Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Now we're cooking!

Add ability to get blood when kill example lamb/cow etc, that add more variety for cooking.

Could I ask that testing be left open until the 31st?  Having another weekend to test in would be nice and I'm sure would be beneficial to Devs to give player testers another complete weekend to test the system.  
Another weekend gives testers a chance to;
Test it, find bugs, get frustrated, swear at it a few times, try to come up with suggestions.
Now, I didn't get a chance to jump over to test today, but I see in this thread a few more "broken" lore have been found.  You really sure the rest of the broken Lore can be found in the next 3 days?
Give us another weekend to get frustrated, another weekend to narrow down bugs and things about the system that are simply not fun at all.

Don't shut down testing on the 27th.   Most people have to work, give us another weekend to break stuff.

• Like 3

Roasting dish pottery+ minced meat, fowl, corn oil, lemon it asks [09:56:23] Have you tried adding fish broth (50% of solids)?

and when add it [09:56:45] The items inside do not make any known recipe.

second

Cauldron + maple syrup+honey+water ask [10:33:41] Have you tried adding chopped any herb?

i add chopped basil = [10:34:07] The items inside do not make any known recipe.

third,

saucepan+ chopped basil needs [11:10:17] Have you tried adding raw meatballs? but meatball works(not raw one)

Edited by monsterix
add new not working recipe

[12:42:09] You create an unfermented white wine.

but it doesnt work, 0.81kg grape juice+ 0.89 maple syrup and result is 1.7kg maple syrup, 

it works when there is equal amount of syrup and grape juice

and please add more wine barrel or empty existing one and add paper to make recipes

Edited by monsterix

Any chance we can fry up some pig fat and get Bacon!!

Really looking forward to this update.

20 hours ago, Tich said:

* Fix so you cant attempt to add a recipe to cookbook when its not in inventory

Ah So you seen the recipe sharing container in the corner.......

25 Oct 2016
 * Added message when you learn a new recipe.
 * Fix for zombiefied spirits.
 * Fix for LORE message when too many of an item.
 * Made the number of slices you get from bread and cake depend on the weight of the item.
 * Fix to remove fillet option when food knife is acive for meats and fish.
 * Fix so LORE tells you the required material (if its specified in recipe).
 * Fix so you cant attempt to add a recipe to cookbook when its not in inventory (part 2).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alyeska said:

Meat lost it's properties in the food bin overnight; all except crab meat.

I dont get that, but it may have been fixed with other things. (it was like that at one point)

21 minutes ago, Tich said:

25 Oct 2016
 * Fix for zombiefied spirits.

Hmm? Wasn't aware rebirth works in some manner on the alcohol drinks? Assuming that's the usage of spirits meant from previous usage.

Recal zombie milk being a thing... heh almost as fun as the NPC breeding bug.

Oh and when are the fermenting barrels finished, or can one open them early somehow?

Edited by Klaa

1 hour ago, Becket said:

Any chance we can fry up some pig fat and get Bacon!!

Really looking forward to this update.

This is already possible, but the recipe is different.  

Heh, got a tipsy and drunk message now when you drink alcohol. :D

Edited by Talohan
word wrong

Pottery bowl + Rice, chopped onion,chopped cucumber, corn oil, chopped fish, when lore [17:02:51] Have you tried adding a ground any spice?

When add 1 ground tumeric [17:03:46] The items inside do not make any known recipe. and when add 2 ground tumeric [17:04:09] Have you tried removing a ground any spice?

So that recipe doesnt work(if i do it somehow wrong let me know)

• Like 1

Creating shaft and plank on the cooking test server yields no woodscrap in my inventory, only the plank or shaft. The weight of the log is still decreased as if a woodscrap were created.

Now I have hard times to make wood pulp :P

EDIT: these were logs spawned with the Test menu. Found logs on the ground those produce woodscrap.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Creating shaft and plank on the cooking test server yields no woodscrap in my inventory, only the plank or shaft. The weight of the log is still decreased as if a woodscrap were created.

EDIT: these were logs spawned with the Test menu. Found logs on the ground those produce woodscrap.

Can confirm the same thing, creating shafts & planks did not generate scrap.

1 hour ago, Jaz said:

Its because the spawned ones don't have a wood material, and for some reason that means it generates no wood scraps

• Like 1

On 2016-10-22 at 11:53 PM, Zekezor said:

On 2016-10-22 at 1:11 PM, Retrograde said:

• Some recipes are nameable this means that whoever is the first to make the item for that recipe, will have their name added to the front of that recipe name, e.g. if Pifa was first to make a meat curry (assuming that was nameable) then it would show to everyone, when they discover it,  as “Pifa’s meat curry”.

Does this apply to the game, cluster or server?

???

I tried to refrain from posting this, but we had a talk about development today in our teamspeak and i was in the mood to rant.

In the nicest way possible, the cooking update is fairly half-assed, like a lot of the existing PvP mechanics. Please take what i write below as criticism and not personally. There are a lot of possibilities to make something really cool, and take the depth you have already created and take it to the next level, as opposed to giving people the impression of an unfinished product once more.

First off, and probably the largest issue are the time-based affinities that you get for eating specific meals. This is account dependant, so little Timothy might get a Body Strength affinity for eating a Breakfast (which would be a single meat in a bowl), whereas Bernard might get his from a Crab Bisque, which is one of the more demanding meals in the game that requires many materials, some of them farmable, and four heating stages. Not only does this imbalance it and create RNG in account creation for those joining who hope to catch up with the existing big shots, it also kills the potential for something really cool and unique, a new entry into the market of wurm. Cooking. Imagine if these time-based rewards were meal-specific? So both little Timothy and Bernard could get Body Strength from Crab Bisque, as opposed to one having to go through a few hour long process to make his, and the other a five minute process. People would pay for the meals that give these affinities, and some people would pay for pre-made materials to make them.

There is also no purpose to make any of the advanced recipes under any circumstance. (Obviously, if some people get ###### and end up having to create one for a half-decent time-based affinity they would have to, but for reasons explained above this is shitty.) Using the examples listed above, Breakfast and Crab Bisque. Breakfast is pretty simple. It’s just a meat in a bowl. It gives you everything you need. Crab Bisque is pretty advanced, if you click here you can see the recipe. Now, when you compare the two, why would i EVER create this recipe? You know, excluding if my account gets reamed by being unlucky with affinities. Well, heres your answer: There isn’t one. You will get everything from the breakfast as you would from the crab bisque. You would simply be wasting your own time, which seems to really devalue the whole reason for the cooking update in the first place. Why add all these new recipes if they don’t do anything?

Keeping in mind the advanced recipes, even the recipes you would think a new player would go for, like one of the soups, are awful. Liquids do absolutely nothing except kill the nutritional value of the meal. You have no more reason to ever make anything with a liquid in it than you do now, the reasons being to waste your own time, or make food to feed your pet you set aside for taming grinding, Magnus the Cave-Bug. Without even considering nutrition, some of the recipes are outright annoying to handle. I don’t know if this was an oversight or if it was made intentionally, but we will use orridge as an example. You can put one portion of rice and one portion of water to make porridge. You cannot put 20 portions of rice and 20 portions of water to make porridge. This missing QOL mechanic also flares up in non-liquid foods too, such as when making bread. To make bread you need enough dough for a piece of bread and a stoneware. You however, cannot make 10 bread without doing 10 pieces of dough and 10 pieces of stoneware. Why? Why is this a thing?

Moving on to another missed opportunity, i’m not sure if developers were willing to accommodate balance changes necessary to properly do something like this, but you completely ignored all the endgame unique items you couldve thrown in to make unique, fantasy meals that give nice bonuses. You could have tied it into the affinity system, such as making a white dragon steak give one of those temporary Body Strength affinities. people would go out of their way to try and get this stuff which would increase the value of items that are currently deemed worthless (which is HUGE, considering most of the things and materials you come across in the game are pointless.) It’s something that was skipped over but could have been pretty revolutionary, i suppose this part was more of a suggestion than anything else, but it couldve been the start of really fleshing out the clutter that currently persists in the game world.

Last but not least, the UI could do some work. I mean for the affinity thing, you could add a search feature to show which meals give what affinity so people know instead of having to rely on third party programs to do it for them (or if it was standardized, the forums or wiki, or ingame chat.). The fats value, as i just dislike clutter, doesn’t need to be there at all if you are a non-priest. It has no benefit for you in any way, shape, or form.

Also, with the cookbook you are adding too many unknowns. A lot of the recipes here have a lot of ingredients, some with very minor variations. I’m not asking for you to list the name of the recipes, or the ingredients, or even the number of ingredients. But it would be excellent to have a number next to each category showing how much you have learned and how much you need to go. Like Brews [20/50], indicating to the player that they are missing 30 recipes. You could even take a step further and tie in to the achievement and personal goal systems in some way.

Thats it. Also, I have crippling depression.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Tich said:

I dont get that, but it may have been fixed with other things. (it was like that at one point)

Just butchered a lamb, and it doesn't show any meat type at all on the new meat. just " meat" .

5 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

Just butchered a lamb, and it doesn't show any meat type at all on the new meat. just " meat" .

I also did just now and got meat, lamb.

I also see fsbs full of uniquely grouped meats.  Be sure you are on the cooking server and try again?

3 minutes ago, Alectrys said:

I also did just now and got meat, lamb.

I also see fsbs full of uniquely grouped meats.  Be sure you are on the cooking server and try again?

I am on cooking, and the experimental packs are on. Ill verify them and take another look.

13 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

INSERT Proph beating out wurm team

Basically everything that was said here. Also, how did you spend over a year on this cooking update? Its going to imbalance the game and generally wasnt all that well done imo. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

I tried to refrain from posting this, but we had a talk about development today in our teamspeak and i was in the mood to rant.

In the nicest way possible, the cooking update is fairly half-assed, like a lot of the existing PvP mechanics. Please take what i write below as criticism and not personally. There are a lot of possibilities to make something really cool, and take the depth you have already created and take it to the next level, as opposed to giving people the impression of an unfinished product once more.

First off, and probably the largest issue are the time-based affinities that you get for eating specific meals. This is account dependant, so little Timothy might get a Body Strength affinity for eating a Breakfast (which would be a single meat in a bowl), whereas Bernard might get his from a Crab Bisque, which is one of the more demanding meals in the game that requires many materials, some of them farmable, and four heating stages. Not only does this imbalance it and create RNG in account creation for those joining who hope to catch up with the existing big shots, it also kills the potential for something really cool and unique, a new entry into the market of wurm. Cooking. Imagine if these time-based rewards were meal-specific? So both little Timothy and Bernard could get Body Strength from Crab Bisque, as opposed to one having to go through a few hour long process to make his, and the other a five minute process. People would pay for the meals that give these affinities, and some people would pay for pre-made materials to make them.

There is also no purpose to make any of the advanced recipes under any circumstance. (Obviously, if some people get ###### and end up having to create one for a half-decent time-based affinity they would have to, but for reasons explained above this is shitty.) Using the examples listed above, Breakfast and Crab Bisque. Breakfast is pretty simple. It’s just a meat in a bowl. It gives you everything you need. Crab Bisque is pretty advanced, if you click here you can see the recipe. Now, when you compare the two, why would i EVER create this recipe? You know, excluding if my account gets reamed by being unlucky with affinities. Well, heres your answer: There isn’t one. You will get everything from the breakfast as you would from the crab bisque. You would simply be wasting your own time, which seems to really devalue the whole reason for the cooking update in the first place. Why add all these new recipes if they don’t do anything?

Keeping in mind the advanced recipes, even the recipes you would think a new player would go for, like one of the soups, are awful. Liquids do absolutely nothing except kill the nutritional value of the meal. You have no more reason to ever make anything with a liquid in it than you do now, the reasons being to waste your own time, or make food to feed your pet you set aside for taming grinding, Magnus the Cave-Bug. Without even considering nutrition, some of the recipes are outright annoying to handle. I don’t know if this was an oversight or if it was made intentionally, but we will use orridge as an example. You can put one portion of rice and one portion of water to make porridge. You cannot put 20 portions of rice and 20 portions of water to make porridge. This missing QOL mechanic also flares up in non-liquid foods too, such as when making bread. To make bread you need enough dough for a piece of bread and a stoneware. You however, cannot make 10 bread without doing 10 pieces of dough and 10 pieces of stoneware. Why? Why is this a thing?

Moving on to another missed opportunity, i’m not sure if developers were willing to accommodate balance changes necessary to properly do something like this, but you completely ignored all the endgame unique items you couldve thrown in to make unique, fantasy meals that give nice bonuses. You could have tied it into the affinity system, such as making a white dragon steak give one of those temporary Body Strength affinities. people would go out of their way to try and get this stuff which would increase the value of items that are currently deemed worthless (which is HUGE, considering most of the things and materials you come across in the game are pointless.) It’s something that was skipped over but could have been pretty revolutionary, i suppose this part was more of a suggestion than anything else, but it couldve been the start of really fleshing out the clutter that currently persists in the game world.

Last but not least, the UI could do some work. I mean for the affinity thing, you could add a search feature to show which meals give what affinity so people know instead of having to rely on third party programs to do it for them (or if it was standardized, the forums or wiki, or ingame chat.). The fats value, as i just dislike clutter, doesn’t need to be there at all if you are a non-priest. It has no benefit for you in any way, shape, or form.

Also, with the cookbook you are adding too many unknowns. A lot of the recipes here have a lot of ingredients, some with very minor variations. I’m not asking for you to list the name of the recipes, or the ingredients, or even the number of ingredients. But it would be excellent to have a number next to each category showing how much you have learned and how much you need to go. Like Brews [20/50], indicating to the player that they are missing 30 recipes. You could even take a step further and tie in to the achievement and personal goal systems in some way.

Thats it. Also, I have crippling depression.

I'm enjoying the cooking update but have to say that, while Propheteer's tone is a bit... harsh, most of these complaints are very reasonable:

• Cookbook interface is clunky
  • Random affinities could end up being very unfair to some players over others, and need to be tracked using third-party software, which is non-ideal. Also possibly leads to start-scumming of new accounts (e.g. if you want to start a priest, keep starting new f2p characters until you get one who gets Channeling affinity from something easy to make).
  • Some recipes are a bit counterintuitive. At least a few people, including myself, couldn't figure out how to make meatballs because the recipes that made sense to us didn't work. We tried breadcrumbs, we tried eggs, and then we find out you don't even need those, but do need oil (reasonable-ish) and some really specific spice (which should probably be optional to begin with), and in a frying pan for some reason (we mostly tried mixing into raw meatballs in a bowl or on a plate).
  • No gameplay incentive to ever bother making complex meals unless you get unlucky with affinities. Maybe they should be more efficient in terms of CCFP (which, as I said earlier, needs another look since some foods' CCFP values make no sense), or in terms of food, or nutrition, or something. Or maybe limit certain affinities to more complex food. Or something. I get that there are RP/fun reasons to make stuff like bisque and cheesecake, but this is still a game, and without mechanical incentives to make complex dishes it just feels a little hollow and pointless. Maybe assign recipes/dishes a "complexity" value that does one of the things I mentioned above?
  • Like Propheteer mentioned, some recipes really ought to allow for making more at one time via multiplication of ingredients.

I think there's a ton of potential here, and I hope stuff like this gets ironed out! I understand that this is a work in progress and I do hope some of these issues can be addressed shortly.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

In general I like the affinity boost from meals. My issue is that being random too - you should go and try the 50 easiest recipes hoping those will cover all your valued skills (as the link is set at first use of the specific meal randomly if I understand correctly).

I agree that special ingredients (like dragon meat above) should be tied to the most valued skills and characteristics.

At first using the cookbook is quite cumbersome but now my main issue is the "outdated window" issue if any other window was opened while the book is open - and missing the possibiliity to list all recipes I know (I can only list the categories like heated etc.).