Sign in to follow this  
Nuinethir

Allow building corners to touch

Title. I recently tried to do a build that currently isn't allowed. I wanted to run arched bridges between each tower to create an arched facade for the building. I don't see why buildings should not share corners in this manner. Thanks for reading. :)

dP61R2N.png

I don't think buildings should be able to share corners, per se. It's fine in a case like yours, but it also would allow people to block infinitely large areas with buildings, which has implications, especially in PvE. You'd be able to have staggered longhouse structures that are extremely long by having them meet at corners, or make gigantic donut houses composed of four linear buildings that form a square.

I think a good compromise would be allowing the corner buildings to simply be planned as part of the structure. It would take significantly more carpentry skill, but doesn't have the aforementioned unintended consequences.

• Like 2

yeah this woulda been handy for my most recent.. plans.
I've adapted. ish. and built the arches. 
nonetheless..

+1 towards Ostentatio's compromise.

There are times on deed when I wished that I could have building corners touch like this when constructing a new one. If it were restricted to on deed buildings only I don't see a problem with it, so yes a good suggestion.

=Ayes=

5 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

I don't think buildings should be able to share corners, per se. It's fine in a case like yours, but it also would allow people to block infinitely large areas with buildings, which has implications, especially in PvE. You'd be able to have staggered longhouse structures that are extremely long by having them meet at corners, or make gigantic donut houses composed of four linear buildings that form a square.

I think a good compromise would be allowing the corner buildings to simply be planned as part of the structure. It would take significantly more carpentry skill, but doesn't have the aforementioned unintended consequences.

I never thought of that and it makes complete sense. But yeah, having it as part of the original building would definitely be acceptable. Thanks for your suggestion! :)

• Like 1

I like it, with Ost's added commentary.

Too exploitable without a limitation.

Too cool to live forever without.

Afaik its never been an option, so unsure if there's some issue with the code. Never having such also makes any trap concerns mostly theoretical.

Now structures like doughnut houses worked with the code, and were taken out due to trap concerns. Later put back in.

Then having minedoors inside of writs caused BOTH code issues and trap concerns.

On 10/20/2016 at 9:45 PM, Ostentatio said:

On 10/21/2016 at 6:23 AM, Makarus said:

I like it, with Ost's added commentary.

Too exploitable without a limitation.

Too cool to live forever without.

I'm kind of lazy to look for house calculator.. but isn't that building plan more than easy to lay down with enough carpentry skill?

Isn't the point for skilling up carpentry(oddly not masonry:huh::wacko:) also to be able to plan own or other's big structures?

45 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I'm kind of lazy to look for house calculator.. but isn't that building plan more than easy to lay down with enough carpentry skill?

Isn't the point for skilling up carpentry(oddly not masonry:huh::wacko:) also to be able to plan own or other's big structures?

The carpentry skill needed is 1 point per tile and exterior wall. Right now each tile of house costs 1 to 4 points of carpentry to plan, while these floating corners would need 5, hence "take significantly more carpentry skill", the OP building would need 65 skill to plan, 20 from the 4 corner tiles alone.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

Allowing corners to touch would create massive walled in off deed area's on freedom, don't think it will happen.

• Like 1