Sign in to follow this  
morlan

Wurm Radio and VOIP

Hi,

I have been thinking about starting a virtual radio station. I have done this for many years before and can obtain the LOML and other licenses if needed too. So, What I'm doing is asking you all what you think. I would be willing to cover the station costs and organize the technical requirements. In order to be successful I would need to take on some more DJ's to expand coverage times.

I also host a dedicated mumble server, so if you would like to use it FOR FREE contact me in game, I am willing to give you a dedicated channel for your alliance or settlement with the mayor getting control over their own channel.

So, what do you think? would you like to help? would you listen in?

Morlanius

• Like 2

I would definitely listen. During the years I primarily played Eve Online it was a habit to listen to the Eve-Radio.com which made the gaming experience in several ways more immersing. And back in those days their playlists fit with my taste... along with occasional Eve Online songs. It was also fun how they added those spaceships emergency sounds in the end of songs near when they smooth to next song, surely made the listener switch attention very undivided to the game.

They also had talks and news about both ingame politics and game mechanics/changes/updates. Also community "events" like "Find the DJ to Win a Prize"...

So its success indeed lies heavily on the DJ´s and the creativity in providing some Wurm-related content. Since if its merely a station just going trough a playlist then it will never beat everyones own private customized playlist composed of favorite songs.

I sat in the wurm TS for a month, only saw the same few people (3)  in their own settlement channels.
For someone as eternally un-allianced as me, i kinda yearn for VOIP. 

I think a radio station might increase activity. 
Im not sure what most ppl are using (ts/mumble/dis) but id gladly attend as a listener if something were to happen.

Edited by Steveleeb

Discord is imo, the best voip platform out atm, but mumble/ts works as well I suppose.

Okay, this is brilliant feedback!

If anyone wants to join the mumble server the address is: lifemud.com on the default port for mumble (so you don't need to change the port number)

In mumble: Connect -> add new . label = anything you like, address/IP = lifemud.com

There should be some admins in there if you need help (Edwards, Morlan, KatirAllie or Radar) if you want your channel set up you will need to get me to do it for you and if you want ownership controls over your channel you need to register (right click your name and click register, there is no form or anything).

Morlanius

• Like 1

I'd listen depending on music playlist. I've had the desire to be more social in Wurm recently and after trying out the Wurm TS server and hearing crickets I kind of lost interest. A Wurm Radio voip setup might be the way to go. I have used/use TS, Mumble, C3, I looked into Discord and didn't like how it's set up.

Edited by geode

I like listening to podcasts or music playlists when playing, would definitely give a Wurm radio a listen.

I always have music or other audio media on the background.  Id tune in, it all depends on the content broadcasted.

What's ts and mumble:blink: when there's DISCORD and it's new, free, etc...

You could start with your own program from xx to yy hours XYZ timezone.. and play random songs when you're not around to 'dj' things manually, while still looking for more djs to help.

I can't promise more than checking your program at least once.. usually I have other background audio twitch, youtube, other music or silence:ph34r:

• Like 1

What's ts and mumble:blink: when there's DISCORD and it's new, free, etc...

Mumble is a free open source VOIP client (Voice Over IP, voice chat). I run a server and have this service running which I am opening out access to for anyone to use. I will create perma-channels for alliances and settlement owners if asked.

You could start with your own program from xx to yy hours XYZ timezone.. and play random songs when you're not around to 'dj' things manually, while still looking for more djs to help.

I've done this before and yes I would have a regular advertised show and would encourage other DJ's to join in and do the same. The system will probably have a standing payload of a few hundred songs what would play in a (semi) random order when no DJ is present.

This will be using a dedicated media streaming service not streaming music into mumble.

I anticipate shows that involve some local news, discussion about updates, advertising as well as good music. I think it would be really cool, especially if we could get DJ's and listeners from all over Wurm so people would be getting news and interaction from all the different servers, not to mention the difference in music choices.

I would also be open to merchants and marketplace owners to create a short advert that can be added into the stream.

Edited by morlan

I would try listening to this. It would be fun if the DJ read news reports too. Maybe volunteer to DJ also.

This sounds fun!

I've been involved with internet radio stations in the past (had my own weekly show on spirituality and the paranormal). The licensing is quite expensive and restrictive... you're up for that?

• Like 1

This sounds like an awesome idea. Make sure to have a listener requests period, 90's dance needs a revival!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Araninke said:

This sounds fun!

I've been involved with internet radio stations in the past (had my own weekly show on spirituality and the paranormal). The licensing is quite expensive and restrictive... you're up for that?

Yes, I have had licenses before and my LOML is still in-date There is another one but there is a 6 month leeway on that (to allow for viability testing). But its not all that expensive really as you pay for the year or part of a year depending on when you get it, and there are discounts.

The recordkeeping side of it can be a pain, but I plan to use a pro service for it that will monitor all that, I just need any DJ's that sign on to stick to their show times and/or make a log of times they are on air as play count and listener base play a role in the data that needs to be collected and reported monthly, but like I said I have done this before and its no real fuss.

• Like 1

I dug the history and found this forum thread:

During the years there has been music streams people set up and called them "radios" but I remember Williamscott's attempt probably falls closest to what morlan has in mind. Williamscott just did not air long enough to become known (they succeeded to try for about 2 weeks.) But their establishment was quite good; Website with embedded radio player, stream link, facebook page, twitter feed and own IRC channel in rizon for "full global community chat box inside game client".

Morlan, you might wanna check that ancient thread and who knows if there is something to spark thought in your mind while youre pursuing this endeavor. :)

join epic or chaos the whole kingdom sits in teamspeak like in any other mmo

Is the built-in VOIP still a thing in WO? You could organize a life performance... :P

Our network has a mix of music shows (some pre-recorded and scheduled) and live talk radio shows. It also cycles through and airs old shows during the downtimes when there isn't a scheduled show, dj, host etc.

Again, bad idea, especially if the Staff is backing this it leaves them open for what I perceive as legal issues.

Even a quick serch shows that you Do have to have a license to stream music such as you're talking about.

ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC charge a fee for online streaming, separate from the fee they charge for broadcast radio transmissions. So, if you are transmitting music over broadcast radio and also live streaming/simulcasting music online, you must obtain two separate licenses from these PROs, in additional to the one from SoundExchange.

Do I have to have a license to live stream music

Short answer, Yes you do have to have a license to do what you're suggestion, and for the those wurm staff that are going 'great idea' lets look into it.  Well you need to actually look into it.

The staff haven't backed it at all, it was just in the community content.