Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

A Real Lighthouse

For ages we have been designing lighthouse-ish buildings and trying to find the strongest lights we can to power them, yet from a distance, all current lights end up failing at their intended purpose. I propose we add a new structure:  The Lighthouse.

Have 3 different building material styles, to match the current building styles of today.  The structures look like a lighthouse (possibly rounded).  They are very bright!  Can be seen from 3-5x the distance of a typical light fixture.  Doesn't need to be climbable - much like a guard tower.  Light can be dyed.

Super special feature:  They can be seen through fog!

Restrictions for building:

1. Must be within 10 tiles of open water.

2. Must be on a deed that touches open water.

3. Lighting power is relative to deed size, so we don't just have a ton of 1s secondary deeds making lighthouses.

4. Limited to 1 per deed.

I know longer lighting effect distances can be problematic, but Make this light only effect the local shadows/terrain/structures in a small radius, but the light source be seen from far away.  That should help performance and not impact all the neighbors lighting.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 8

I would love a light source that is a real light house, that you build like you do a guard tower. So it's a lot of resources but it's just one tall structure.

• Like 4

Perhaps instead of focusing on the building, focus on a light source with the same properties you mentioned? This way everybody can design their own lighthouse.

There'd probably also needs to be a limit of 1 of these per deed, and perhaps a mimimum deed size required before it becomes any better than a normal light source, as there's probably a good technical reason why current light sources cannot be seen from far away.

• Like 4

+1 And I agree with combining all the restrictions that have been mentioned.

Ecrir, yes, I meant to list the limit of 1 per deed.  Thank you for adding that in.  I'll edit the post to reflect.Must have that to keep folks from planting 50 of them.  But, I really would like to see a unique new building, much like guard houses, but designed to fit in with existing architectures.

Edited by Wurmhole

Just a powerful light source, then you can cram it where ever one wants.

yep have to agree, having a light house is good but having a strong light source would be loads better imo

+0,5 because it needs more restrictions

Lighting connected to deed size in a matter of differences in power is not much of a restriction. 11x11 deeds would still litter the world with them. Make the lighthouses able to be built on 20x20 deeds and bigger.

Then +1.

Every 100 tiles and within ~50(?) tiles from water (because when you build it on a cliff, there's a lot of rock tiles to water). Deed size restrictions are stupid. Many lighthouses are built in remote places with maybe 1 house of the lighthouse keeper nearby.

+1 to lighthouses visible from 100+ tiles, if it's technicaly possible.

Edited by zigozag

+1

Since this is going to be a HUGE LIGHTBULB in the neighborhood, +1-2-3-4-5-6-7..... for client-side settings to lower or turn off any kind of light from such constructions;

This is going to help a lot with sailing/traveling and just looking for the yello'/brown/pink/red/.... lighthouse to reach home or some merchant; on the other hand. neighbors might not be that happy about the light at night;)

:ph34r:

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:17 AM, Ohana said:

I would love a light source that is a real light house, that you build like you do a guard tower. So it's a lot of resources but it's just one tall structure.

*agrees*

Having a Lighthouse designed structure that would be built on the same principal as a Guard Tower makes a lot of sense. Probably the only tricky part of it would be the lighting effect at the top. Not too sure how that could be worked out. Even a rotating light source up there would be an excellent effect.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I would love to have a light house. Even better if it has an actual fog horn! Re. annoying your neighbors with bright lights: could it not be a normal light source in clear weather, and swap to Fog Wrecker mode when the fog comes in?

Edit:

Edited by Rusk

I've posted in the past about this too.  Be nice if the lighthouse would show in the far distance since rendering only goes so far.  Also make them very hard to make and can't have them near each other like by 200 tiles or something.

What if the light entity is more of a beam that doesn't really provide any light (think of a version of the xmas light but normal looking) but can warn ships and be a beacon. This would avoid the lighting system limitations per tile and make the beam go for however long of a distance you want (because those beams of light go on forever and I assume you can set their size and even perhaps make them into a cone, etc).

Currently my best solution is a tall tower with a flat wood floor to the next level and a marble brazier placed on top. It's the only thing so far that provides a light glow from a reasonable distance. I can see it quite far on the steppes. I think a brighter/bigger light source would be great. My eye of sauron building needs a new eye lol.