Sign in to follow this  
Sindusk

[RELEASED] (Server) Server Player Counter

The purpose of this mod is to correct the player count displayed on the Server List to accurately match the /who command in-game. The reason I'm releasing this mod is because of a recent attack on myself and Zenath's server that you can see my response to here. I'd rather server owners simply use this mod themselves rather than fight against the servers that use it.

I'm no stranger to being lynched for sharing "controversial" mods, and I expect this to be no different. If you want to attack me for making this public, go for it. I kind of hate myself, honestly, a little bit for doing this. But at the end of the day, it's probably for the best of the server landscape.

Server Player Counter (Google Drive)

I just really hope people don't push this over the edge to the point where it's unreasonable. I know that myself and Zenath currently aren't, despite already using this method.

Edited by Sindusk
  • Like 1

will this mod combine the value of players from all clusters too? that would be cool because my loginserver is most showing 0-5 players while round 20 players are on the connected maps.

Edit: speaking about the server list

Edited by Eject

Yes, it does connect and display the combined total from every server in the cluster.

In general this mod tends to improve accuracy of the player count regardless of server.

Edited by Sindusk
  • Like 1

awesome thank you :)

Edit: Oh last question...its ok if i upload the mod just to the main server that is listed in the wurm-servers list?

And what is to do with the java file?

thanks again

Eject

Edited by Eject

9 hours ago, RonBuan said:

I am assuming this just gets thrown into the mods folder?

I dont know how this java file will be started on a hosting provider :/

Edited by Eject

Oh. My bad. The link was to the source, not the mod. I'll change the link now, apologize for that. Now it should be plug and play.

@Eject to answer your question, yes, just the login server needs the mod, I believe.

Edited by Sindusk
  • Like 1

I'm glad this is public.  I've always felt that the vanilla way that the server browser represents player count was horribly wrong.  If WO was subject to the same system, it would show a player count of 0 too, which we all know is nonsense.  Before I knew that the server browser was subtracting from the actual player character count in multiple ways, I assumed that it would have reported the cluster's count found in /who.  Since that's what this mod does, I would say every server needs this mod.