said:

It would fun to host a call in show where people can discuss their Freedom Deeds/Projects and tips with others who might tune in. If I were able to host a show through say Team Speak where speaking permission could be controlled, Then perhaps I could do a show. I have previous experience in hosting an online radio show for nearly 10 Years on various platforms including uBroadcast and Justin.TV.

just my two cents. Let me know what you think. 

Sounds good, you would need to be able to run to a minimum time of 1 hour though but it sounds like it should be a good show. I sent you a PM with details on how to get started, its a two step process but pretty simple, just get some software you are comfortable using, perhaps do a few practice runs without a streamer and then follow the directions in the PM and I'll activate your accounts. There will be a schedule on the main radio page but at the moment I'm waiting for some more people to jump on board as DJs.

So if anyone else is out there that would like to do a show then please contact me via PM in the forums or in game any time!

~M

hello, enjoying the music so far.

would like to ask for something if possible. i used to play a game that had or has several radio stations.

one of them had a schedule of when DJs where going to show up, because i would like to know in advance when

a dj is going to talk? or is it strictly music playing for now?  http://atlashavenradio.com/           http://www.atlashavenradio.com/AHR-timeslots.jpg

another thing i would like to see is a currently playing info line, band and song?  if possible.

again enjoying the music so far.

ah theres also these little chat boxes that you can embed for listeners to talk to each other while listening and playing the game. but i guess

that would need moderating to an extent from people who cant moderate themselves.

those 3 things only lol.  

hey that game has other radio stations with ingame money rewards and other stuff, so theres many things that can be done that would attract

lots of listeners. so many options, so little time... (actually i once won an item on it because they would drop it in the world and players had to go

search for the item, it was some kind of rifle i couldnt use because i had no bullets for it, but still it was fun finding it)

great idea of a wurm radio station anyway, cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Griffith said:

hello, enjoying the music so far.

would like to ask for something if possible. i used to play a game that had or has several radio stations.

one of them had a schedule of when DJs where going to show up, because i would like to know in advance when

a dj is going to talk? or is it strictly music playing for now?  http://atlashavenradio.com/           http://www.atlashavenradio.com/AHR-timeslots.jpg

another thing i would like to see is a currently playing info line, band and song?  if possible.

again enjoying the music so far.

ah theres also these little chat boxes that you can embed for listeners to talk to each other while listening and playing the game. but i guess

that would need moderating to an extent from people who cant moderate themselves.

those 3 things only lol.  

hey that game has other radio stations with ingame money rewards and other stuff, so theres many things that can be done that would attract

lots of listeners. so many options, so little time... (actually i once won an item on it because they would drop it in the world and players had to go

search for the item, it was some kind of rifle i couldnt use because i had no bullets for it, but still it was fun finding it)

great idea of a wurm radio station anyway, cheers

Hi,

I'm very pleased to hear you are enjoying it so far. And yes you are correct a regular schedule is what is needed, I am planning when my show is going to be and when more DJs get on board they will also be scheduled. I just haven't put a schedule section on the page yet because .. well ... the cooking update is cool isn't it hehe ... but seriously you are right and that is something you will see on the page soon.

Do you mean right there on the page? if you use VLC or something it should show up, but sure I can certainly put that on the page too. I'm also going to change the listener module to something a little better i had some feedback that some people had problems with it. The chatbox is a nice idea but as its based around Wurm Online we should probably keep all that there, and yes the moderation is just another thing to deal with.

Also, I have been thinking about a link that opens a new window that will self resize small and contains only the player so streamline it a little, any thoughts on this?

I'm working on doing some competitions and silly giveaway type thing to which I think will help attract listeners as you said, I don't think I'll give away money, but items etc would be cool.

~Morlanius

• Like 1

I gave a couple hours of listen today.

Personally, I'd like to see varying stations, instead of just one. Assuming I was listening to an AutoDJ, the genres greatly varied. One minute AC/DC was playing, the next, some Jack Johnson kind of song.

I'd be very interested in a Wurm "talk show" station or an "extreme music" station, where various forms of metal and golden era "gangster" hip-hop was played. I'd even be interested in DJing the "extreme" station, but wouldn't be able to delve into that project until I get a better rig.