Sign in to follow this  
Nuinethir

What does Sunder do?

I have Googled and looked at the wiki, and all I have seen Sunder used for was to damage tools to re-imp them, or to damage wine or water. The wiki says what it cannot be used for, but I would rather have a better description as to it's real application and use. Thanks.

Sunder is a spell that priests of Magranon can use to cause damage to some items. It cannot be used to damage: other people's equipment, forges, ovens, towers, altars, walls, chests, most leather and cloth items, beds, signs, or statues.

Edited by Nuinethir

I guess the application here would be if you're trying to achieve a specific quality level on a tool and your repair skill is so high that it screws with the QL diminishing. Think enchanted pickaxe to get in the right zones for mining or maybe for Vyn CoC enchants where lower QL can sometimes be better but you don't want to bother with doing however many actions is required to achieve the level of damage necessary. Aside from that, don't see many practical applications to use this spell. @Nuinethir

Edited by Ayluin

wack the QL of one item down many many time and keep improving it for a rare. Old school way of raring scale/hides armors.

44 minutes ago, Ayluin said:

I guess the application here would be if you're trying to achieve a specific quality level on a tool and your repair skill is so high that it screws with the QL diminishing. Think enchanted pickaxe to get in the right zones for mining or maybe for Vyn CoC enchants where lower QL can sometimes be better but you don't want to bother with doing however many actions is required to achieve the level of damage necessary. Aside from that, don't see many practical applications to use this spell. @Nuinethir

I used to do this for knocking ql of a tool down. Each sunder was 20 ql for me back then. It meant I could be 80 ql tool for high casting enchant and then knock it down by about 20 each time to make it a grinder.

I think further back in Wurm history it may have had a real PVP application too, before my time so can't confirm.

It's also perfect for reducing the quality of bulk goods in a controlled way.

I use it to knock some QL off my skilling pickaxe if its too high. One cast deals 20 damage I think.

Other than that its quite useless. Be nice if it could be used to damage walls as a substitute for bashing instead of wrath of mag.

Anytime I've ever wanted to sunder something, it was furniture... which it doesn't work on...

from what I can tell it's almost entirely useless

It's good for weird edge cases where you want something to be lower quality and it would be otherwise hard or impossible to damage it, like water for baking grind. That's about it.

Teeth, glands, unicorn horns etc, tools, charcoal, many other items which a skill can gain from, this is by no means a useless spell. Natural Substances, First Aid, Repairing, Metallurgy, Coal-making, just to mention some of those somewhat hard to grind skills that can benefit from Sunder, sometimes in combination with other ways to bring quality down like for instance catapulting metals down, at some point that is no longer possible and sunder can take over

• Like 2

The sunder cast adds 20 damage to an item, used it on a grinding key