Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Now we're cooking!

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

its random per person, but the same meal with the same ingredients will always give the same affinity

It is a temp affinity correct? and you will not get the same affinity every time you make the same meal?

9 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

It is a temp affinity correct? and you will not get the same affinity every time you make the same meal?

it is a temporary affinity affected by ql of meal, difficulty of meal, and how much you eat, and will always be the same affinity as long as its made by the game ingredients.

54 minutes ago, Damascus said:

A lot of players will make the different food just to have there name attached also.

Some players like things like that..

newsflash: after a very short ammount of time pretty much all recipies will be discovered and you already got PLENTY of people making tremendous lists on the test servers already so they can quickly get their name brand on things upon release.

The whole naming thing is a very very brief gimmick to the system.

If it's done without afterthought they would let it be the actual item description in the inventory which will in no time be an annoyance.

Tell me this, how quickly would you get annoyed if my alt Zqmwqmleewqle would make your favorite food?

Instead of "Meal" or "Breakfast" it would be "Zqmwqmleewqle's Meal" and "Zqmwqmleewqle's Breakfast".
But meh. they arent revealing any info about the mechanic almost, so I guess I'll be pleasantly/unpleasantly supprised upon launch.

Maybe I'll make an alt named Hitler and quickly make some newbie food so everyone starting out sees "Hitler's breakfast" etc in their cockbook.... nothing could go wrong with the naming feature, right devs?

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

A character will get the same affinity from that meal every single time they eat it and it's made out of the same ingredients.

2 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

A character will get the same affinity from that meal every single time they eat it and it's made out of the same ingredients.

Needs to be made in same container and in same cooker as well.

13 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

newsflash: after a very short ammount of time pretty much all recipies will be discovered and you already got PLENTY of people making tremendous lists on the test servers already so they can quickly get their name brand on things upon release.

The whole naming thing is a very very brief gimmick to the system that will in no time be merely an annoyance.

Tell me this, how quickly would you get annoyed if my alt Zqmwqmleewqle would make your favorite food?

Instead of "Meal" or "Breakfast" it would be "Zqmwqmleewqle's Meal" and "Zqmwqmleewqle's Breakfast".

nameable meals are not on the test server, and will be secrets to explore and find.

My bad, most aren't, there is a few on the test server, but they havent been found

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

nameable meals are not on the test server, and will be secrets to explore and find.

Oh so only a select few food types are nameable?

3 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

Oh so only a select few food types are nameable?

Yes, breakfast wont become " Zqmwqmleewqle's Breakfast"

4 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Yes, breakfast wont become " Zqmwqmleewqle's Breakfast"

ah.

Guess uniques animal parts will be rolled on after the update. lol.

Is recipie names game-, cluster- or serversided?

Edited by Zekezor

20 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

Is recipie names game-, cluster- or serversided?

Server based, and you can only have one meal named after you in the game, so no border hopping to make the same thing.

this opens the opportunity for others to name meals as well. (or if one was feeling capitalistic, sell the recipe!)

There's also some pre-named meals out there (ever wondered what rolf's favourite sandwich was?)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

this opens the opportunity for others to name meals as well. (or if one was feeling capitalistic, sell the recipe!)

Hold up.

Are you telling me that others cant make it after the original person has made it unless they own a recipie specificly sold by that person?

edit: actually hold on again...

So you are telling me i can also name a recipie once in the game and for instance if it happends on desertion of the epic cluster its not gonna be listed on any other server and none of the freedom clusters?

And what happends with food that travels from one server to another? or a recipie that travels from one server to another?

Sure it's server limited recipies and max 1 recipie for the game?

Edited by Zekezor

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

There's also some pre-named meals out there (ever wondered what rolf's favourite sandwich was?)

I never wondered, but I did make one! And I'm appalled at his taste in lunches. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Server based, and you can only have one meal named after you in the game, so no border hopping to make the same thing.

I can foresee a big problem with this making it difficult for people who want to buy and sell food. If the same dish, made with the same ingredients and in the same cooker, has a different name on Xanadu than it does on Inde, Rel, Pri.... how will somebody know if they should buy Bob's pie if they have been using Joe's pie, because there will be no way of knowing the that two foods are the exact same one with different names. Also what happens if I have Bob's pie in my inventory on Xan and travel to Rel, does it then become Joe's pie since that's the name of the item there? Also, having numerous people being able to "claim" the same food totally removes the achievement status of being the person who "discovered" it. And no it doesn't even stop server hopping to make the same thing. If my main finds uber-cool new recipe, I could easily just have my alt on the other server make it. It really just adds a layer of confusion to buying, selling and using the food while at the same time devaluing the actual recognition "perk" (if any) to having discovered the namable recipe at all IMO.

11 minutes ago, Elizarya said:

I can foresee a big problem with this making it difficult for people who want to buy and sell food. If the same dish, made with the same ingredients and in the same cooker, has a different name on Xanadu than it does on Inde, Rel, Pri.... how will somebody know if they should buy Bob's pie if they have been using Joe's pie, because there will be no way of knowing the that two foods are the exact same one with different names. Also what happens if I have Bob's pie in my inventory on Xan and travel to Rel, does it then become Joe's pie since that's the name of the item there? Also, having numerous people being able to "claim" the same food totally removes the achievement status of being the person who "discovered" it. And no it doesn't even stop server hopping to make the same thing. If my main finds uber-cool new recipe, I could easily just have my alt on the other server make it. It really just adds a layer of confusion to buying, selling and using the food while at the same time devaluing the actual recognition "perk" (if any) to having discovered the namable recipe at all IMO.

I'm pretty sure the name of the food is still identifiable even without the discoverer's name tacked on, so that should hopefully not be an issue.

I'm a little confused though since, if nameable foods aren't on the test server, how do we have "cerber's triple hops" beer and "nicrolis's ginger beer" there?

2 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

I'm pretty sure the name of the food is still identifiable even without the discoverer's name tacked on, so that should hopefully not be an issue.

I'm a little confused though since, if nameable foods aren't on the test server, how do we have "cerber's triple hops" beer and "nicrolis's ginger beer" there?

"woopsie".

It has been said you can only name one dish per character anyway, so i'm not sure why people are making a big fuss over the feature.

3 hours ago, Zekezor said:

The whole naming thing is a very very brief gimmick to the system.

One of the most enjoyed features on Deso 3 was that the bred horses had player's names in them. So with time a character called Propheteer could be found riding a horse with the same name (plus a second name so like PropheteerSmile for instance).

What amazed me was that on a PVP server, where horses WILL die, some players actually tried to protect their named horse. People were trading to get horses with their char name. Was quite interesting to watch.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Budzilla said:

It has been said you can only name one dish per character anyway, so i'm not sure why people are making a big fuss over the feature.

Okay so tell me what happends in this scenario:

Recipie names are max 1 per character and its only on one server/island. (acording to retro)

Bob finds Deluxe Roast on Deliverance and thus it's known as Bob's Deluxe Roast... On deliverance.

Jimmy finds Deluxe Roast on Independance and thus it's known as Jimmy's Deluxe Roast... on independance.

Recipies can be scribed and shared on parchment.

Bob makes a copy. Bob brings this copy to independance and gives it to Jimmy.

Jimmy learns "Bob's Deluxe Roast".

What happends?

As far as i can tell it would make a dublicate of the same recipie and break the "per server" restriction to recipies.

Edited by Zekezor

Typo in "steak and ale pie"; diced diced meat,beef ---> should be: minced meat, beef

Spoiler

11f526e068.jpg

Named recipes are OP'ed and will break gameplay. The Horror. Nerf ASAP pls [/sarcasm]

Personally matters like Berris' OP-ness are more of an issue.

Kidding aside, there's only one real major game-changer here... FISH CAN BE STORED!!! oH Em gEE

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Gonna suggest/beg one last time before public testing goes down that you give us one more weekend.  Cutting off testing mid week makes little sense.
  One last weekend will give a last push for testing.  It'll only help the dev team to refine the update.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Server based

Why not game based? A lot will stay unnamed due to lack of population on most servers. (unless there're only ~50 nameable meals)

11 hours ago, Elizarya said:

Also, having numerous people being able to "claim" the same food totally removes the achievement status of being the person who "discovered" it.

Edited by zigozag

One heck of an update, can't wait to see it go live.

For those of you worried that it will bring mass confusion to your lives, worry not,   The base 50 recipes will do just fine for you, Meat+Veggie is still doable.  For those that want the variety and like this sort of thing, the update is awesome.

16 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Shouldn't be any problems with names on food if it's one meal named after you in the game, that should lock the ingredients to that meal no matter which server you go to and name should not change.

27 Oct 2016
 * Updated the messages when you learn a new recipe.
 * Expanded the volume setting for measureing jug to include 1g, 2g and 5g.
 * Changed model for pancakes, new ones will use the omlette model.
 * Updated the messages for writing recipes.

• Like 1