Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Allow mounted pets to stay out of combat

The above thread got me thinking about how annoying it is using tamed creatures as mounts, especially ones that must be tamed, like unicorns and (to a degree) hell horses. Since tamed animals are treated the same as you by hostile critters, they inevitably wind up fighting stuff and getting hurt, and that's a problem! In that way, right now taming a creature can actually reduce its usefulness, which an oddity this suggestion could possibly address.

I propose a toggle in the "Pet" menu that would let a tamed animal act neutral while mounted, so that creatures treat the pet the same as if it weren't tame, and the pet stays out of combat while mounted.

This would make tamed animals much more usable as mounts, particularly the ones you can't ride otherwise. It wouldn't have any affect on PvP, since someone in PvP can target the creature regardless, which should probably cause it to fight back regardless of this toggle. I can't think of any particularly bad side-effects in general, really, and it would increase the usefulness of at least a couple different critters.

Edited by Ostentatio

Perhaps a benefit after a certain level of animal taming? Seems like a nice idea +1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pingpong said:

Perhaps a benefit after a certain level of animal taming? Seems like a nice idea +1

Allowing this at a certain level of Animal Taming skill, or at a certain pet loyalty level, would be nice.

Edited by Ostentatio

Interesting idea would make hell horses actually useful.

16 minutes ago, Explora said:

Interesting idea would make hell horses actually useful.

They are already useful.

33 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

I propose a toggle in the "Pet" menu that would let a tamed animal act neutral while mounted, so that creatures treat the pet the same as if it weren't tame, and the pet stays out of combat while mounted.

You realize that about 4 years ago a change was made that allowed all mounted animals to be attacked by aggros? So a toggle as you suggest would still allow them to be attacked, just not as frequently as if they were tamed.

Better yet than this would just be to revert it back to the old way where mounted animals would not be attacked by aggros. Then just add on this to apply to tamed ones as well.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ayes said:

You realize that about 4 years ago a change was made that allowed all mounted animals to be attacked by aggros? So a toggle as you suggest would still allow them to be attacked, just not as frequently as if they were tamed.

Better yet than this would just be to revert it back to the old way where mounted animals would not be attacked by aggros. Then just add on this to apply to tamed ones as well.

=Ayes=

I thought non-tamed mounts were only attacked by starving carnivores or something like that, or possibly branded ones being attacked by kingdom-affiliated creatures or rift monsters? I know I've never had a hitched or mounted animal get attacked while I was out hunting, but I don't know what outlier scenarios might exist. But yeah, limiting those circumstances is probably a good idea.

Edited by Ostentatio

Animals hitched to carts or wagons won't be attacked. This change I mentioned was made to apply only to animals that were mounted (being ridden) by players. Something about no risk to animals being killed while ridden being unacceptable. Just after this change a lot of players horses were being targeted and killed, even if you targeted the aggro first. Then a year or two later it seems (unannounced) this tendency was greatly reduced.

Now it is at the stage where it rarely happens so those who weren't around when this change was made are surprised when their untamed mounts are attacked and usually killed if not noticed quickly. I am surprised now how casually players attack aggros without fear of this happening.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I still think a toggle allowing tamed mounts to be attacked as rarely as non-tamed would be a step in the right direction. If that also needs to be toned down, that's certainly debatable. If it's as rare as it seems to be, it might as well never happen anyway rather than surprise some poor guy with a troll hitting his untamed horse out of the blue after 2 years of play.

After an evening of hunting on a tame hell horse, and with 278 instances of "moves in to attack you" in my combat log for this session, my mount was targeted exactly 0 times.  I was even riding up to mobs and letting them choose their target, and they always went for me.

I'm not saying that pet management doesn't need work, but the common gripe about tame mounts being attacked so often seems to no longer be valid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Noizhead said:

After an evening of hunting on a tame hell horse, and with 278 instances of "moves in to attack you" in my combat log for this session, my mount was targeted exactly 0 times.  I was even riding up to mobs and letting them choose their target, and they always went for me.

I'm not saying that pet management doesn't need work, but the common gripe about tame mounts being attacked so often seems to no longer be valid.

If that really is the case, great.

Does anyone else have their experience to add as evidence for or against this?

Yeah, Ayes. I remember that ###### patch. I miss Potwarrior.

+1 to op. +1 to taming requirement.

+3 to just remove it entirely.

To answer the question, I wasn't around for the patch that greatly reduced the aggros. I lost a horse I had for a long time the day after the original update which made mounted animals a targettable offense. That is all that stuck in memory.

Noiz: good news, but possibly due to being a HellHorse vs a regular brown?

Edited by Makarus
nerfs are deadly upgrades are fun
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ayes said:

Animals hitched to carts or wagons won't be attacked. This change I mentioned was made to apply only to animals that were mounted (being ridden) by players. Something about no risk to animals being killed while ridden being unacceptable. Just after this change a lot of players horses were being targeted and killed, even if you targeted the aggro first. Then a year or two later it seems (unannounced) this tendency was greatly reduced.

Now it is at the stage where it rarely happens so those who weren't around when this change was made are surprised when their untamed mounts are attacked and usually killed if not noticed quickly. I am surprised now how casually players attack aggros without fear of this happening.

=Ayes=

But.. like... traveling sucks.. being time consuming..and mobs in wurm are kind of .. OP etc.. etc.. I personally.. LOVE to have a horse/cart and keep having it for the whole way... I don't think that it will be fun to change my 30min-1hour trip with 3hour dragging(from a cart with horses with gear to... wild 0 trait bulls  as replacement if my horse dies from natural aging or mob-attack. Fighting is fun as it is.. as you can move away and heal.. and your mount's safe(on pve, rifts are exception where mobs just trash mounts on your cart).

Everything takes enough time.. fighting - healing, water/food, weight management of the loot.. all takes time, adding fears for the mounts, seems excessive, that will bring fighting grinds back... a 90fs char could be worth in times more if mounts are targeted by the mobs. For me.. this would kill all the fun in pve fighting.

11 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

I still think a toggle allowing tamed mounts to be attacked as rarely as non-tamed would be a step in the right direction. If that also needs to be toned down, that's certainly debatable. If it's as rare as it seems to be, it might as well never happen anyway rather than surprise some poor guy with a troll hitting his untamed horse out of the blue after 2 years of play.

Tamed anything imo... being a dog/cow/horse etc.. imo we should be able to tame and use mobs to help us..or add to that RP and have a pet around..

Maybe make it so unless you specify that the dog's in aggressive mode.. and could/will attack anything hostile/attacking-you/or as your-target-during-combat(being hostile or not like blue/red outline). This could make dogs to be useful for noobs.. and maybe other things for experienced players, being dogs or w/e wu-dumped high-op stat animal..<_<

But... that's kind of a 'pet-system' that have been suggested a bunch of times already.

What about that horse trait..: "It will fight fiercely." = +1 combat rating

Does that add +1cr to the player when riding it?? or does the horse do more damage on it's own?? and another thing.. do horses that we ride even attack back, while we're riding them and they're being attacked by something? We could all think of games/movies/irl scenarios where horses could kick and assist in fighting, but not here.

7 hours ago, Noizhead said:

Try hitch a tamed horse to a cart and ride around, you should get the horse picked often enough, if the aggro system didnt get a random silent update some time ago. I just never tamed my horses for that reason, turning tames into aggro magnets.

I make the out the horse attacked rate at 1-500 mobs roughly, it's been very toned down from what it once was. Interestinly, after a certain point (no idea what) mob strikes go up significantly on your horse when out hunting. A relog usually fixes said issue.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Makarus said:

Yeah, Ayes. I remember that ###### patch. I miss Potwarrior.

I can relate. Shortly after that aggro will attack ridden mounts change that are not tamed my poor horse Osioosio was tragically killed by some random mob. Sadly I buried him and mourned the loss of my first horse in Wurm. Not much as far as traits went but the sentimental value was the thing. Even made a post about on these forums.

For years after I never again rode my horses because of this and just stuck to riding horse carts, in spite of the combat penalty. Maybe now I will ride them again in Troll infested areas and just lead them when picking sprouts or replanting, since now ridden mounts are attacked so infrequently. Pretty dangerous fighting Trolls on foot because of all the misses and glancing attacks when they themselves never miss when attacking you.

Of course now that this has been pointed out I wouldn't be surprised if their attacks on mounts were increased once again. Cats out of the bag, eh?

=Ayes=

• Like 1

After cooking update, maybe they can focus on a taming, breeding and new animal update.

We Need Battle Pets!    Why not.  lol.  Make it easier to fight trolls with pets.  Breed some bears that have like strong traits as a tank and have lions that are bred to be fast fighters and so on.

• Like 1