Sign in to follow this  
pepofaec

Who are you using for WU hosting?

With Citadel Servers seemingly exiting the scene and Bluefang having a bad reputation who exactly are you using to host your WU servers? I see so many up and running and yet no one seems to disclose in their server description who they're paying or buddying up with. 

I use ovh.ca on a dedicated linux server. I haven't tried anything lower then that with them. I can say that their DDOS protection and hardware has been very, very good (3 servers so far).

Like Nappy said OVH.ca are dirt cheap servers.  Have had some issues.. they over stack boxes which you share with other people.  It's pretty mixed as far as service.  https://www.nfoservers.com/ NFO is pretty decent.  Slightly more expensive, better service over all.  A lot less routing issues for sure.

https://www.hetzner.de/en/ If you want a big league server.  Especially if you want to play other games as well.  Easy to get a VM up and run windows servers off of it.  I've never had an issue with mine.  100% satisfied.

Of course these cheap prices require you to most likely know some form of Linux.  Unless you want to pay for Windows.

10 minutes ago, Samusen said:

Like Nappy said OVH.ca are dirt cheap servers.  Have had some issues.. they over stack boxes which you share with other people.  It's pretty mixed as far as service.  https://www.nfoservers.com/ NFO is pretty decent.  Slightly more expensive, better service over all.  A lot less routing issues for sure.

With ovh.ca when you say shared do you mean with their shared VPS etc options or are you saying they actual share out the dedicated servers?

I'm renting a dedicated server from Hetzner, incidentally so does rolf for WO.

If you look in the serverbidding section you can find some pretty great options for low prices. It is an unmanaged server so you do need to know WTF you're doing :P

If you are goimg to have over 50 players online on your servers/cluster, (50 is a round about figure). You may run into,issues with thread thrashing, as we found out on Ages of Urath cluster.

Edited by bigsteve
grammer

47 minutes ago, bigsteve said:

If you are goimg to have over 50 players online on your servers/cluster, (50 is a round about figure). You may run into,issues with thread thrashing, as we found out on Ages of Urath cluster.

You mean with Citadel?

2 hours ago, bigsteve said:

Had some of that problem with Valoria but since the last couple of Wu updates those issues seemed to have stopped for us on Valoria. Though we never had it as bad as Urath to begin with.

16 hours ago, pepofaec said:

With Citadel Servers seemingly exiting the scene and Bluefang having a bad reputation who exactly are you using to host your WU servers? I see so many up and running and yet no one seems to disclose in their server description who they're paying or buddying up with. 

Curious to know what bad rep does bluefang have since that's what Valoria is hosted on.

I used Amazon AWS for a bit, they are a bit more expensive but they were able to defend off a huge ddos attack (2gb/s+ multiple ips hitting random ports, if I remember correctly) that was shutting down the previous host.

Edited by blayze

@blayze - Sounds like the attack on DesolationV2 - is that the one you are referring to?

3 hours ago, Iberis said:

Had some of that problem with Valoria but since the last couple of Wu updates those issues seemed to have stopped for us on Valoria. Though we never had it as bad as Urath to begin with.

Curious to know what bad rep does bluefang have since that's what Valoria is hosted on.

if you mean multiple "one bad rep"s then yes. 
In most cases of service like these there are some people that have good experiences and lots of others who have bad. The good are the lucky few. 
I don't want to base my choice for servers on those good few chances- that makes me very uncomfortable about where hard-earned money goes to which is why I'm trying to research every answer given and other choices that I've found. 

I am glad, however, that there are a few out there that aren't being plagued with their shenanigans. I hope you continue to have a good experience with them ouo

3 hours ago, Nappy said:

@blayze - Sounds like the attack on DesolationV2 - is that the one you are referring to?

Yeah, back then during the attack the server was transferred to AWS for a week or two before then moving elsewhere. I only helped out for a bit before I ended up not being able to play.

On 25/10/2016 at 3:17 AM, pepofaec said:

That's news to us Pepofaec, we are currently hosting many of the Wurm Unlimited servers out there and still offer the most intergrated solution of any host, we host some of the largest Wurm communties out there who stand by us because of our industry leading customer service and full-featured control panel that no other host can beat.

Edited by CitadelServers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CitadelServers said:

That's news to use Pepofaec, we are currently hosting many of the Wurm Unlimited servers out there and still offer the most intergrated solution of any host, we host some of the largest Wurm communties out there who stand by us because of our industry leading customer service and full-featured control panel that no other host can beat.

Oh which large Wurm communities do you host, that would be new to me?

Urath is still on Citadel I believe but I know Razor had been planning to leave Citadel. Not sure if he did or not or what is happening there though :(

Aside from Urath I don't know of any large servers using Citadel. I don't know of anyone using bluefang either aside from Valoria? I think most of the big servers do their own thing?

Desolation 2 (last half) was hosted on Citadel.

Desolation 3 (first month) was hosted on Citadel.

Inspiration was hosted on Citadel.

The new Desolation 4, Desolation 3 and now Inspiration moved to ova.ca on a dedicated server for the following reasons:

1) Unacceptable lag - always blamed on server configuration, same configuration/same user numbers would result in different performance - more likely caused by overloaded virtual servers

2) Corrupted database - multiple times - caused by unexpected server shutdowns - sometimes caused by unannounced move to other citadel servers - no notification before or after of the move

3) Corrupted map - happened once during another unexpected server shutdown, resulted in need to restore from backup file - luckily I had been good about doing this. Still meant people lost some of what they had built (2 days of lost work)

4) Support update by citadel actually messed up modlauncher - another time modlauncher appeared to be current version based on their tool however server was really using a much older version (based on log file on startup)

5) Support doesn't listen to customers concerns in a meaningful way. They are ways to manage a Wurm server that prevent problems. I think they use the idea of all game servers are the same, hence the server shutdowns that corrupted databases and the map

6) More control - I can do a lot more with a dedicated box then I can with the citadel service, granted the cost is higher if I was only running one WU server on the hardware

7) Bad refund policy - once you pay money to citadel you can't get it back. Your only option is a credit to be used for their services/game servers

The lag became so bad on Citadel that Inspiration lost most of it's community in it's first month (many came from Desolation 3).

Of course, unless they have been deleted, I have support tickets where the problems with lag, database and map were discussed.

In the early days of using Citadel they were actually pretty good. Unfortunately, with time, that changed in a bad way. I would have recommended them in the beginning, I will not recommend them now.

• Like 2

i use citadel and will stay with them for the next 12 months at the least, good host!

Citadel? You must mean shitadel. My server was hosted on a linux box, full control over it. Only lag was with 1 million creatures enabled

• Like 1

I personally use pingperfect.com 

I've had 3 issues in all the time I've been with them and they had me fixed in under 8 mins the first 2 issues and the last one took a hr cause they had a server issue and had to move my stuff to a new main frame. All in all they are fast friendly and cheap for me. I've been with them since WU launched and I've had no reason to want to switch to any one else. I spend 12.50 GBP a month for my 3gigs of ram cheap compared to every one else. I could get other options if I wanted but so far I've never had to up any settings and I do use the bare min with no issues. My map is 8k in size and has around 65k of animals. I experience no more lag than I did on WO so they have very good main frames and service if others are interested. Below is my server specs.

They don't over sell their service on there games least they don't with WU from what I've seen they have spots once there full that's it.

Edit: One time when WU had experimental I asked Pingperfect about it and they gladly made a tool in the tools to opt into the experimental patch's that day for me. If you need a tool just ask them I'm sure they can help you.

If you interested in a voice system for your player base I highly recommend www.gamevox.com their system is better than TS and ventrilo and 100% free they have options you can pay for but there Voip is completely free. I've had very clear VOIP and not a lot of static like I've gotten in the past from TS and Ventrilo.

Teamspeak3 Slots 0 x Number of slots £0.18GBP

Location USA - Atlanta

Server Branding No Branding

Ram 3GB £12.50GBP

Service hosted on SSD No

CPU Priority Normal Priority

Edited by Arkonick

I am still with Citadel and liking it. The integrations seem to be well maintained, which is key.

Would have preferred they have a South African datacentre, like gameservers.com, but beggars cannot be choosers, and I am too lazy these days to administer yet another machine.

Edit: rethinking my words.

Edited by Marlon