Sign in to follow this  
Omgderp

Trade Channel

Trade channel is rather handy. Most people are considerate of the channel and it's purpose.

However there are some that spam and I have seen CM's try to enforce a 20 minute rule which is great.

What staff can not control however is a different type of "spam" becoming known as "the wall of text".

The wall of text is essentially a player posting multiple ad's in quick succession. Upwards of 4 and 5 or more ad's of various things by the same person. It's become something of a joke but it is also starting to annoy people.

The problem with this is it bumps other people's ad's out of the way legit or not.

It is also unnecessary, we have very well used forums that are quite effective for sales of multiple items and of course merchants.

And with the typing space allowed in 1 or 2 ad's you can easily mention variety.

I'm not looking to point fingers or ruin anyone's fun but it's getting a bit much. On the advice of an unnamed CM it was suggested that this post be made so that if others are annoyed they may comment for the staff to take a look into this and maybe make some sort of rule.

A simple +1 or suggested number would be helpful for staff to review. We don't need to name names or be nasty about it.

+1 and 2 ad's in succession is my opinion.

• Like 3

Two to..... three lines should be more than enough... even with TWO only.. people could switch their trades or just post their main things to sell for the moment (or switch 2-3-5+ templates.. but with just 2 lines every 20-30 or w/e minutes)

+1 for the idea:rolleyes:... idk if cas or gms can or really want to monitor trade for 'spam' but having some kind of a rule.. saying 'hey.. let's not post 5 lines in a row..' could maybe save a few nerves and a koala's life!:o

p.s. (you can't prove anything about the koala either, just stop..):ph34r:

+1.

Nothing worse than posting something and my ad disappearing from 4 or 5 lines from the same person.

I agree.  Especially with what I see. They post several lines listing what they are selling then post the link to their forum page.  The one time I said something about it, I was told it was technically not spam because the lines were all different.

+1. IT would probably be much easier to just set up a trade post on forums if you got 3-4 lines worth of stuff to sell since of flooding the trade channel with all your items. Just do 1 or 2 big things you selling, and then a link to the everything you are selling on the forums.

• Like 1

+1, but this should also be a warning to those posters that /ignore is a powerful tool and many of their potential buyers are being annoyed by their frantic sales pitches.  I'll pay more to buy someone else's stuff if you irritate me. ;)

• Like 4

so what are we proposing basically?

all i see is "people spam lots"

I dislike using the forums to sell, so I occasionally go through listing several items, people tend to ignore run on lines, so I space them apart.

Are you looking for a CM enforced rule? because that would be a little bit too much work imo, perhaps a 5 minute cooldown (excluding @ posts)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sunstrike said:

so what are we proposing basically?

all i see is "people spam lots"

I dislike using the forums to sell, so I occasionally go through listing several items, people tend to ignore run on lines, so I space them apart.

Are you looking for a CM enforced rule? because that would be a little bit too much work imo, perhaps a 5 minute cooldown (excluding @ posts)

I honestly feel there should be a game mechanic between the time between ad's. 15-25 min (comment if you want on this of course.)

But the issue of this post is with some people posting 3,4,5 ad's for their stuff one right after the other.

Example:

[13:20:42] <ToffeeMaker> (Xan) WTS Having a thriving market bring your money!!!!! Location at G 56 on Xanadu. We have tools, weapons, enchanting, decorations, dyes, pickles, corn and Wheaties to make you strong. Can use gems or sleep powders to trade. Come over and see what we have.

[13:20:44] <ToffeeMaker> (Xan) WTS Assorted horses, all colors including the new purple and rainbow ones, 5 speeds for 50,000 paso Hell horses are for sale good names like "Getty up" "Don'tgottarunlikeanoob"  4 and 5 speeds available.

[13:20:45] <ToffeeMaker> (Xan) WTS Selling enchanted weapons with woa, coc, nib, tbs, cbc, uk, std 70, 80, 90 for the extra elite we also stock 120. We also have light sabre's in green and aqua and for those not classy shiv's...yup shiv a neighbor, teach them not to cut your trees.

[13:20:47] <ToffeeMaker> (Xan) WTS  have over 10,000 sleep powders, a rare chisel with coc 107 and because we are THAT DAMN GOOD a supreme rake with 90,000woa so when you farm you actually GET time back, cool right?

Ignore the silliness or smile but what we are talking about is the same person doing this within seconds, note the time stamps.

This can be condensed, can be posted, it doesn't need to be wall of text from 1 person, that's what we are referring to.

Edited by Omgderp
  • Like 2

You are suggesting a time limit between posts..that would have to be a game mechanic..most would just then post with an alt. I would just like all ads mandatory to trade channel and no chat channels.

• Like 1

Would honestly prefer people limited to one line every few seconds, to prevent the spam of multiple lines. If someone is selling multiple things at once they should try to combine it into one post, or link it to a forum post, it's just much easier. 

IMO trade channel should be used for quick trades, like "WTS specific item" not "WTS EVERYTHING PM ME!" x5

Just now, Nicrolis said:

+1 as long as they can still post up to 2 lines imo.

Multiple lines are fine I think, multiple posts (several presses of the enter key) are a bit spammy.

• Like 1

Just now, Wolfey said:

Multiple lines are fine I think, multiple posts (several presses of the enter key) are a bit spammy.

Exactly.

For what I think is OK!

[23:36:17] <Wolfey> WTS <Link to forum post> Buy several building supplies here!

What I think isn't OK!

[23:36:17] <Wolfey> WTS <Link to forum post> Buy your bulk supplies here!
[23:36:18] <Wolfey> WTS rare chisel 5s
[23:36:19] <Wolfey> WTS rare long sword 10s
[23:35:21] <Wolfey> WTS Several rares! <link to image>

I've seen the latter post several times in trade, it's not even hyperbole.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Omgderp said:

13:20:42] <ToffeeMaker> (Xan) WTS Having a thriving market bring your money!!!!! Location at G 56 on Xanadu. We have tools, weapons, enchanting, decorations, dyes, pickles, corn and Wheaties to make you strong. Can use gems or sleep powders to trade. Come over and see what we have.

[13:20:44] <ToffeeMaker> (Xan) WTS Assorted horses, all colors including the new purple and rainbow ones, 5 speeds for 50,000 paso Hell horses are for sale good names like "Getty up" "Don'tgottarunlikeanoob"  4 and 5 speeds available.

[13:20:45] <ToffeeMaker> (Xan) WTS Selling enchanted weapons with woa, coc, nib, tbs, cbc, uk, std 70, 80, 90 for the extra elite we also stock 120. We also have light sabre's in green and aqua and for those not classy shiv's...yup shiv a neighbor, teach them not to cut your trees.

[13:20:47] <ToffeeMaker> (Xan) WTS  have over 10,000 sleep powders, a rare chisel with coc 107 and because we are THAT DAMN GOOD a supreme rake with 90,000woa so when you farm you actually GET time back, cool right?

Can pretty much be broken down to

13:20:42] <ToffeeMaker>  wts at Market G 56 on Xanadu, Enchanted Tools, Weapons, Various Items and Horses. www.forum.wurmonline.com/wanttosellsection/AdvertisementPostLink.

Without all the bullcrap

Don't even need 2 lines. Just 1, thats right Just 1.

Edited by Stormblade
  • Like 1

CMs could just throw warnings around, would work like a miracle, I suppose. Maybe I would get one too, but you definitely don't need any technical means like forced time limits between posts or alike.

• Like 1

What I think is 1 unique ad every 5 minutes and not allowed to repeat same ad for 20 (xx)  minutes

2 hours ago, Damascus said:

Surprise how well ignore works for traders also...

This seems a pretty sensible solution. If traders realise they're being '/ignored' for their typing habits, they'll stop doing it because it could cost them sales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hordern said:

This seems a pretty sensible solution. If traders realise they're being '/ignored' for their typing habits, they'll stop doing it because it could cost them sales.

I agree, and I've used this, the problem is that it keeps continuing to become the standard to spam multiple lines in advertisements, much like real life, they figure the one who shouts the loudest gets the most sales and soon everyone is doing it because they feel in order to compete they have to beef up their advertisement.