Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #42 Ready Steady Cook!

Recommended Posts

header.png

The cooking arena awaits!

 

Hi everyone!

Today marks the one year anniversary since the launch of Wurm Unlimited, and what a year it's been! Wurm Unlimited has brought many things to the game, giving players even greater control over their experience, and we've seen some pretty awesome things from it. It's also given us the opportunity to Identify where we need to improve, and we're making that a major focus in our future plans, both in PvE and PvP. We're keen to see where the next year takes Wurm Unlimited, and what people do with their servers.

 

Wurmpedia changes
Some might have seen a few small pages removed as we focus on making sure the information in there is as accurate and complete. This affects mostly outdated guides and roleplaying style pages. We're looking at our options to allow players to update roleplaying style pages (with their own stories about events and items) in the future, but for now please be sure to use player and settlement namespaces or the creative commons on the forum for them.

 

Unstable client
We've had some excellent reports about issues on the unstable client and we continue to need them! Please do load up the unstable client and play for a little bit, we're on the lookout for major performance issues and crashes, as well as simply failing to load. The random disconnect issue still exists, so you do not have to play it for long, just to be sure that it does run on your pc. Oddities such as shadows and such will be addressed in future updates, but we need to be sure that it runs for all players first.

 

Cooking testing!
This weekend we'll be launching public testing of the cooking and food part of the 1.3 update! We're currently in the process of ensuring it all runs smoothly on the new test server, and will open the gates to testing on Tomorrow (Saturday!) at uh, this time:

auction_timer_E1477134000.gif

We'll have a thread up then, a small survey, and like last time, some prizes for those who take part!

 

Map dumps
We've decided to set a date for the release of the map dumps to coincide with the release 1.3. It's a little later than we originally planned, but we feel it works well with the marking of a new update. We'll have them available for viewing online and download (I'll even arrange a torrent for a short period of time).

 

Feature or bug?

A question was raised regarding logout timers on Chaos being 5 minutes within enemy presence, and whether it was intended to be so, or 1 hour like on Epic. The answer is, well, a bit of both! While it's not a bug per se, we will look at the logout timers and make them the same across both clusters when in enemy presence.

 

If you have a question about a feature, or wondering if something is a bug, feel free to ask in this thread! I'll do my best to get answers from the dev team.

Community Content- Smeagain Ascending
Today saw the ascension of Smeagain to demigod on Epic! Will she survive long enough to be our first player Goddess? We'd like to congratulate her, and we're excited to see how it goes!

 

 

That's it for this week, I hope to see you all tomorrow at the testing of our new cooking system! Next week I'll have some stories to tell, maybe even some old stories about special resources from faraway planets and their properties....

 

Until then though, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

 

Feature or bug?

A question was raised regarding logout timers on Chaos being 5 minutes within enemy presence, and whether it was intended to be so, or 1 hour like on Epic. The answer is, well, a bit of both! While it's not a bug per se, we will look at the logout timers and make them the same across both clusters when in enemy presence.

thx

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Yay".. another god.

 

Congratulations for personal achievement, it's definitely great thing to do..

but overall... enough is enough IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Feature or bug?

A question was raised regarding logout timers on Chaos being 5 minutes within enemy presence, and whether it was intended to be so, or 1 hour like on Epic. The answer is, well, a bit of both! While it's not a bug per se, we will look at the logout timers and make them the same across both clusters when in enemy presence.

 

What is with this need to keep making chaos like epic? I never wanted to play epic and tired of epic players who ruined epic coming to chaos to pull there same crap on chaos.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

 

What is with this need to keep making chaos like epic? I never wanted to play epic and tired of epic players who ruined epic coming to chaos to pull there same crap on chaos.

Including the karma abilities like teleport?

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's about creating the best PvP envirment. How is logging off once you see all defences fell despite having the chance to stop it fair for the attacker. As a kingdom member who's been raided on epic and lived with no whilst Mr was in top raiding I can giveba unbiased review of this and set 60 minutes is fair. You can log in at the start of a raid and choose to defend knowing you might fail or log off. It will take enemy more than 1 hour to break down defences. You shouldn't be able to kill attackers then log off when your defence finally crumbled thanks to the attackers determination and reject that work and reward. Besides mr has the infrastructure to get out of deeds right. This will be a very positive update retro ty for looking into it.

 

 

 

Sent from phone

Edited by Mclovin
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lolmaster said:

Pls remove valeri items and sorcery spells from freedom, make it epic only.

 

especially the extremely broken OP ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weekly news turned into the suggestions subforum so gradually I hadn't even noticed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

It's about creating the best PvP envirment. How is logging off once you see all defences fell despite having the chance to stop it fair for the attacker. As a kingdom member who's been raided on epic and lived with no whilst Mr was in top raiding I can giveba unbiased review of this and set 60 minutes is fair. You can log in at the start of a raid and choose to defend knowing you might fail or log off. It will take enemy more than 1 hour to break down defences. You shouldn't be able to kill attackers then log off when your defence finally crumbled thanks to the attackers determination and reject that work and reward. Besides mr has the infrastructure to get out of deeds right. This will be a very positive update retro ty for looking into it.

 

 

 

Sent from phone

Exactly what Zeke is saying.

Whay make Chaos like Epic when epic has died in years compared to Chaos / Wild being here for ever. Don't bring failed ideas from the server to this one.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep doing the, "Feature or bug?" reports. This is a good idea. I do have one requests, and that is that GM's can not be allowed to use what is said in them as supporting proof for punishing players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SmackedDown said:

Exactly what Zeke is saying.

Whay make Chaos like Epic when epic has died in years compared to Chaos / Wild being here for ever. Don't bring failed ideas from the server to this one.

Epics rules are not failed ideas. Epic in some areas have better rules than chaos and chaos has some good rules over epic. We will of course as pvpers who have played with both set of rules cherry pick the ones that work. It was chaos asking for a reset and change to some mechanics a whole back if I remember correctly. Don't call something a failure because of it being Neglected. We love 60 minute log off timers because it's fair. You didn't respond with any points countering mine and just mentioned epic failure. Tell me how I'm the points I raised this current log out times is fair and why.

 

I'll take back tomes and moon metal to epic as Well. Failed server and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, joedobo said:

Keep doing the, "Feature or bug?" reports. This is a good idea. I do have one requests, and that is that GM's can not be allowed to use what is said in them as supporting proof for punishing players.

Not sure what you mean by this. If we rule something a bug or exploit, you're concerned about players reporting it being punished?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, joedobo said:

Keep doing the, "Feature or bug?" reports. This is a good idea. I do have one requests, and that is that GM's can not be allowed to use what is said in them as supporting proof for punishing players.

 

The problem here is that someone could easily get out of punishment for abuse simply by reporting his own abuse. Find bug, abuse bug until you get one you want, report it, get away with what you've done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaos is not Epic, we don't need the same rules as epic has, you're arguments are nothing more than you're own personal I want this list. 

 

So you would rather people log out of a deed an hour or more before you succeed in pulling down the defenses to escape? This just leads to less pvp opportunities and certainly will create less pvp opportunities. Some would rather fight to the end, but if it means no way out it is not going to happen.

 

You already got your 24hr no karma rule, how much pvp content has this created for you? Not a single ounce, you are left with deeds no one will bother defending (unless they happened to be a part of that deed, or already there) leaving you with nothing more than hours of catapulting and digging all by your lonesome.

 

Edited by JakeRivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JakeRivers said:

Chaos is not Epic, we don't need the same rules as epic has, you're arguments are nothing more than you're own personal I want this list. 

 

So you would rather people log out of a deed an hour or more before you succeed in pulling down the defenses to escape? This just leads to less pvp opportunities and certainly will create less pvp opportunities. Some would rather fight to the end, but if it means no way out it is not going to happen.

 

You already got your 24hr no karma rule, how much pvp content has this created for you? Not a single ounce, you are left with deeds no one will bother defending (unless they happened to be a part of that deed, or already there) leaving you with nothing more than hours of catapulting and digging all by your lonesome.

 

If a deed was designed with more then one way in or out then you could easily defend as long as possible and then escape into an underground cave system that leads away from deed - once past the enemy patrols (usually non-existent) then just make good your exit.

 

On VD Island on Epic there were three long (200+ tile) cave tunnels going from Vanaheim all the way across the island in three different directions. Even if the enemy infiltrated the tunnel system they still had to pick the right branch to be successful at capturing me before I could evade. This also allowed for reinforcement of a deed under seige by going completely under the enemy (which had the funny side effect of making them search everywhere for the reinforcements who were literally under their feet). A shallow wet tunnel system could also be used to escape with one or more ships of loot, something most enemies would hate (if you do this then make sure it's not just one big tunnel, break it up into sections so that you can reduce impact from an enemy break-in)

 

If the tunnels are planned properly you can also use them to steal enemy boats and loot etc from behind them when they advance to attack without leaving guards/sentries on the stuff they left behind. This was also quite amusing from time to time.

 

I think I just highlighted a few new things you can do in game that allow for greater pvp, more fun in deed design and you get to mess with the enemies head while they are messing with your deed.

 

Sounds more like proper fortress design rather then relying on a cool down timer to take away the enemies achievements.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Community Content- Smeagain Ascending
Today saw the ascension of Smeagain to demigod on Epic! Will she survive long enough to be our first player Goddess? We'd like to congratulate her, and we're excited to see how it goes!

 

Just to share with everyone since I don't believe anyone has shown it before - This is what the key looks like :P

 

hFlZQ3t.png

 

And you get the new years/whatever sparkles from use.  I've also made I think most my videos public in case anyone wants to see more dumb stuff and promote that the pvp community can be a fun place, but somehow unlisted->public screws over the publish time so they're all out of order and don't show the original upload time/date :l

 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Sounds more like proper fortress design rather then relying on a cool down timer to take away the enemies achievements.

 

Sounds like you had 1 hour logout to add into your defense planning right from the start, if they dropped this on us tomorrow like they did with the no-karma teleport for 24hrs with zero notice how fast do you think you can build multiple 200 tile tunnels that are fully reinforced? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll agree a 5 min timer might be a bit too short but a 1 hour timer will not make people want to defend anything they think is doomed from the start. Even if a crappy deed is doomed a small group might try to skirmish a bit to see what they can do to save it. If they have 0 way to save themselves (logout) even if that means that it can still be sure death when they log back in the fact is the ability to log out is still there. 

 

If a change is necessary my suggestion is to look at a halfway point between the 2 extremes.

Something else also has to be kept in mind is sometimes real life calls and you have to go. Be it an emergency or you forgot to look down at the time and are late for something a long impossible timer will not be a good thing. 

 

My comment on epic having 1 hour and chaos 5 mins both clusters have a whole lot of differences and one of the big ones is the value of good on chaos cluster vs the epic cluster. 

Edited by Mystikal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour isn't set in stone, and may be adjusted across both clusters, so don't immediately assume the worst. (sorry if that wasn't clear prior)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

1 hour isn't set in stone, and may be adjusted across both clusters, so don't immediately assume the worst. (sorry if that wasn't clear prior)

What isn't clear is why change it at all?

If epic has it at 1 hour and it works on epic then leave it alone. If Chaos is at 5mins and it works why change it?

 

Epic and Chaos are not the same don't make them the same.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this