Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Sleeping in tents

I know i know, what an outrageous idea.

here's a post from 2008, before we had them;

My Suggestion:  A portable bed, that can be put anywhere.

• Like 5

-1  It does suck to miss out on SB when you're out-and-about, but the system now promotes searching out  a hotel or inn and can thus help contribute a bit more to community.  Anyway, sleeping in a tent doesn't give near the same rest as sleeping in a proper bed in a comfortable room, so it makes sense that you can only get the benefits of SB from a proper bed.  What would be interesting is if you got "more" sleep bonus depending on the type and QL of the bed.

• Like 1

Sleeping bag wouldn't be such a bad idea if they make the sleep bonus grow at like 1/4 or 1/3 of what a bed can do.  Make the tent a requirement to use a sleeping bag and have sleeping bags decay quicker off deed like how tents do.

I'd still search for an Inn, but if I'm in the middle of no where and need to log off for a few hours and have my tent out.....why not get a little sleep bonus or a placebo effect to make us feel good for using it.  lol

• Like 1

+1

Was coming to post same idea.

Was also thinking along same lines as @nicedreams.  ie. Tent gives 1/4 bonus.  +  New Item(sleeping bag=cloth&leather/fur) which would add a further 1/4

Seeing as new players will be starting with 5 hours SB at some point, a way to replenish a bit as they use it up wouldn't be a bad idea and would introduce the concept from the start.

• Like 2

On 2016-10-21 at 6:13 AM, Aariez said:

-1  It does suck to miss out on SB when you're out-and-about, but the system now promotes searching out  a hotel or inn and can thus help contribute a bit more to community.

That would be nice if people didn't lock up their deeds. If the majority of people had open gates to their towns then i would agree with you. but no point promoting a system that doesnt work with the current community.

+1

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yiraia said:

That would be nice if people didn't lock up their deeds. If the majority of people had open gates to their towns then i would agree with you. but no point promoting a system that doesnt work with the current community.

+1

Ontop of that, us Xanadians have little to no traffic anyway. I actually have an inn with beds for passersby, but I think Thorin Oakshield who built the coastal road in NE Xan was the only non-civilian to ever take a rest from his tunnel works next to the deed in that inn.

This idea could also nicely tie in with MrGARY's recent suggestion that new accounts should spawn with some SB to help them set up until they have a house and bed.

Some people in that thread remarked they didn't even know what SB was to begin with for a long time (Neither did I). Giving the tent a less restful sleep would also help newbies set up to have a proper bed and provide an item to actually teach them about the SB mechanic. (Just giving them sleep bonus wouldn't really address not knowing about it imho)

Why make a house with a bed if you can live out of a portable bed? Take a moment and hammer out a 2x1 and make a bed in it if you want sleep bonus. 

• Like 1

Sleeping in a bed in a house full SB...sleeping in a tent a much lower bonus...agreed.

That being said, sleeping in a big ship would have to be addressed.  I can sleep a lot better on a boat than in a tent.

Just sayin'

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Why make a house with a bed if you can live out of a portable bed? Take a moment and hammer out a 2x1 and make a bed in it if you want sleep bonus. 

gif-family-guy-tv-shows-tv-1075564.gif

^If i could build houses this fast then sure, but I have a life and I would like journeymen to have the same benefits as people who hide in their deeds to grind skills. And PLENTY of people will still make beds because they are improvable/repairable. Tents are harder to make, not repairable, and not improvable. Another reason to make a bed rather than a tent would be keeping things compact within a deed. Tents can't be in buildings (i think) but you can make 4 floors and have 4 beds on 1 tile (1 on each floor). People would also make beds because they want their place to look nice. 

6 hours ago, Dorian said:

Sleeping in a bed in a house full SB...sleeping in a tent a much lower bonus...agreed.

Seeing that tents are more difficult to make than beds, I'm pretty sure tents should give just as much sleep bonus as beds. 

Edited by Yiraia
Its 4am, I can't sleep

+1, Have the tent take dmg every time you sleep in it.

10 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

From a priest main, nope

My backpack model has a bedroll on it, let me use it!

At least so I have an instant logout after an ingame 1 minute timer and not risk me/my pet being attacked while logging off in the wild. Not too worried about sleep bonus.

• Like 2

-1 srry i have an inn with beds ppl can sleep for free if theyre traveling so wouldnt get as many ppl stopping by and i like company but it does make sense that you should be able to sleep in a tent if youre not near any active deeds with beds available so +1

• Like 1

Know what existed before sleeping bags?

Bedrolls, which were different type of blankets layered and folded together similar to a sleeping bag. Some insulated while other layers would help to keep you dry.

Some older camping manuals describe them. Don't recall if scout manuals still do.

Course in tents one could also have cots or collapsible beds.

Heck for that matter having a new kind of housing with waxed cloth-framed, collapsible walls.

We still have "hammocks" :D

Edited by Klaa

Oh yes. Yes. Sleep in tent! And / or on big ships. Come on lets ask ourselves, why did we make those many desk parts if we don't have a little space for a nap? :D

Normal SB. Make the item take some damage, like beds do, that makes sense.

PS: just tonight I went to an "inn" building somewhere and hey guess what, it was all locked. It seems to me that real inns - *public* inns - have got more rare in the last years. I really wish people would stop naming these locked buildings inn. Name it "my private building I am teasing you with and giving it to whom I please ktnxbye". ;)

Btw this was a +1. Just give us travelers a bone, err, tent to sleep in. :D

• Like 3

On 10/21/2016 at 12:13 PM, Aariez said:

-1  It does suck to miss out on SB when you're out-and-about, but the system now promotes searching out  a hotel or inn and can thus help contribute a bit more to community.  Anyway, sleeping in a tent doesn't give near the same rest as sleeping in a proper bed in a comfortable room, so it makes sense that you can only get the benefits of SB from a proper bed.  What would be interesting is if you got "more" sleep bonus depending on the type and QL of the bed.

+1 to Aariez, -1 to sleeping in tents. Community stuff can't be made obsolete, remember that.

I will sleep in a tent in the forest over the weekend here in Sweden.

I will report back in this thread whether I slept better or worse than in my bed at home.

yes maybe with less sleep bonus granted.

Also bedrolls to sleep on the ground anywhere with also less sleep bonus.

but tent with a bedroll in should grant a bit more (yet less than a bed)

whats the point when u can just make an epic portal in 5 minutes with just a chisel and a hatchet that would allow you to get 100% of the sb a bed would give

wurms based on real life  a portal to me n larger than life stuff I don't like each to his own but .  sounds good to have  a bed in tent n boat away from home . different islands I go the doors are locked n no beds to sleep I end up finding a second floor place n standing there so no trolls can kill me when I log off or I spend hrs looking for safety to log out.I think half normal sleep bonus would be fair