Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

Stop (branded) sheep/cows from running away

It has been made that cows being groomed, and I think milked, that they stop moving. That was quite a while ago, and it was quite a relief, to be honest.

I would like to propose to extend this movement restriction to the action of breeding, and to at least sheep being milked, sheared, bred, or groomed, and bison being milked, bred, or groomed.

At the very least I'd like to propose to apply this to creatures branded by a settlement, making them not run away from villagers of that settlement. Possibly extended generally to other AI behaviour like ("domesticated") deer.

None of these actions are impossible, and maybe those annoyance are what makes Wurm the game it is, but I can't help but groan "Oh my dog, I wish they would just stay still for a moment", maybe not every time... but quite a lot of the times.

• Like 1

I know people don't like 'industrial' pen arrangements but if they have nowhere to run then they cant run and it also solves the 'lol lets huddle in the corner of the massive pen' issue too.

• Like 1

So many QoLs lately.. we're going to play sims soon

+1 sigh..-_-

Actually, they dont stop moving when milking etc.That's why I posted this:

and there are 2 solutions for that 2x2/3x3 pens with several animals, nowhere for the animals to run.. and with just fence-gates it's easy to move around the smaller pens; it's a bad practice let a herd in a big fenced area anyway.. AI makes them group at some corner eventually(it's just what usually happens..), than they pack tiles and starve<_<

in a way.. there's no problem to solve here or in the other topic.. none..

15 hours ago, Finnn said:

and there are 2 solutions for that 2x2/3x3 pens with several animals, nowhere for the animals to run.. and with just fence-gates it's easy to move around the smaller pens; it's a bad practice let a herd in a big fenced area anyway.. AI makes them group at some corner eventually(it's just what usually happens..), than they pack tiles and starve<_<

in a way.. there's no problem to solve here or in the other topic.. none..

two problems to solve, one is the animals moving away while the player is interacting with them, and the second is the one you bring up, about animals bunching up because they all move in one specific direction as if they were migratory birds.  If I was a complete jerkoff and couldnt see past my nose, Id tell you something like "Just get enchanted grass so they dont starve, see, no problem."

• Like 1

Except that time when they made enchanted grass a joke.

Logging on days later to a large pen of packed dirt was hilarious.

9 hours ago, Rathgar said:

two problems to solve, one is the animals moving away while the player is interacting with them, and the second is the one you bring up, about animals bunching up because they all move in one specific direction as if they were migratory birds.  If I was a complete jerkoff and couldnt see past my nose, Id tell you something like "Just get enchanted grass so they dont starve, see, no problem."

LUL.. you've never heard of enchanted grass getting packed :lol::D:lol::lol::rolleyes:god.. well it's possible and happens:ph34r:

The other thing.. people being lazy.. smaller pans solve the no-roping and packing, and we kind of keep the devs busy fixing problems that aren't more than QoLs.

..either way.. I vote with a +1.. was just voicing what was on my mind.. that there's no real problem;)

Just let us put bridles on them, and that would prevent them from running away.

Doesn't help with breeding, but for all the things that only involve one animal, you can lead the animal first to stop it moving while you shear/milk/whatever.  It's not ideal, since it does require a couple of extra clicks or keypresses, but it works for the moment - having the necessary tools (rope etc) on your toolbelt makes it easier too.

+1 because animals run around like maniacs packing all the tiles in the pen if your house is next to them. :D

Edited by Xallo

I noticed that sheep do not run away anymore while shearing, milking, grooming, branding even(?), or breeding, but since there was nothing in the patch notes (don't sell yourselves short ;) ), let's appreciate it none the less! I'll blindly assume the change was extended to bison as well.

The bad news is, everybody who was formerly annoyed by the running away, will probably eat much less lamb leg :P

or allow saddles on all animals, they are just not "visible" like on horses. Players can "pose" the animals and get the effect o pens without the ugly visuals ... and without the slum debris of fences that long outlast a deed.  

You can have a pasture with some saddled animals that pose in certain spots and a few others that wander freely to look more natural, but with less tendency to bunch on corners. You can already do this with horses, this just extends the ability to include sheep bison & cows. 

\

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Don't want to take too much of the random "wtf"ness out of the game, because then like someone else mentioned you'd just be playing the Sims and nobody wants to do that. We want a Simulator not a Sims parody.

Devs job isn't necessarily to make the game comfortable for the player, it is to make the gameplay fun and interesting. How the player adapts is key. Hand-holding design is not design at all!

A better way to design it would be make it an object (instead of just 'making' the animals not move). Make a hitching post and you must be required to rope and hitch the animal otherwise, guess what, even if it is really well tamed, it is going to move! Imagine when you go to sleep, if you slept in one spot without moving all night, that is unnatural. Everybody rolls around, when elderly people don't move in their beds they get bed sores and the same happens to animals (check the atrocious factory farm model of the western world).

Also think about branding in real life, what was it used for? It didn't stop animals from leaving the property, it made them easier to identify when they did "get lost"!

Edited by Roushi