Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Next Large Wurm Update: Animal Breeding and Taming?

Not a Chaos suggestion unless PvP guys like this too.

I'm suggesting the next big WO update be to taming and breeding creatures.  I think the entire system should get an overhaul like how the cooking update did for cooking.

Right now breeding animals to get good traits and then using them for hunting is..........how do you say.......terrible.  It seems useless breeding anything but horses and hell horses for speed traits (or tame a bear or croc to show off for a slow mount).

It would be awesome to go tame a bear and breed it like horses to get traits like (tank, speed, agility) and then use them while hunting mobs.  Currently pretty much all animals you hunt with suck and die super fast no matter their traits.  Appears turtles are good for hunting, but not many around and I've only seen like 4 while playing WO for almost 2 years.

Let us have an animal follow us without a rope.  Right now have to unlead the animal before you can tell him to attack, then if you forget to lead the animal again, he gets stuck in the woods and have to find them.  No fun there.  Stupid animals.  Should be able to train them to accompany you and train them for hunting or other services.

This can be expanded to farming with horses and a plow to turn a big field into dirt we can plant instead of going to each tile one at a time to prepare it.  Have sheep and rams control vegetation and/or they can tend to crops (player gets skill for attending crops and animals wouldn't give you skill but keep a full yield when harvested.  Have too many rams and they can start eating your crops...something like that.).

Let us train a dog to be our best friend and follow us around without a rope would be cool.  Or give the domesticated dogs abilities just to the owner who bred the dog to make them useful around our deed or just for fun like tricks or something.  Throw a ball and play catch.  Tell them to pickup loot on the ground.  Just fun ideas on that one.  Let is domesticate house cats so they are not red after breeding them and then they get a house trait or something? :)  lol  Feed them fish.

Point being for me is I've bred bears and lions for fun and found it was a waste of time and effort later on.  Then while using animals to hunt with you it so cumbersome it's not worth it.  An animal overhaul could bring in many options.  Other MMO's with using pets and hunting is a lot of fun.  Would love to get more uses out of animals or have fun with them.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 6

i breed and tame just about everyday but nah rather see big update on either pvp or helping keep/bring in new players (which is already said to be next pretty much, tutorial, ui, etc)

• Like 2

I'd rather see them finish what they've started before they start working on a new big overhaul of something

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Worksock said:

I'd rather see them finish what they've started before they start working on a new big overhaul of something

Didn't say right away while working on cooking update, but months down the line.

To me advancing animals or PvP is what will keep me in this game.  Other than that I'm about burned out on staring at wall grinding out stuff and exploration is starting to all look the same to me.  I've even forgot what server I'm on since it's all the same.  PvP is all high skill based on grinding and RNG so it's like what's the point of fighting someone else who's spent 1000 more hours grinding since no real human skill to PvP at all.  I've spent months preparing for Chaos just for everyone to say I'm still not high enough and would get owned.  So what's the point of PvP then?

Rift fighting is so boring I have to force myself to finish it so I can get a chance for loot.  Other than that I've had Rifts make me want to quit the game from being so boring just stand there....click next dude...stand there....click next dude...stand there...click next dude.

I doubt they will do anything with fighting or Chaos since devs don't live and breath Chaos like some players do so the reason I chose animals to update next if I'm staying on freedom server.

There is no reason to try to update the game itself to bring in new players.  That part works for new players and plenty to do.  They need to keep people playing.  A lot of people I've played with a year ago are gone and I see the average player in my alliance play for a few months and that's it.  So many new names in alliance that come and go I don't keep track anymore.  Don't care about noob rotating in this game when you need some experienced people to get things done on some projects.  That's just quick money grab that will fall.  Keeping people in a game like how Blizzard does WoW is what keeps people staying with them (and making money).  I still play GW2 just for PvP since they actually keep making changes the people care bout.

I understand this is a smaller game with few developers which is fine, but chiming in on what I'd like to see next if not going to overhaul fighting.  Love the game and looking for something new to do for the long run.  Have 20+ 5 speed horses and a bunch of 5 speed hell horses and now don't know what do to next with animals.

Just IMHO...

Edited by nicedreams

This basic idea has been suggested many times in the past, that being to make animals more powerful and useful like in other games. I would really like to see this happen as well since playing Hunters were always my favorite characters. Unfortunately within Wurm there is some strange resistance to this idea, possibly because it somehow compromises the individual player fighting aspects of the game. Strictly looking at this from the PvE side I see no problem with it.

As Taming works presently there is little beneficial use to it. Even if it is improved in value by making pets useful fighters there still remains the very time consuming process of training it up in contrast to other games where within a much shorter time period you can have a valuable combat pet to assist you. I really have no hope for anything close to this situation to ever happen within Wurm. Even within WU there has been nothing done to develop combat Hunter types of pets which I think indicates the futility and lack of interest in having effective Hunter type characters within Wurm.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

While never a finished system in the first place, years ago some woohoo decided tamed animals were too stronk.

This was, iirc, because on pvp servers it caused issues.

This was followed some time later with a nerf which caused mounted creatures to be priority target.

So counter offer, play wurm correctly, sit in a shed and have everything within reach without moving so you never have to turn away from the wall.

Deviance will be nerfed.

But really, new player retention isnt one idea, it's the big picture. Pvp desperately needs help, taming is utterly useless, and you'll never match an active vet.

-i still love this game. Is why i post. Back to my cave.

Edited by Makarus
I figured autocorrect sensors would detect my profanity. manual edit woo
  • Like 1

You also have to remember that tamed animals have a massive combat nerf.  So tamed pets are not very effective as tanks.   Which is what Makarus was referring to.  

• Like 1

Aye Tamed/Dominated/Zombified/Charmed/Whatever all suffered varied nerfs overtime, especially to pvp and pve effectiveness.

Mostly in response to QQ from opposing faction players of the respective enchant, some of it actually justified imho.

So... doubt there's going to be changes that reverse all that unless well-balanced in some way. For example the current ingame chance of an animal going un-tamed in a frenzied rage once enough damage is dealt.

Animals are capable of improving their skills like players, or rather they use to be (unsure now); though, really slow and really takes caring for before its even noticeable.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2016 at 2:09 AM, Klaa said:

Aye Tamed/Dominated/Zombified/Charmed/Whatever all suffered varied nerfs overtime, especially to pvp and pve effectiveness.

Mostly in response to QQ from opposing faction players of the respective enchant, some of it actually justified imho.

So... doubt there's going to be changes that reverse all that unless well-balanced in some way. For example the current ingame chance of an animal going un-tamed in a frenzied rage once enough damage is dealt.

Animals are capable of improving their skills like players, or rather they use to be (unsure now); though, really slow and really takes caring for before its even noticeable.

I have heard of this, Klaa. In the past I would try to improve my tamed animals but never saw a difference. Maybe it takes serious work?

Maybe this is the solution, an improved levelling system for tamed creatures. Inproved levels could improve the tamer/critter bond as part of the increasing stats.

Anyways. Im at work. Hush mak.

Usually saw it on animals used as training dummies, especially back when Fighting was usage-based instead of kill-based.

Could take months before anything really became noticeable. Plus I even verified it once by asking Rolf ages ago.

2 hours ago, Klaa said:

Usually saw it on animals used as training dummies, especially back when Fighting was usage-based instead of kill-based.

Could take months before anything really became noticeable. Plus I even verified it once by asking Rolf ages ago.

just nobody dumps skills and checks who grinds what and how.. to get something really high in short time, which gives all them possibilities..:rolleyes:

As others have said, this has been suggested a fair few times and would make a great addition, though I must admit the thought of even larger breeding ranches fills me with horror.

+1 iff rift content is fixed first and magic is properly balanced.

• Like 1

Breeding, taming AND training animals in the meaning where:

- a dog can eventually wreck a spider;

- a cow can get a trait that lets her give 2x or 3x more milk;

- a pig can get a trait that lets her give 2x or 3x more fat and meat;

- etc etc.

Then it shall be +1.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2016 at 11:40 PM, Erevorn said:

Breeding, taming AND training animals in the meaning where:

- a dog can eventually wreck a spider;

- a cow can get a trait that lets her give 2x or 3x more milk;

- a pig can get a trait that lets her give 2x or 3x more fat and meat;

- etc etc.

Then it shall be +1.

Now this would be an interesting change if not an entire animal taming overhaul.  Like this a lot.

• Like 1