Sign in to follow this  
Zuelatak

Have the game Appeal to Roleplayers

I feel that the only REAL thing that Wurm needs is the ability to use your mic ingame and chat with people in your local area. Anyone else who has some good ideas for Wurm to make a it a better RP game please do reply with your idea.

Use to be in the game but was removed because no one used it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rasu said:

Use to be in the game but was removed because no one used it.

It was garbage and costed 1s to use further than a half tile. (local voice range was comically bad)

Barely had any customization either.

• Like 3

and was only used to trash talk enemies during combat or baiting new players into caves to slaughter them and thus stealing their affinities *cough* tonygreen *cough*

Actually it was removed because of people using it, and various issues that arose: technically, socially, and etc.

Far as the OP goes, personally having a mic wont help much in terms of roleplay. The few times Ive seen roleplay games actually function (and this was waaay back on MUDS) was due to extensive enforced monitoring by a dedicated staff. Even then issues and accusations would arise, people are people.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

" I'd like to hear everyone's voice at some unique slaying or impalong ":rolleyes:

There's a bunch of voip apps that run for free, at the top of the list atm is discord, start a group there and invite everyone in your village/alliance.. give it a chance;)

I'd not trust to hear just about anyone who runs trough local.. have you seen the naked noobs, imagine if they could talk... :ph34r:

• Like 2

The only thing that will promote roleplay are roleplayers, and a community that shuts itself off from the rest of Wurm completely.

9 hours ago, Klaa said:

Actually it was removed because of people using it, and various issues that arose: technically, socially, and etc.

Far as the OP goes, personally having a mic wont help much in terms of roleplay. The few times Ive seen roleplay games actually function (and this was waaay back on MUDS) was due to extensive enforced monitoring by a dedicated staff. Even then issues and accusations would arise, people are people.

Ive seen more recent roleplay games work, but with systems that are built specifically for that purpose, and also heavily moderated.  Its the nature of the game to have a director of some sort, not only to mediate, but to move stories along too.

You don't need a mic for roleplay. You need people for roleplay. That's what we should focus on.

• Like 4

The point is they need to fix the in game voice coms and put them back in. If that was a part of Wurm Unlimited I can guarantee people will host servers that moderate the voice coms and remove people who abuse them. Anyone here who has played a lot of games where people create roleplaying servers would know that you usually have to go through a whitelisting process where you talk about your character and such, people can report you if you don't follow the rules, etc, etc. There are lots of easy measures that can be put in place to make a really cool roleplaying community in a game. However, it starts with voice coms. Unless someone wants to create a mod like "Task Force Radio" for Arma 3/TS3 so that people can talk in game, using outside programs like Discord/TS3/Vent would be useless. You'd always hear everyone on the server no matter where they are. That doesn't make for good roleplay. 

I think doing it for Wurm Unlimited is a very different proposition than for Wurm Online.  You should have led with that :)

Voices coming through the speaker would freak out my dog, so it's not for me personally, but for Wurm Unlimited I could see value in it.  If only because there would always be options for servers with no voice comms... even within one cluster of servers if need be.

I don't think it's necessarily a good idea for Wurm Online, as others have noted from their own experience. 

There's also a certain mystery in voiceless comms that works for this type of game too, in terms of roleplay.  How do you roleplay a Scottish angry woman on the plains if you're an old French dude in a basement by the subway with voice comms?  Monty Python could do it, but doubt most people could pull it off.

• Like 1

Roleplay with text in local. I don't know why you would think voice is "necessary", it isn't.

Apparently you have particular idea of roleplay in mind. Well, as noted above, get an external server and use it when you arrange a meeting with your alliance. At least, at a meeting you're all supposed to be in the same area. See how it works. Maybe use text too - or maybe some will, and you might see it's perfectly doable in text too. Take it from there. Learn from the experiment how else it's okay with you all.

• Like 1

Player voices would ruin game immersion for me. I would turn off all wurm sounds, but then i would have people irritated that i was ignoring them because i could not hear them. Also I raised four teenagers who loved gaming (as well as the adults) and the house got dreadfully noisy anytime people were doing raids etc because any of them using mics tended to continually raise their voices over time until you could hear them across the house, Especially bad for those of us who quietly play games at night when the rest of the house is asleep.

I would love to see more positive roleplay elements encouraged but i agree it needs to start with the players themselves, and i believe voice programs do more harm to real roleplay than good as you'll get constant intrusions from 'modern" chitchat (except on strictly enforced servers) .  There are i believe some Wurm Unlimited servers who use serverwide Discord channels or something. I don;t use those servers so i am not sure. It's almost never on the "RP" servers that i notice it. Mostly fast action oriented/pvp style servers that i seem to see it listed.

Anyway, the devs DID give it a shot, it did not work as well in practice as in theory, and it was removed. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

I think Pag's chat channel idea works better for this. 

As much as I enjoyed playing a game with team chat, I can't imagine having to hear people in local. I can barely stand global/server chat some days so hearing a whole bunch of people trying to be clever and/or edgy sounds like torture. Not only that, but while many people in game are decent to okay at English typing, speaking is another issue. Moderation would be harder.