Sign in to follow this  
Jenshiye

RNG + combat next priorities, please.

twitch combat doesn't really work in MMOs like this, you need instanced, localised servers or you're screwed.

also the RNG is fine, it literally is just a random number, negative bias runs strong though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

twitch combat doesn't really work in MMOs like this, you need instanced, localised servers or you're screwed.

also the RNG is fine, it literally is just a random number, negative bias runs strong though

EVE has probably the best PVP combat system I have played in an MMO and it is not a twitch game.

RNG can be weighted on skill, so if you have 90 skill then you have more chance of making 70-90 QL items than 1-90 QL

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

starships is very different to medieval combat!

Waste of Web (WoW) and Anarchy Online have similar F1-F8 and 1-9 key combination, etc and making for more engaging combat, similar to how EVE works the ship modules.

12 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

When did the RNG became fine? I must have missed that memo, it is the ugly default java random generator, measuring random numbers based on time functions because Wurm only uses the default constructor most of the times.

Every RNG needs a seed and Wurm uses the default seed which is:

public Random() {
    this(seedUniquifier() ^ System.nanoTime());
}

Obviously anything with just time is bad and Wurm is using this almost everywhere. Next is that the seed is not even changed once... It would be a bit less dramatic if you would change the seed, but the Random class is currently called on server start and finish. You have to find a bunch of values making things a lot more random, changing seeds constantly, then it will feel more like 50/50.

If you need a more random algorithm, use java.security.SecureRandom, I haven't found any recomendations for java.util.Random in bigger applications, so I do see a big problem here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jenshiye said:

Waste of Web (WoW) and Anarchy Online have similar F1-F8 and 1-9 key combination, etc and making for more engaging combat, similar to how EVE works the ship modules.

For example:

We could have weapon setups in slots and we could toggle between Tool Belt and Combat menu with the Tab key.

Need a large weapon? Hit the number and pull your large axe out.

Sword and shield? Another number.

Two weapons? Another.

Could toggle stances closer to the movement buttons.

Could activate a Rift shoulder pad for a -50% ranged damage for 15 seconds with a cool down of 4 minutes.

Q could target next nearest enemy.

Edited by Jenshiye

On 22/11/2016 at 6:21 PM, Sklo:D said:

If you need a more random algorithm, use java.security.SecureRandom, I haven't found any recomendations for java.util.Random in bigger applications, so I do see a big problem here.

Could it be that we have a niche of the gaming demographic who like to complain about the RNG in this game?

Made a meal, no fat, protein and such. Made another meal with the same components but fried and get stuff.

Made a stew with many components to raise the difficulty ... bad nutrition ... less than a two component meal.

Most of my group have stopped logging into Wurm, only three of us log on time to time now. Two of us to tend the crops and animals. One doing their own solo thing.

Their gripes? Grind, combat and random qualities / results.

22 minutes ago, Jenshiye said:

Made a meal, no fat, protein and such. Made another meal with the same components but fried and get stuff.

Made a stew with many components to raise the difficulty ... bad nutrition ... less than a two component meal.

Most of my group have stopped logging into Wurm, only three of us log on time to time now. Two of us to tend the crops and animals. One doing their own solo thing.

Their gripes? Grind, combat and random qualities / results.

It does get very tedious as most MMOs do, but when you feel like you NEED to log in to tend fields/animals/structures it starts to feel like a second life.

I can log onto Guild Wars 2 now and do my dailies in about 10minutes... Wurm: tend fields (20mins) with a reasonably sized farm.

15 hours ago, Jenshiye said:

Just to touch on that, that's based on the CCFP of ingredients as well as the meal itself, simple meals won't raise much, but if you find one with multiple steps (kielbasas and bangers and mash are popular) they fill CCFP rather fast and give good nutrition.

On 11/22/2016 at 0:21 PM, Sklo:D said:

When did the RNG became fine? I must have missed that memo, it is the ugly default java random generator, measuring random numbers based on time functions because Wurm only uses the default constructor most of the times.

Every RNG needs a seed and Wurm uses the default seed which is:

public Random() {
    this(seedUniquifier() ^ System.nanoTime());
}

Obviously anything with just time is bad and Wurm is using this almost everywhere. Next is that the seed is not even changed once... It would be a bit less dramatic if you would change the seed, but the Random class is currently called on server start and finish. You have to find a bunch of values making things a lot more random, changing seeds constantly, then it will feel more like 50/50.

Would be nice to get some feedback on what Sklo put here.

16 hours ago, KyleBooze said:

It does get very tedious as most MMOs do, but when you feel like you NEED to log in to tend fields/animals/structures it starts to feel like a second life.

That's when it's time to plant some grass and let your fields lie fallow a while.  Give your animals some enchanted grass to munch on and space enough not to catch a disease.  Drop in a good cushion of upkeep... and take a break.  Wurm definitely can be a second life, and a really cool one at that, but whenever I start to feel a little too sucked in... time to download something else for a while.

Or, do a bit of the above but not like you're closing for a whole season, just enough not to be home a while... Pack a boat with what you'll need to make what you'll need, and sail off on an adventure.  Getting far enough off deed to need improvising, fear for my life, or meet cool natives, always does a lot to rekindle my love for the game.

Far as combat, seems to me Wurm has the right underpinnings.  Things like striking specific areas of your opponent for particular effect is not something every game has, by a long shot imho.  It has a solid foundation to build on.  I wouldn't really talk about a complete overhaul but rather what can be done to grow the current system to a more commonly palatable form.

What I would imagine as an eas(ier) start might be a bit more visual feedback so my eyes don't have to focus on the text quite as much, but can look at my screen as a whole.  I know I've mentioned this before... but just as we now have the red circle of doom closing up on the screen when death approaches, a similar mechanic could indicate where the opponent is directing his/her/its attacks as they switch so we can compensate accordingly.

I'm sure there's far more imaginative people who can give better suggestions, but I'd focus on the system we have and what layer(s) we can build on top of it.

/2i

• Like 2

I hit the second life bit years ago and burnt out on it. Had played too many MMOs already to blindly keep playing Wurm.

Now I pop in time to time but my stays are shorter and shorter (including more months but less played time). Core still rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by Jenshiye