Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #43 Treats, no Tricks

I we still expecting a November Release for cooking?  Or will the cookbook redesign push it back at all?

• Like 1

Thanks for the rune system. Sounds familiar to something I discussed awhile back. ;)

Edited by Niki

I like the rune system, sort of a second, more utility based enchantment system.

On mail limits, I agree with others that the limit should just be flat out removed. Interesting mail-runes could be things like:
1. Rune that causes the item to be instantly delivered no mater what the enchantment on the mailbox, rune consumed on use.
2. Rune that lifts the usual volume or weight limitations. rune consumed on use.

• Like 2

Buffs here, buffs there, spell resistances, now runes.

Cannot help thinking some devs may play too much WoW, and not enough Wurm :/

• Like 11

The upcoming food update is probably a good opportunity to revisit the weird problems relating to the forestry skill, since forestry products will see broader usage now.

I refer of course to the problem where harvesting difficulty scales with skill in such a way that, when combined with how tool QL and skill rolls work, can actually result in you getting worse (or at least not better) product QL at higher skill.

Has been reported by multiple people over a period of years:

Obvious solution is to just stop scaling difficulty in such a way, or at least make it less harsh.

I think foraging and botanizing have similar difficulty curves, but maybe it doesn't matter as much because tools aren't involved? It's worth a look.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, geode said:

It will take away from what is NOW the core aspects of the game because the game is changing and it's core is changing. Again. You can rebel against it and play the game the way you prefer to but be prepared for the ingame economic and social consequences of taking your own path.

Good work, Wurm Team

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide

• Like 1

A thought just hit me: Fo priests can't gather rift materials -_-

Well looks like I'll be begging/borrowing for reagents from folks then if I want to see any of these new runes.  They're essentially non-priest magic since there is at least one type of material unobtaianble for each priest.

I dislike this notion, I dislike it a lot.  Folks who don't pay the price shouldn't be getting the magic, unless of course that price gets drastically lowered.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sila said:

after 1.3 there will be no decay on decorations insite of deed with 30days+*?  confirm pls

On 9/30/2016 at 10:56 AM, Retrograde said:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/145597-weekly-news-39-measuring-up/

With the upcoming cooking update, all decorative items on a deed with over 30 days upkeep will no longer take decay ticks!

Looking back at news #39, I am still looking forward for the automated map dumps.

YAY! I won something ! WOW Thank you guys ! :D You made my day ! I feel real special now :) All that cooking madness, exploration of new items and discovery of cool recipes and those bee stings are well worth the effort.

Speaking of bee stings, I got few questions:

1. HOTAs functionality and eating meals while it is hot - with new cooking system does it means that it doesn't matter anymore if you eat prepared food hot or cold and heat will not improve nutritional values? Which brings question regarding HOTA statues. Are they going to become just useless pretty decor after update?

2.Bee hives and stings poisons - first of all I am not sure about security of bee hives being left in wilderness placed near wild bee hives. Will we have option to plant them or lock them so nobody else will steal them while we waiting for queen migration? And how to heal those poisons from bee stings ? I have misfortune to touch bee hive and got message that I have sting which will last for 1day LOL and attempt to heal it can lead to death ( cant remember exact message ). I tried to apply cotton, heal cover or salve and it didn't worked. Does it means we will have new healing salves or it was a bug?

3. Old traditional wine decay- as I understood this is not going to work after update ? And wine after fermentation can't be left in open barrel and need to be sealed in jars to prevent it from decay and will not get higher ql over time ?

4. Question to Devs, with all these redesigns and bug fixes etc if there is specific date set for major update ? If November release still planned according to a schedule?

Thanks!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rhea said:

3. Old traditional wine decay- as I understood this is not going to work after update ? And wine after fermentation can't be left in open barrel and need to be sealed in jars to prevent it from decay and will not get higher ql over time ?

This'll be a good way to piss off about 100 people.  Incoming support tickets 4 months from now saying "hey wtf did my wine go?".

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Rhea said:

I've been specifically told by staff that "positive decay" for wine will be changed so you no longer have to store it off-deed/outside in order to maximize QL gain... so it sounds like it's getting better rather than being removed.

• Like 2

So does this mean we have to take veal Francesca, a chef salad and escargo in my backpack every time I go PvPing?  Or will "meals" still give a decent nutrition rating going forward?

I won. Yay, thank you. :lol: I'm really looking forward to the future changes. I'm thinking I may just reorder my vineyard a bit to become a brewery as well. Bring on the new recipes. However, I hope that if you have more than one hive around you don't get a bunch of individual messages from all of them.

Welp, I better get on storing up reeds so I have plenty to plant. I've already got a bunch of woad to use for ink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

I've been specifically told by staff that "positive decay" for wine will be changed so you no longer have to store it off-deed/outside in order to maximize QL gain... so it sounds like it's getting better rather than being removed.

Can you be more specific please how it will be changed ? Ty!

Just now, Rhea said:

Right now, it's mostly affected by the stuff that affects normal decay, so you're encouraged to make it "decay" faster by keeping it outside and/or off-deed. This should no longer be the case in the upcoming update. I don't think we've been told anything more specific than that, like if the barrel needs to be sealed or if it works in other containers, or what other factors might affect it (barrel rarity please).

9 minutes ago, Rhea said:

He can't, he's not on the dev team!

Sealing wine and other spirits will allow for them to gain quality without being forced to rely on decay ticks. meaning you don't have to jump through hurdles to maximise decay on them (outside off deed yadda yadda)

This means that the system will allow for the proper creation and storage of wine

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

So does this mean we have to take veal Francesca, a chef salad and escargo in my backpack every time I go PvPing?  Or will "meals" still give a decent nutrition rating going forward?

meals will still give good nutrition, the CCFP bonuses and temporary affinities will require the snails and frogs legs

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

The upcoming food update is probably a good opportunity to revisit the weird problems relating to the forestry skill, since forestry products will see broader usage now.

I refer of course to the problem where harvesting difficulty scales with skill in such a way that, when combined with how tool QL and skill rolls work, can actually result in you getting worse (or at least not better) product QL at higher skill.

Has been reported by multiple people over a period of years:

Obvious solution is to just stop scaling difficulty in such a way, or at least make it less harsh.

I think foraging and botanizing have similar difficulty curves, but maybe it doesn't matter as much because tools aren't involved? It's worth a look.

Will be raising this!

2 hours ago, Darmalus said:

I like the rune system, sort of a second, more utility based enchantment system.

On mail limits, I agree with others that the limit should just be flat out removed. Interesting mail-runes could be things like:
1. Rune that causes the item to be instantly delivered no mater what the enchantment on the mailbox, rune consumed on use.
2. Rune that lifts the usual volume or weight limitations. rune consumed on use.

Well there will be runes that reduce the volume and weight, but if you're talking mail, that's an idea, will pass it on

6 hours ago, Banzai said:

Cool. Thanks for the source rift extensions.

But reducing weight is going to be OP. Increasing volume capacity as well.
I can already see 1kg total weight PvPer with a max volume BoK. But I'm sure you guys will work out a good balance. 

6 hours ago, MrGARY said:

I doubt it would be that extreme or it would be way OP per rune, but personally I think it could just be denied working on armor/weapon/shield/boks/mboks, so it works on all the tools and stuff that people don't really bring to pvp anyway, so it's still a minor plus for both pvp/pve

There's also considering if it makes a 5+kg breastplate 4.8kg instead or something, there's not a whole lot of use in totally saving a total weight % of your plate set amounting to like 2-3kg unless it's a beginner player that has barely enough body strength to walk with plate.  Edit:  ofc if it's 100% permanent there's no reason not to

Hopefully we find all the bonuses out before they're released and we can point out balance issues

5 hours ago, Zekezor said:

Uh...

This doesn't affect movement speed of armours, right...?

edit: and for the love of god make BOK's non-expandable.

Not all runes will work on all items, and only one rune per item, so you wont wind up with infinite bok space and so on.

We'll be sure to run through all bonuses, but might not go into detail about how to achieve each bonus

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the idea that limited access resources (rift resources) will be the star in the upcoming rune system. If you guys want to make some cool looking decoration stuff from the rift items, awsome. But functional things that give benefits is a bad idea.

imo, it would be far better, for example, if we could say break down 1000 logs, 1000 iron lump into two objects. Then, combine those together to make a rune.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhea said:

2.Bee hives and stings poisons - first of all I am not sure about security of bee hives being left in wilderness placed near wild bee hives. Will we have option to plant them or lock them so nobody else will steal them while we waiting for queen migration? And how to heal those poisons from bee stings ? I have misfortune to touch bee hive and got message that I have sting which will last for 1day LOL and attempt to heal it can lead to death ( cant remember exact message ). I tried to apply cotton, heal cover or salve and it didn't worked. Does it means we will have new healing salves or it was a bug?

These bee stings are something that concerns me as well. I don't want to chop down some tree in the way that has a bee hive in it, then be stung and have my stats reduced until I heal up with something other than cotton. Or even walking too close to a bee hive somewhere and be stung. Another goofy aggro detrimental effect like those fog spiders which damage can't be healed with cotton. Not good. Stop the aggro madness!

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Make sure time spent getting +10% skillgain from a temporary affinity is less than 10% of it's longevity.

Perhaps look into an option where we can equip torches to burn/destroy beehives and rogue bees if they happen to appear in trees that we use for harvesting, or need to remove to clear land?  

Also, for a wurm future where we can create glass, keep this idea on the backburner:  Glass bottles could be handy to add to beehives to fill with honey over time, like this idea http://removeandreplace.com/2013/05/07/how-to-easily-make-a-beehive-in-a-jar-backyard-project-diy/

beehive-in-a-jar.jpg

• Like 2

bee stings can be healed, if the ycan't its a bug.

Having a lit smoker will also prevent stings, you'll only be stung if opening the hive, or cutting down the tree with a hive in it

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Xandra said:

Buffs here, buffs there, spell resistances, now runes.

Cannot help thinking some devs may play too much WoW, and not enough Wurm :/

This game is going way over the top with it... I would've settled for Rift furniture, but now I gotta work with a whole 'nother subsystem...

• Like 1

I can't help but see that this is their way of trying to do something with the market.  All I see is well you can sell this or you can buy that.  From the recipes to now the runes.

• Like 2

Ok...deep breath.

i don't have time to test.

i have a smc with 98ql meals. This keeps my nutrition around 96%.

will this update change that? Will I be forced to do something else to keep my nutrition st 96%?

thanks.