Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Now we're cooking!

3 hours ago, Sirene said:

It is and was so much fun and a great community feeling ;) 

Yes, this is really fun! Initially, I was going to wait until it went live, but I'm glad that I stopped by to play. 

I made two batches of tomato ketchup (same proportions) but no matter what I do, I can't get them to combine.  Should I be able to do that?

A few questions:

How does the sushi table work?

Also how is everyone managing cooking? So far I've been putting some pottery bowl in a "pile of stuff", then I have a my buckets of stuff (oil, water, etc) in my inventory and moving stuff around like that so I have two or three windows open and it works better for me. Is there a better way to do this?

Edited by realedazed

1 hour ago, realedazed said:

A few questions:

How does the sushi table work?

Also how is everyone managing cooking? So far I've been putting some pottery bowl in a "pile of stuff", then I have a my buckets of stuff (oil, water, etc) in my inventory and moving stuff around like that so I have two or three windows open and it works better for me. Is there a better way to do this?

There is no 'sushi table'.  Someone just made a table on test and renamed it as 'sushi table'.

While you are on the testing cooking server, just type /changelog for information on a lot of the cooking changes.  If you right click body or inventory, you will see your cookbook in the list.  You will know 50 recipies and you can start by cooking them.  Or you can experiment and learn one of the 500+ recipes on your own.  As you discover them, they will be added to your personal cookbook.

When you are putting things into a cooking 'container', right click on the container and it will tell you if it will make something, or give you suggestions on other things to add.  Different items will require different containers - sauce pan, frying pan, pottery bowl, roasting pan, etc.

The forges should have cooking containers in them and the coffins should have the tools  you need to prepare your items.

• Like 1

Thanks for the the info. I figured most of that stuff out already since I was cooking until the wee hours of the night, lol.  I was just wondering how people were managing their screens. I Just work better with a ton of windows to transfer things across easily. I have the forge, my inventory and piles of stuff.  I just found out that could use "open" for some reason my sleepy mind completely missed that. 

9 hours ago, joedobo said:

Request: give us a way to hide the CCFP bars for the overall skill bar.

9 hours ago, joedobo said:

I have no idea how fast the food bar goes down. If it does go down faster this reaffirms my fear that the current casual cooking system is being nerfed.

Definitely on this request to remove CCFP from the skill bar if desired. Also an option to remove Favor from it. Never had any Favor and never will. I imagine that some players will rarely use this advanced cooking system. I can see that a fantastic amount of work was devoted to it, amazing really, but please don't force certain aspects of it on players who have no interest.

Here is another thing that concerns me:

"The basic unitary requirements for a player per Wurm day are:

2000 calories

300 carbs

80 fats

50 proteins"

I see the word "requirements" used here. Does this mean that players *must* meet these CCFP standards per day? If they don't then there are some penalties that will be imposed upon them that were not prior to when this "improved" Cooking system is patched into the game? If the new Cooking system gives additional perks that were not available before that is fine since it will be optional to use but if you don't use it and are penalized when not previously then I find that to be a problematic nerf.

A few other disconcerting aspects that effect current gameplay I noted as well but not worth mentioning at this time. I am not testing this out so will have to wait until its patched into the game to comment further. Again I will state a very impressive addition to the game in its complexity and depth, just not everyone's cup of camellia tea.

=Ayes=

• Like 4

Umm... 500 recipes in cooking.. are there currently even 500 recipes total in game from all crafts combined. You could fork out new cooking and name it cooking simulation online. But I think it is too complex, for a game, where you can become a master blacksmith by just imping needles...

• Like 2

Seems my post disappeared. Forum mishap or is it not allowed to ask for help with managing to surviving the cooking meta-game without added annoyance to the game?

If it was the former I'd like to ask again: Is there any meat + vegetable recipe within the new system that will give me the same nutritional benefits as today? Because I'm not interested in CookOnline, and I didn't take our priest to 90hfc so that I should be forced to sit and cook all day just so that we can skill other things.

• Like 3

Got a bowl with milk, egg and ground nutmeg in it.  Lored it and got:

[22:23:09] Have you tried adding whisky <null> (100% of solids)?

Suggestions, put some of the more basic stuff into the cookbook right away.   Bred crumbs is something you should be able to look up.   Here I was trying everthing with toast, only to learn I needed to use sliced bread with a mortar.    That really didn't make any sense.  Toast with mortar did.
Also, have Lore tell you what is going to be made.   Tried to make sausage, put minced meat into the sausage skin, followed the lore, ended up with Kielbasa or something like that.   I needed normal sausage.
Also, for the purpose of making minced meat, allow cooked meat to be used as well.
Also, 2 different knives for cooking.  That is just simply a confusing pain in the ass having to test everything you think might need a knife with each the butcher knife and the regular knife.   Just make it all butcher knife.
Juicing, add that back to crafting window.  It was really handy having it there.
The CCFP is annoying.  Not really interested in playing "Balanced diet Online".  I don't know who's "brilliant" idea it was, but it's not brilliant.  It adds a chore to the game.   I can only imagine how a sane newbie will react to the CCFP.  Probably not well.   Remember, the point of any content update should be to make things more fun, not more burdensome.  I can't think of a single sane person who wants to watch the daily calorie intake of their virtual character. 

Good stuff:
Woodscrap paper.  That's handy.
Better storage options.
Bees, domestic hives even just as decorations if you aren't interested in jumping down the cooking rabbit hole.
More alcohol
BACON
Temporary Affinities
Harvestable trellis

It would be nice if Fats is toggleable for non-priests... since its useless for them.

A complex cooking system but do we die if we don't eat? Do we get cold in the rain and snow? Do we thirst more in the sun? I feel like liitle things could be added to make this more important/the things we make more important. Fireplaces tents campfires roofs cooking

• Like 1

This may be a somewhat minor detail but please just use the standard X button in the upper right corner instead of disabling it and adding a separate button for close. This standard is important because with the standard, a normal user would move their mouse to that location without even looking because they are able figure out the location of the button based off of the window size. When there is no standard or it is loosely enforced, it can create aggravation and annoyances for the average user because they are forced to look for something when they shouldn't need to.

fa81f1d7d0.jpg

Edited by blayze
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

It would be nice if Fats is toggleable for non-priests... since its useless for them.

So within all of this.  Some is useless for non priests and I'll guess more or less a requirement for priests if they want to be worth a ######?

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Got a bowl with milk, egg and ground nutmeg in it.  Lored it and got:

[22:23:09] Have you tried adding whisky <null> (100% of solids)?

What no eggnog?

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something else. I made 4 or so batches of beer, all different portions of ingredients and the average ql of the liquid was around 70ql (90 skill in everything). I sealed them in the 88ql barrels and it said they had a ql 55-75. Around a day or two later I came back and every single beer/vinegar in the 30 or so barrels was was 20.00ql, even the ones I unsealed.

[14:58:54] An alcoholic beverage created by brewing a mixture of barley, hops and water. It can not be improved. This has a very low nutrition value. Made by Blayze on day of the Ant, week 1 of the starfall of the Digging, 980. Also it has a quality of 75.

[18:29:05] An alcoholic beverage created by brewing a mixture of barley, hops and water. It can not be improved. This has a very low nutrition value. Made by Blayze on Luck day, week 1 of the starfall of the Digging, 980. Also it has a quality of 55.

Edited by blayze

27 minutes ago, Pashka said:

So within all of this.  Some is useless for non priests and I'll guess more or less a requirement for priests if they want to be worth a ######?

It's bonuses to the current system, not a requirement.

and if your a priest its a no-brainer to meet the "demands".

Just find some food that give fats and eat that.

example of a simple food that give fats:

Spoiler

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

I don't know if the list of affinities to food is seeded according to my ID, or created as I eat, but both of those have problems:

If it's according to my ID, I'm yet to find food that doesn't give me an affinity - which means if you add an extra skill to the game, it's gonna mess with the list.

If the list is populated as I eat things, maybe reconsider simple things like "chopped tomato" giving affinities.

To those throwing around doom and gloom, Zeke has a point that breakfast will allow you to skip most of the cooking update. As for the affinities; well, if you want to have your cake and eat it, you need to bake a cake.

Even if they do nerf breakfast, I'm sure people will find a few staple meals and things will quickly go back to normal for everyone who doesn't want to revel in such a system.

Edited by Stanlee

Just short note from me. Thank you Devs for your hard work and all those who been on test server for last 2 days !

It is just amazing experience and lots of fun ! So many recipes, so many new items and so much experimenting :D

I really got excited that I found myself useful today by trying to create  some sort of "recipes sharing station" in one of the kitchen corners. Glad our "iron chefs" found this idea helpful. This way we can share what we got and start experimenting with something more unique and complex. And there is a lot to learn and experiment with! Talohan for example discovered that we will be able to make beer steins yay , its primitive looking and can't be dyed but its better than nothing :P

There also a lot of suggestions etc but those I will share in feedback later.

Can't wait till this all will be on live servers !

Another suggestion.
Add Cookbook to the task bar.

Also, sorry to other testers, I kinda screwed up and when I copied recipes from the amphora they got deleted from the amphora.   Added back a few and will work towards adding back more tomorrow.  

Bug maybe? Tar dug from a tar tile cannot be combined anymore.

[10:34:09] The items could not be combined.

^ Using the COMBINE keybind, context menu option does not show up.

Edited by Ulviirala

is the Still made with copper or brass? Anyone have a vid of the Beehives? My wife is a real life bee keeper and wants to see one lol.

EDIT: Just used the still provided by GMs, so not sure what parts needed to craft. But the item said copper. Also I sadly do not have a vid or gif; though, the beehive model had a very creepy-funny wiggle to it. Make sure you have the experimental graphics pack checked off in your client's graphics settings.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:19 AM, Gaeron said:

Ice?

On that note, I confess I was the one pitching snowballs from the larder at you. So that's why the larder's icebox was empty. :ph34r:

Tich,

Cannot express how much I enjoy the cooking overhaul. Just to judge without even taking a peek under the hood, you spent a lot of time and thought working on this.

Thank you.

Not that my thanks should seem to lessen my appreciation for others' work, no matter how large or small. It all adds up into one whole experience.

Edited by Klaa

Is the cookbook UI design final? It's pretty clunky in the current state, I can't see many people using it instead of just checking the wiki (once the recipes have been added). Some comments:

• With so many recipes, it needs sortable tables. Preferably sortable by nutrition, affinities, ingredients, and CCFP value
  • Too wordy. The amount of explanatory text makes it look confusing; a good UI shouldn't need an explanation next to every option
  • It should be all in one window instead of having to click through several
  • Needs an ability to bookmark certain recipes so you can find them easier
  • Like 6