Sign in to follow this  
Greyfox

Marketing plan timeline

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Retrograde said:

We will be increasing our global marketing over late 2016 and into 2017 through various strategies including social media and advertising.

Also, Taufiqkh is contracted part time to work on improving our payment systems and will also be working along with others on the planned account system in 2017.

If this includes a buy x silver im happy

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:19 AM, Retrograde said:

We will be increasing our global marketing over late 2016 and into 2017 through various strategies including social media and advertising.

Also, Taufiqkh is contracted part time to work on improving our payment systems and will also be working along with others on the planned account system in 2017.

So where are those ads?  I haven't seen any.  Has anyone seen one?  

1 hour ago, Greyfox said:

It's January. Chill your tea.

1 hour ago, Chakron said:

Greyfox, I missed you. Where have you been?

Mostly hiding on my island deed :)

20 minutes ago, Joelle said:

It's January. Chill your tea.

I like my tea hot, if it's not hot it's just a bottled flavoured drink.  And as you say, it's January, if I don't drink my tea fast it'll chill on its own :P  If you want to talk more about tea Joelle I'd be happy to, you create a thread dedicated to tea and I will happily pretend to look at it :P

9 hours ago, Greyfox said:

ya know, this may be why they're reluctant to give timelines. ;)

Deadlines do help if they were procrastinating, here's a funny Ted Talk on that:

https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_urban_inside_the_mind_of_a_master_procrastinator

But that's not the case here.  There was recently a thread regarding the current condition of the tutorial.  They are also actively developing an improved UI (though I find nothing wrong with the current one, but still). 

They're on a tight budget, at least I think they are.  Biggest bang for the buck would be when they've addressed those kinds of things that are so important to first impressions.  When you think back to how Wurm looked when a lot of us started, and the fact that it was one dude in his Swedish outhouse with an extension cord making it happen... I don't think, as a customer, that we need to be worried about Wurm going anywhere.

They're not shutting off the lights, they are instead successfully developing and implementing rather impressive additions to the game.

If they were foolish with their investments, such as marketing at a time they are not in a good position to retain players, thereby wasting their marketing budget... I think that would worry me more than fiscal prudence and patience on their part.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to agree with Retro. Timelines and business plans are not of any concern to players of any game. Ask Guild Wars' maker ANET, for example, and they will not even bother to give you a response even if you phrase your questions more politely than you have. 

I understand your frustration with the matter, and it's true that Wurm's player base has decreased and that there are some issues that seriously effect gameplay, but nevertheless the staff are always working to support players with all the issues they have, and new players do come in.

As a part of the PR team, I am able to clearly state that we are working on things and not sitting idly by while the game loses its players. Suggestions and comments do not go unnoticed. However, the way you phrase your questions, and the way you copy-pasted the screenshots of a private conversation with Retro seems utterly inappropriate. His responses were polite and the best any of us could give you, and even if that doesn't satisfy you I'm afraid there won't be any better in sight from anyone.

Making this a public issue or discussion does not make it better in any way. While I understand sharing your concerns with one of our team members, I do not have any sort of understanding for trying to get attention by posting in public and complaining about answers that you have received. All you can achieve this way is a thread filled with angry comments in which members express frustration about whatever isn't going their way and turn it into something that attacks and insults our team and their efforts.

Keep in mind that a lot of us are doing work for Wurm on a voluntary basis. We do not receive monetary or other compensation for what we do. Instead, all our work is directed to improve Wurm and support its players, including you. It would be better suited to show some appreciation and come up with actual suggestions to improve Wurm rather than to complain about things you can not know about.

• Like 7

It's pretty simple really.  

Go buy a Ford truck, ask about Ford's timelines and plans.  You won't get much response.   Buy $100M worth of Ford stock and ask,  they'll probably tell you.

If you want to have a say in things then and be aware of detailed plans then invest.

Edited by belthize

I don't know about you, but if I was losing paying customers (players in retrogrades case apparently) as quickly as Wurm has been over the last year and a half, I would be as transparent as possible and let the customers hold me accountable for any promises made and not met.

• Like 5

Any time is a good time for some advertizing, If we wait for teh best time, we can wait forever.

• Like 1

First they need to fix 1.3 cooking issues before doing anything else.

With 1.3 Blacklight/Libila followers cannot eat and use the ccfp bar for example.

I rather prefer they fix stuff like this then that they hop on to the next project without fixing new problems that came with 1.3.

Just my simple opinion.

13 hours ago, Yldrania said:

I'm going to have to agree with Retro. Timelines and business plans are not of any concern to players of any game. Ask Guild Wars' maker ANET, for example, and they will not even bother to give you a response even if you phrase your questions more politely than you have. 

I understand your frustration with the matter, and it's true that Wurm's player base has decreased and that there are some issues that seriously effect gameplay, but nevertheless the staff are always working to support players with all the issues they have, and new players do come in.

As a part of the PR team, I am able to clearly state that we are working on things and not sitting idly by while the game loses its players. Suggestions and comments do not go unnoticed. However, the way you phrase your questions, and the way you copy-pasted the screenshots of a private conversation with Retro seems utterly inappropriate. His responses were polite and the best any of us could give you, and even if that doesn't satisfy you I'm afraid there won't be any better in sight from anyone.

Making this a public issue or discussion does not make it better in any way. While I understand sharing your concerns with one of our team members, I do not have any sort of understanding for trying to get attention by posting in public and complaining about answers that you have received. All you can achieve this way is a thread filled with angry comments in which members express frustration about whatever isn't going their way and turn it into something that attacks and insults our team and their efforts.

Keep in mind that a lot of us are doing work for Wurm on a voluntary basis. We do not receive monetary or other compensation for what we do. Instead, all our work is directed to improve Wurm and support its players, including you. It would be better suited to show some appreciation and come up with actual suggestions to improve Wurm rather than to complain about things you can not know about.

My tone changed after he deleted my initial thread.   I was polite the first time around.   Retro doing the internet version of hanging up on a customer changed my tone.   I copy pasted screen shots of the private chat because Retro has proven many times he will simply delete threads he doesn't feel like answering.  
You are also responding to my OP.   I bumped this because Retro claimed their would be advertisement.   I'm wondering if anyone has seen any yet.

12 hours ago, belthize said:

It's pretty simple really.  

Go buy a Ford truck, ask about Ford's timelines and plans.  You won't get much response.   Buy $100M worth of Ford stock and ask,  they'll probably tell you.

If you want to have a say in things then and be aware of detailed plans then invest.

If Ford was loosing customers as fast as Wurm is I'd be asking the exact same thing before buying from them.   I'd like to know the warranty on the vehicle I buy will still have a company to back it.   If Ford decided to hang up on me, or simply ignore me, or worse, made excuses, I wouldn't buy from them.
As for investing in Code Club, that's a neat idea, but I don't think there is a plan for an IPO and even if there was not real sure I'd invest.   Not when their head PR guy can't even treat customers like customers.

I am not for badgering people in games but  more often then not Wurm seems to give blow off answers.

Kind of like the bridges things its coming out next year.. OR soon.. Or multistory houses etc etc.

So it is of no surprise and Wurm staff volunteer or paid should realize those of us that have been here awhile are a bit jaded by past experiences.

And that is a legitimate and verifiable truth throughout Wurms history.

I would like to see an answer to woosoo's statement which he was very nice to share. 

IS there a consideration of press release or developing close relationships with the bigger mmo community?

Is the Wurm staff seriously afraid that a large player base may cause such a wurm melt down it is not able to function?

I give Wurm credit its a Java game and 2d and has all kinds of challenges. 

Do we need better hardware to run the game and deal with the massive Xanadu lag issues?

Have you considered kickstarter or any other function to help with Java challenges?

If you would be so kind as to answer these questions I would appreciate it.

Like I've said before, it's ongoing. we're barely a month into the new year.

(you may not have seen any advertising, but several hundred thousand did)

3 hours ago, puncher said:

...those of us that have been here awhile are a bit jaded by past experiences.

If you've been here long enough and have been through those experiences then you already know that no amount of advertisement or bug squashing is going to make people line up to play this game. It's a niche game with a very slow grind and a development pace that isn't quite up to the "instant gratification" standards that we, as humans, have now.

The entire game would need to be reworked (and staffed/restaffed) in order for that to happen.

Even if you want that to change, why bother complaining? It's not going to happen. You've been here long enough to know that... right?

As for the whole "sky is falling" mentality seen in this thread, this game's still got plenty of people logging in. More so than there were when I was a noob, and even back then there was no sign of the game disappearing. You guys are overreacting.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

well now you're just inviting someone to say, "Great!  Where can I see it?  What did it look like?  Can you point me to it?"

That's a lot of people.  I think more than some kind of booth at a gaming convention, right?  So... some kind of online advert?  When did it go out?  Is there a link?  I mean, several hundred thousand saw it, so it can't exactly be a big secret. :)

I really don't see how the Marketing Plan for this game is any of the players business. Neither have they hired any of them for that position. This goes way beyond any complaints about the game functions, which are more the appropriate topics for player input and it is even encouraged. The game will rise and fall based upon the Developers insight and efforts, which is why I have never felt the slightest responsibility for it.

=Ayes=

Awww Greyfox think he, as a customer, is entitled to the companys marketing plan. adorable.

On 10/21/2016 at 0:29 AM, rixk said:

Not a single company would give you an answer. Go to a local business(where you are customer) and tell them, that as a customer you demand to see their marketing plans, business plan etc. You would be sent to where the sun doesn't shine. Why do you expect any different here? You are a customer, don't act like you were owning a part of the company. Paying for premium does give you only what it promises, premium time in game.

This is not your typical local business and we as players put in time as an investment at times. With the shat customer service this game has for a while now and the BS responses about yea we have a plan but we wont tell anyone is simply BS. So as customers who are concerned we would like to know that something is being done something is really planned a few hints at it is not telling us in detail what they have planned but at least that there will be something. People like you are a problem and thus one the reasons why the when team is as unprofessional as they come. As my post here shedding truth will end up being deleted as this thread. But soon enough posts will start appearing on forums that when mods have no powers to so I wonder how they are going to deal with all the bad light shed then. 

Again to sum this up although players might be asking for a marketing plan doesnt mean the team has to give every detail just a simple yea we will be doing something and a few hints at it. Its just the same sorry for years with this team.

Rant over ill go about my business a little bit longer. 

Edited by MaurizioAM
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

So can we see what several hundred thousand people seen for advertisement that we as players have not seen? Pathetic

• Like 1

Future advertising is in the works, but there are issues to shore up first, we follow those who register and enter the game and track conversion stats, who goes where, how many wind up buying premium, all that jazz.

Also, the ad was via social media, facebook, reddit, targetting specific interests. I'm not sure what there is to "see" beyond the 1.3 update landing page

• Like 1

At least a few people must have seen it, as there's been an influx of newbies and new deeds on Xan just this month (and chat trolls, but that seems to be the way it goes).

I like it when the customer feels entitled to know the direction the company is going. Makes me chuckle.

There is a difference between customers and shareholders that people seem to miss out on. Customers misunderstand this, and sometimes act like if they are shareholders. Customers make purchases of a product or service for their personal/business use. Shareholders pay not for a product, but for the right of a partnership in a company. They get nothing other than the right to be in said company's business.

What this company does is their business unless we are willing to become a shareholder, if that is even an option. Sure, we have a right to complain about the quality of their product/service, but your only vote is your wallet. We can always choose to not spend our money and move elsewhere if we don't like the direction the company is heading, and if they do poorly, people will continue to vote with their wallets. Look at the Epic servers if you need an example.

Make suggestions, not demands. We are not entitled to them, and the fact that Retrograde even entertains the idea to give us an update is a blessing, not a right. This game has a very open development team and staff. GMs are people who play among us, and enjoy the game as much as we do. 

Thank you for the update, Retrograde, we appreciate it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Future advertising is in the works, but there are issues to shore up first, we follow those who register and enter the game and track conversion stats, who goes where, how many wind up buying premium, all that jazz.

Also, the ad was via social media, facebook, reddit, targetting specific interests. I'm not sure what there is to "see" beyond the 1.3 update landing page

http://www.wurmonline.com/meet-the-team/

Be one place to start, pretty outdated.

13 minutes ago, Kadore said:

http://www.wurmonline.com/meet-the-team/

Be one place to start, pretty outdated.

Outdated eh?  Here is Rolf's Luxor ABC80.  Nothing outdated about that at all.  :lol:'

Glad he included that in that little interview.  Always funny to see how far technology has come in so little time.**

ABC80x3.jpg

**Transistor invented in 1947.  Roswell Alien crash, 1947.  Majestic 12 US Gov't committee on little aliens, 1947.  Tin foil hats?  1947.