Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Now we're cooking!

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

This bonus will give a timed affinity to a skill, but can be different per player, e.g. fish and chips may give a temp weaponsmithing affinity to Joe, but to Tom it gives carpentry, (also may not give it to any skill).

Best ATITD-type thing ever! 

• Like 1

Possible issue.

I found an inscribed recipe for "undistilled moonshine" on the ground. It was written by Klaa. He was standing within 3 tiles of the recipe.

I was able to read the recipe and I was given the option of "Add to cookbook", but received the message "Cannot find the recipe on you!"

when trying to add it. I was not able to pick it up in order to add it.

Trystant

Possible Issue:

A player threw a snowball at me and I saw this combat message: [11:14:12] You deftly catch the snowball.

The snowball ended up in my inventory but I was unable to drop it or drag it. When I right clicked it, I kept

getting the "refreshing" wave on the snowball.

Trystant

I think it's going to be problematic that we can't eat food when we're full. All my nutritional stats (carb etc) are at 0% but food is at 97%. I have to wait a long time just to find out what stats different foods give.

[16:51:31] You are so full, you cannot possibly eat anything else.

• Like 3

When you get an affinity for say, digging, and you start digging, the spell effect for the digging affinity will remain only the timer will begin going down negatively..

EG: digging affinity has a 10s timer, digging action is done while affinity is active, digging affinity timer is now decreasing from -1, and does not get removed until you eat a food that gives you a digging affinity.

Also, @Wraithglow, did you try /resetfood ?

Edited by Jibberish

Is the bee hive message really needed? I went on to the test server for a few minutes and it would constantly pop up and clutter the event log while I was running around

for the record this is the cooking aspect of the 1.3 update, not the rest.

The rest will come later

Description error on Lutefisk skål!

[17:37:14] A dried treated with lye. It is hot. It can not be improved. This has a good nutrition value. Made by Stanlee on day of Sleep, week 4 of the starfall of the Saw, 980.

(Emphasis mine)

Further testing found it's an issue with Lutefisk, not any food describing chopped fish. Marlin was used for the Lutefisk.

Edited by Stanlee

[11:59:06] A simple omlette. It can not be improved. This has a medium nutrition value.

[11:59:29] A hearty omlette with cheese, mushroom, and tomato. It can not be improved. This has a medium nutrition value.

Spelling error for 'plain omelette', it's the same for 'omelette'.

I have one major concern with the new cooking system....

It's too arbitary in terms of whats usefull and what isnt.

Example1 (without spoilers):

Processed Animal component, Processed component, Processed component, 4part mixed component, 3time processed component, processed component. with 3 heating processes involved and 5 tools.

Very low nutrition value. Crap in the 4 new nutritional components.

in other words useless food with high complexity to make.

After that i figured id find the most usefull simple food instead.

thus, behold:

Example2 (spoiler!):

Spoiler

Like there seems to be absolutely no balance between complexity and gains... =/

This is especially true for special recipies which use seasonal components or very complex crafting patterns involving a ton of diffrent tools, containers and harvesting skills/methods.

Shouldn't the complex stuff be incredibly superior than simple stuff?

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 6

While I did click on your video.  You moved so much it made it hard to follow what was going on.

59 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

I have one major concern with the new cooking system....

It's too arbitary in terms of whats usefull and what isnt.

Example1 (without spoilers):

Processed Animal component, Processed component, Processed component, 4part mixed component, 3time processed component, processed component. with 3 heating processes involved and 5 tools.

Very low nutrition value. Crap in the 4 new nutritional components.

in other words useless food with high complexity to make.

After that i figured id find the most usefull simple food instead.

thus, behold:

Example2 (spoiler!):

Hide contents

Like there seems to be absolutely no balance between complexity and gains... =/

This is especially true for special recipies which use seasonal components or very complex crafting patterns involving a ton of diffrent tools, containers and harvesting skills/methods.

Shouldn't the complex stuff be incredibly superior than simple stuff?

"Extreme cooking with Zeke" - never thought i would see the day - grin

• Like 1

Dunno what you are on about Zeke, this is clearly the superior breakfast food 

VGsUmKe.png?1

• Like 4

As a number of people have asked, here's a (very brief) quick-start guide for trying cooking:

Most recipes are heat-based, so pick an ingredient (a vegetable, say), put it in a cooking container (e.g. a frying pan), then right click on the pan and select lore.  This will give hints about what else you could add to the container to make a recipe - you can add something, then click lore again to get another hint.  Lore will also tell you if the particular combination you have is a complete recipe (‘You think this may well work when cooked.’) or if the combination isn’t a valid recipe at all (‘The items inside do not make any known recipe.’).

For most alcoholic beverages, you need to make an intermediate liquid (generally using a heat-based recipe in a cauldron), which is then fermented or distilled.  The intermediate will usually show as ‘undistilled’ or ‘fermenting’, as appropriate.  Fermenting intermediates should be placed in a wine barrel, which is then sealed with a wood scrap (activate the wood scrap, right click on the wine barrel) - after some time, the fermenting intermediate will turn into the final drink (should be approx 1 RL day on test).  Undistilled intermediates should be placed in the boiler of a lit still; they will gradually be converted to the final drink in the condenser part of the still over time.

Note that recipes are specific to a particular container, so a particular combination of ingredients may make something different in another container.  As a general rule, very few recipes work in a forge, so it is suggested to use an oven for experimentation.

As you successfully make different foods, the recipes will be added to your cookbook.  This can be found by right clicking on the inventory header or the figure at the bottom left of your character page (i.e. the same place as meditation abilities are activated from).

To accurately measure liquids, use a measuring jug - this is a pottery container that can have its volume set by right clicking on it when it is empty.

Some basic ingredients require preparing before use, for example, flour can be made from grain (with a millstone), herbs can be chopped (with a knife), and milk can be turned into cream (using a spoon).  The crafting interface can be used to look up tool creation requirements. Note that chopped veg and a non-chopped veg are not the same thing, so a recipe that calls for one may not work with the other. In addition, many of the meat recipes need meat (or fish) fillets rather then whole chunks.

There are a lot of tools and containers, and many combinations, so the best thing is to just try things.

• Like 3

Another thing ive noticed is that topping off lots of diffrent nutrition types in the new CCFP system is relatively easy.

[13:59:59] You answered an old question. It has timed out over 15 minutes or been replaced by a more recent.

Can the timer be removed on keeping the cookbook open.  Like the craft recipes window, have a recipe open then be able to grab stuff and look wihtout it timing out.

• Like 2

It is extremely frustrating trying things out, following the suggestions have you tried adding `x` and then `y` and eventually getting the message that "The items inside do not make any known recipe."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:
  • Some recipes are nameable this means that whoever is the first to make the item for that recipe, will have their name added to the front of that recipe name, e.g. if Pifa was first to make a meat curry (assuming that was nameable) then it would show to everyone, when they discover it,  as “Pifa’s meat curry”.

• Note only one recipe can be named per person.

Inb4 Diarrhearumblefart's Chili.

Edited by Ulviirala

Nice to see the salt vein in place, about 2 weeks ago we was having a discussion about that in GL Freedom and was brain storming ideas for how to get a lot of salt and that was one of the simple things we came up with. Question is does it look like marble (off white) or lead grey?

30 minutes ago, Wulfmaer said:

It is extremely frustrating trying things out, following the suggestions have you tried adding `x` and then `y` and eventually getting the message that "The items inside do not make any known recipe."

If you've followed the instructions and can reproduce the chain that lead to an invalid combination, that is a bug - please report it here.

Very minor spacing issues (two spaces were the red underline is):

[12:54:00] You think this may well work  when cooked in a cooker.

[13:20:58] You can't reach the potato  through the wall.

Edited by blayze

Filling a measuring jug with whipped cream gives whipped whipped cream

The description of Stoneware is "A flat stone surface used to make dough or buscuits on. It could be improved with a rock shards."

I popped on, saw this:

lDR6MYT.png

and right-clicked a couple things... then left... I think it's too complicated...

• Like 3

1° We should have some sort of pop-up telling us when we have learned a recipe
2° Whiskey doesn't have a liquid icon like the other boozes have.

3° gin gin, is that name a bug?

Edited by Bittereinder
  • Like 2