Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

DPMapAssist: a tool adding some nice functions to DeedPlanner map editing

We all love DeedPlanner, Warlander's fantastic house and deed planning program. It is an awesome tool - definitely the best for creating and viewing maps of your current or future settlement in Wurm Online!

Unfortunately, DeedPlanner is lacking a few functions that would be very nice to have. You cannot copy or move parts of a map, you cannot split maps into smaller parts or combine several maps into one. Also, you cannot store "templates" of your creations (buildings, structures, topology) as separate files. This is where DPMapAssist comes in!

DPMapAssist is a little software tool for editing deed map files, made with DeedPlanner. ("DP" will be used as an abbreviation for DeedPlanner.) DPMapAssist offers some edit functions that the original DeedPlanner does not provide:

·    Select an area of a DP map and copy/paste it to another location in the current map

·    Export an area to a new DP map file

·    Import a DP map file and paste its contents to any location in the current map

·    Erase a selected area of the map

·    Save the edited map to a new DP map file.

With these functional additions (and working together with the original DeedPlanner) it is possible to:
·    Clear large areas of a map
·    Copy or move parts of a map to another location of the map
·    Split a map into several smaller maps
·    Combine several maps into one larger map.

q5aTlow.jpg?1

(Please note: DPMapAssist does not replace DeedPlanner, nor does it make DeedPlanner obsolete. On the contrary - you will still need the original DeedPlanner to work with your maps! DPMapAssist only provides some additional functions you may have missed in DeedPlanner.)

DPMapAssist  was made for Microsoft Windows 10, but will also work with Windows 7/8. It requires the .NET Framework 4.5 (or any newer version), which already should be present on your computer if you are running Windows.

To install, just unpack the zip archive and copy the two files (DPMapAssist.exe and DPMapAssist.chm) to any folder you like. Double-click the exe file to run.

The program comes with a help file (DPMapAssist.chm) describing how it works and what can be done!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please check my other tools: WurmClock, WurmDate,  WurmSkills , WurmStatus
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates:

V 0.10 (19-Oct-2016):  First beta release

• Like 4

Yaga heard you like third party utilities, so here's a third party utility to go with your third party utility!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Klaa said:

Yaga heard you like third party utilities, so here's a third party utility to go with your third party utility!

Does it make this utility a 4th party utility or 9th party (32) utility?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zigozag said:

Does it make this utility a 4th party utility or 9th party (32) utility?

3rd party once removed?

• Like 1

sigh on newer deedplaner map files geting  file looks to old

Try to load the map file into Deed Planner (latest version) and save it back to disk. If it still doesn't work, can you send me the map file for investigation, please?

On 24.10.2016 at 9:16 PM, icbash said:

sigh on newer deedplaner map files geting  file looks to old

I know this is a (very) late reply, but... This is not an error message, unless something crashes this simply means that exported DP map was (most likely) NOT exported using the DeedPlanner itself... Which is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

I have the same issue icbash had. I have a map file that was exported from WO and edited in Deed Planner. I am getting the error message:

This file does not seem to be a valid Deed Planner map file:
<file location removed>

(Maybe an old map file version?)

It will not allow me to open the file. Is there any way around this?

Please try to load the exported map into Deed Planner and save it again. DPMapAssist may then be able to work with it.

Unfortunately I was not able to keep DPMapAssist up to date. The program is old and may not work well with the latest DP maps. :(

I *may* be able to update this tool again, possibly when the new DP version will be available.

22 hours ago, Yaga said:

Please try to load the exported map into Deed Planner and save it again. DPMapAssist may then be able to work with it.

Unfortunately I was not able to keep DPMapAssist up to date. The program is old and may not work well with the latest DP maps. :(

I *may* be able to update this tool again, possibly when the new DP version will be available.

Yeah, I just saved the generic map Deed Planner creates when you open it & got the same error message so it's definitely an issue with any newer DP maps.

22 hours ago, Yaga said:

Just in case, map format used by the program won't change much in 3.0.

Info most likely used by DPMapAssint initially won't change at all, but please make sure you interpret all values other than ID's (shortnames) in case-insensitive manner as case can vary depending on exporter (DP2, DP3, Wurm all export in different case).

• Like 1

*cries in MacOs*

I needed this so many times in the past and will need it many times in the future.

I really like this. I miss the ability to move whole buildings in Deed Planner.

Hopefully one day these functions will be added to Deed Planner or DPMapAssist will have a mac version.

2 hours ago, SweetSusie said:

*cries in MacOs*

I needed this so many times in the past and will need it many times in the future.

I really like this. I miss the ability to move whole buildings in Deed Planner.

Hopefully one day these functions will be added to Deed Planner or DPMapAssist will have a mac version.

https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

can always try that and see if it will run with wine

Does this not work with Deed Planner 3? Every time I try to open a file with this tool it says the file can't be used and asks if it's out of date. I have made 3 maps in Deed Planner 3 and none can be imported.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:17 AM, wipeout said:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

can always try that and see if it will run with wine

Thanks! I was thinking about that, but havent tried yet... I tried that with the clock thingy once but that didn't work out that well. 

A lot of things dont really work (well) with Wine if they are not in the Wine Application Database. :(

On 7/13/2020 at 4:33 AM, Hammer said:

Does this not work with Deed Planner 3?

I am sorry, but DPMapAssist is rather old and has never been updated to work with DP3. I *may* find some time to work on it, but tbh I am not sure if I can. (That tool never had more than a handful of users, so I kind of abandoned the project a while ago. Sorry :( )

1 hour ago, Yaga said:

I am sorry, but DPMapAssist is rather old and has never been updated to work with DP3. I *may* find some time to work on it, but tbh I am not sure if I can. (That tool never had more than a handful of users, so I kind of abandoned the project a while ago. Sorry :( )

This shouldn't be a hard task - DP3 XML saves are almost identical to DP2 saves, with just a few exceptions - I think the only potentially tool breaking change is a way in which objects/decorations are exported. Instead of word describing where the object is located, program saves X and Y coordinates of object on that tile.

Can you say which version of Deedplanner this is supposed to work with? I've tried with DeedPlanner 2.9.x (multiple versions) and 2.6.5 with no luck. The link in the post seems to hint at version 2.6.6, so I was hoping 2.6.5 was close enough.. With all of them this tool say the map files are out of date.

All I would like to do is generate a large empty map in Deedplanner (I don't care what version) and then paste several exported neighbor villages into the same map. The exported maps are currently loading fine.

This tool worked with the 2016/2017 file versions of DeedPlanner. As I said earlier, I did not put any effort into further updates, mainly because the tool never had more than a handful of users. 

I'm sorry, but apparently DPMapAssist does not like any of the current file formats used by DeedPlanner. 

Is there perhaps a repository for this tool? It sounds like a handy set of features, maybe the community can take over maintenance of it?