Sign in to follow this  
Jarisleif

Tutorial content, both in Golden Valley and Mainland

Three suggestions, to help new toons learn the game:

1. Add tutorial signs and triggered info-notifications to starter deeds. There is plenty of space in starter deeds, and many new players skip tutorial, or do not read it completely, or forget. I know that Book of Knowledge is accessible via the interface, but that is my next point

2. Make Book of Knowledge more easily accessible. E.g. via a button on the toolbar (instead of near-useless Sneak), or a keybind. Currently, the procedure to get to it is lengthy and unintuitive:
- O or Esc for main menu
- HUD settings
- Notifications
- Click on Book icon

3. Is there an information window that says "double-click to activate a material or tool"? Followed by "r-click an item you want to work on"? I keep seeing newbs in CA chat and spawn local who equip a pickaxe and try to attack an ore vein. I recently made a new toon, and did not see anything about it in the Golden Valley, at least not in the first 15 notifications I got, nor in any obvious places in book of knowledge. So that info either needs to be added, or needs to be shown early and more prominently.

• Like 2

Tutorial being reworked.

Hopefully there is less windowstorm. Oh gods I hate rerolling.

I personally preferred the tutorial as it was when I first came through it back in 2012. That one taught you to do things properly, had a section for mining, healing, even cutting down a tree and making a campfire (I think that last one was removed a few months after I did the tutorial). The only downside was when you made an alt, you'd need to go through that again and again. The current tutorial is way to easy to completely miss, and end up at the portal for choosing the server you want. Had the old tutorial had a way to skip it, that wasn't in such a way that you could easily miss the fact that there's a whole tutorial there, it would've been almost perfect.

• Like 2

I never did the old tutorial, but maybe if the "skip tutorial" option was big, obvious and only appeared if an email had been used already?

On 10/18/2016 at 4:14 PM, Darmalus said:

I never did the old tutorial, but maybe if the "skip tutorial" option was big, obvious and only appeared if an email had been used already?

Currently, tutorial is indeed very easy to miss - there is a huge portal, and a tiny arrow sign. It should be the other way around.

• Like 1