Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Now we're cooking!

On 26.10.2016 at 9:26 AM, monsterix said:

Burgers are made from chocolate and any raw nuts

Reveal hidden contents

burger_zps4qhdhtef.png

When use that cholocate with raw nuts i can use that to start meat pasanda even recipe doesnt even neet that for making it

Reveal hidden contents

fail_zpsyfvetpip.png

Are these fixed?

On 10/26/2016 at 4:51 AM, Retrograde said:

its random per person, but the same meal with the same ingredients will always give the same affinity

Yes its likely a seeded RNG algorithm. And, again, imo, it should be fixed affinities for recipes. But like I siad, I know that doesn't matter because you guys aren't going to do what i want and I can just make it happen in WUl.

59 minutes ago, joedobo said:

Yes its likely a seeded RNG algorithm. And, again, imo, it should be fixed affinities for recipes. But like I siad, I know that doesn't matter because you guys aren't going to do what i want and I can just make it happen in WUl.

If recipes gave the same affinities for everyone, there would be a lot of inherently valuable recipes and many which nobody would ever want to bother with. Making it randomized per person encourages individual experimentation and ensures that a variety of recipes are considered useful, since they'll all be useful to somebody.

2 hours ago, monsterix said:

Are these fixed?

The first one is still bugged, the second I haven't tried yet.  

For the second, did you start with chocolate or did you start with the result of #1?

23 hours ago, Ulviirala said:

I seem to have an issue with trellis planting, perhaps the limit is not 4, but 3 planted per tile?

There's one tile I can't get a 4th trellis to plant at all, the plant action succeeds and it says "You plant the trellis", but it's not "firmly secured" when examined.

Other times I can plant a 4th trellis, but it becomes unplanted when pushing it around. It was next to a tile border to a tile without anything planted, but it never left the tile.

When I plant a trellis on a neighbouring tile, and I try to pull it onto a tile that already has 3 trellis planted, it says "You cannot move the item here, since there is not enough space".

Now I have 3 planted on one tile, 2 on the neighbouring tile. I can plant a 3rd on the neighbouring tile. But when I now try to plant a 4th one where it has already 3, it says there are already 4, even though it looks like it's only 3.

I assume this was, or is being fixed, albeit not in any patch notes posted by Tich. I briefly hopped on just now, and I can't seem to reproduce it anymore like yesterday. I don't really have the time and energy today to continue decorating though, and plant a bunch more ;X

20 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

If recipes gave the same affinities for everyone, there would be a lot of inherently valuable recipes and many which nobody would ever want to bother with. Making it randomized per person encourages individual experimentation and ensures that a variety of recipes are considered useful, since they'll all be useful to somebody.

For me, it is perfectly fine to have recipes whose singular purpose is for role play. I disagree with you that things have to have a balanced and desirable use in order for them to be fun. It doesn't matter if every player in the game only uses say %5 of the recipes. The current system uses a seeded RNG to attempt create a perceived variety and game depth.

fyi, your not going to change my mind. And I only commented on the RNG affinities because others also expressed their dislike of them. 

Awesome system guys..... VERY well done on all the hard work you have done. ;)

The only gripe i have with it is the cook book ..... i got my head around how to use it and the layout after a bit but it may turn away some players.

It's VERY overwhelming when you first try it out.... so maybe a foot note on the first page or even a ...."So to make a pie you...ect"

Maybe it was just the way i looked at it. :P

But anyway all in all Great work.... i can't wait for it to drop into the main game.

40 minutes ago, Alectrys said:

The first one is still bugged, the second I haven't tried yet.  

For the second, did you start with chocolate or did you start with the result of #1?

In second i start that cooked chocolate coated pinenut what is first in sauce pan. That same start with pottery another food, veg Passandra, and it might start also fish version. havent test that.

On 10/25/2016 at 1:19 PM, Ostentatio said:

As has been mentioned countless times by now, if you don't want to use the new features you don't have to. If you just want the benefits of 99% nutrition and a full food bar, you can get that just as easily in the new system as you could in the old, if not more easily.

... But you'd know that if you had read the thread.

glad to see you know me so well.

this could have been implemented differently, for example, one complex meal (4 ingredients?) for each affinity, same for everyone.  then when

you are going to grind something for example, mining, you cook that meal that is assigned to mining affinity or buy it in small bulks from other players.

but instead i need to spend the rest of my life trying to figure out what meals are for what affinity for each of my toons and get extremely lucky to find them.

thats just one example of a different way it could have been implemented, other players may have even better ideas.

so yea it is kind of forcing me or i would be at a disadvantage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Griffith said:

this could have been implemented differently, for example, one complex meal (4 ingredients?) for each affinity, same for everyone.  then when

you are going to grind something for example, mining, you cook that meal that is assigned to mining affinity or buy it in small bulks from other players.

but instead i need to spend the rest of my life trying to figure out what meals are for what affinity for each of my toons and get extremely lucky to find them.

thats just one example of a different way it could have been implemented, other players may have even better ideas.

It's a system where, for effort, you can gain optional reward, or ignore it and not get that reward. People who want to use it can put in some effort and get some reward, and people who don't want to don't have to.

It's only "forcing you" if you feel like you have to engage in every possible bit of optional content in order to get every possible bit of optional reward. Nobody does this in Wurm, as there's simply way too much optional content for that to be reasonable. For example, I got some pretty hefty benefits from doing the Xanadu labyrinth and nabbing a reward chest at the end, but I sure wouldn't expect everyone to want to do that, and it would be silly of them to complain that I have some kind of unfair disadvantage by doing something they happen to not enjoy doing. On the other hand, I don't really go out of my way to get to rifts or unique slayings even though those can offer some neat goodies, because I just haven't bothered investing the time and organization into doing that... but I'm not about to complain that these things are bad just because I don't want to go to them and consequently the people who do have something I don't. The game is not forcing you to do everything that could possibly reward you, nor does any sane human have the time for that anyway.

This will be the case to a greater and greater degree as more things get introduced, and I think that's a good thing.

43 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

It's a system where, for effort, you can gain optional reward, or ignore it and not get that reward. People who want to use it can put in some effort and get some reward, and people who don't want to don't have to.

It's only "forcing you" if you feel like you have to engage in every possible bit of optional content in order to get every possible bit of optional reward. Nobody does this in Wurm, as there's simply way too much optional content for that to be reasonable. For example, I got some pretty hefty benefits from doing the Xanadu labyrinth and nabbing a reward chest at the end, but I sure wouldn't expect everyone to want to do that, and it would be silly of them to complain that I have some kind of unfair disadvantage by doing something they happen to not enjoy doing. On the other hand, I don't really go out of my way to get to rifts or unique slayings even though those can offer some neat goodies, because I just haven't bothered investing the time and organization into doing that... but I'm not about to complain that these things are bad just because I don't want to go to them and consequently the people who do have something I don't. The game is not forcing you to do everything that could possibly reward you, nor does any sane human have the time for that anyway.

This will be the case to a greater and greater degree as more things get introduced, and I think that's a good thing.

i dont see why you see the need to try to convince me or worse, argue with me. cant people have their own opinion?

i havent been to a rift and i havent complained about them because as you say its my choice. but what if you went to

a rift and the rift mobs where there for some people and not other people? what if the rift mobs where different difficulties

and different skill gains for different people? that wouldnt be fair either and then i would complain.

the new recipe system is about skill gains. if different people have easier recipes for affinities in very hard skills to gain,

then it is unbalanced. its not a matter of choice. its a matter of being even and fair on skill gains.

but if you cant see that already no amount of explaining will do, sorry. good luck,

51 minutes ago, Griffith said:

If it worked like that then 20-30 or so meals would have any real value as they'd give affinities for skills that are actually useful to grind. The other 400 or so would be nothing but pointless filler and people wouldn't really make those.

If it's random then all the foods would have a use, people can make what they enjoy making and sell that. If they really don't enjoy making a food which they do need for an affinity then they can buy it from somebody who does like to make it.

The set affinity system thus works great in a single player game, the random one is great for multiplayer as it encourages more interaction between players, even if it's just on a chat basis with people using mailboxes to get their food sent to them. All in all, the random system sounds like the more interesting one to me, with a lot more potential.

You do point out one possible issue with it, and that's how much effort it takes to find your affinities. Perhaps there needs to be an easier way for a player to know which foods give him which affinities. Maybe an in game screen of some kind with the names of all foods and which affinity they give? Players could also use this list to find out of which foods they already know the recipes of, and which they are still missing. They will be doing that through the wiki anyway if the list is not available in game, so I don't see the harm in simply displaying the list of all possible foods to them in game.

Thanks Tich amazing amount of work obviously gone into the new cooking system. Been fun watching people scurrying around the kitchens on test :)

Two things I think would be useful - a keybind for "toggle cookbook" and a way to search the cookbook for skill boost recipes by skillname, only for ones that you already discovered of course.

I might discover strawberry ice cream gives me Weaponsmithing skill boost but I wouldn't be able to remember that when I want to grind Weaponsmithing skill and I can't see that information in the cookbook.

• Like 2

Or we could have a bunch of recipes per skill with stacking affinities, so, for instance, 1 of 5 carpentry meals would provide 1 affinity to carpentry, but all 5 eaten for lunch would give you 5 affinities to carpentry. To make it realistic, these 5 should be of different kinds, i.e. beverage, salad, soup, a meal and dessert. Boom, 100 useful recipes instead of 20. And just forget the CCFP, what is this, a dietologist simulator?

Edited by zigozag

Food bar was not reacting when eating self-made ql1 'fish fillet stew with dumplings' or 'boiled eggs', than i realized they gave too little percentage to notice. Delighted to see sheer amount of new food items, for now massively overwhelmed when looking at 40 different meats alone. Resetting thirst and drinking a jar of beer raised all CCFP to 99% - that seems too easy. Very much like the 'Lore' trying to get into dialogue, Affinities and new use for kitchen items - but do we really need to store 'chopped' veggies and filets in FSB?  Wouldn't that be the place to store the whole potatoe, and the larder the place for things prepared? To get our bins a bit easier to manouver through i would keep all things filetted, chopped, roasted (fried, grilled, steamed etc.) to the larder (and to decay). After some 'doner canine kebaab' (kebab?) from these nice looking furnitures (and 10g of brandy) i feel fine to get home and warm up the copper (to dang it into stills soon).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Renate said:

Food bar was not reacting when eating self-made ql1 'fish fillet stew with dumplings' or 'boiled eggs', than i realized they gave too little percentage to notice. Delighted to see sheer amount of new food items, for now massively overwhelmed when looking at 40 different meats alone. Resetting thirst and drinking a jar of beer raised all CCFP to 99% - that seems too easy. Very much like the 'Lore' trying to get into dialogue, Affinities and new use for kitchen items - but do we really need to store 'chopped' veggies and filets in FSB?  Wouldn't that be the place to store the whole potatoe, and the larder the place for things prepared? To get our bins a bit easier to manouver through i would keep all things filetted, chopped, roasted (fried, grilled, steamed etc.) to the larder (and to decay). After some 'doner canine kebaab' (kebab?) from these nice looking furnitures (and 10g of brandy) i feel fine to get home and warm up the copper (to dang it into stills soon).

Nothing really to add to this except that I agree, especially with the idea that it's a bit odd that we can store "prepared" stuff like filets and chopped vegetables in a bin.

3 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Nothing really to add to this except that I agree, especially with the idea that it's a bit odd that we can store "prepared" stuff like filets and chopped vegetables in a bin.

Fillets are still meat, chopped vegetables are still vegetables, just ... umm chopped. how is that odd?

51 minutes ago, Kadore said:

Fillets are still meat, chopped vegetables are still vegetables, just ... umm chopped. how is that odd?

Where you draw the line is pretty arbitrary, I guess. I mean, a meal made of meat and rice is still meat and rice, just cooked.

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Where you draw the line is pretty arbitrary, I guess. I mean, a meal made of meat and rice is still meat and rice, just cooked.

I draw the line when it's combined with something else. I guess my analogy is logs, planks, scraps and shafts are all lumber that's been chopped (or not), so good for a bsb.  Combine blanks and nails into a crate, and it's crossed that line for me.

• Like 1

[03:09:34] Strong but moreish.  After the second bottle, the sak� drinks you. Also it has a quality of 47.One heck of an update, can't wait to see it go live.

Error in the text for the examine on rice wine, sake is incorrect.

Edited by Ratheden
spelling

28 Oct 2016
 * Removed ability to put butter in fsb.
 * Put picking herbs and spices under deed harvest fruit permission.
 * fix for chocolate coated nut having wrong recipe name.
 * Made it possible to unseal when liquid isnt fermenting.

• Like 3

Error with frying pan or recipe.  Chopped Cabbage + Chopped Mushroom + Cooking Oil 422g+   Error: 400g max oil allowed with cabbage and 'shroom in the frying pan.

--FIXED--

Edited by Ratheden
Fixed

Something strange, if you drag and drop oatmeal into another container it stays as oatmeal, if you use Fill with a measuring jug it changes into porridge

Any chance, at some point, we could get tree or bush types for things we can only forage/botanize? Cacao trees would be great.

• Like 1