Sign in to follow this  
Mattown

Catapulting inconsistant

I have two suggestions regarding catapults for a "fix" I'd say because this really does seem like a bug rather than intended.

Firstly, when catapulting, the hit message you get can either be "you have seem to hit plain stone wall", or "you have seem to hit Enter House Name Here." This seems to be really random and can make catapulting certain areas just a huge pain for really no reason, I'd suggest that it's easier to tell what you're hitting (maybe based off your skill?).

Secondly, when catapulting a single tile, the walls or fences that you're hitting on the tile can also be seemingly random. What I would suggest is just making it hit everything on the tile or floor, this would make it a bit easier (or, again, have a chance to hit everything on the tile based on skill).

Also, the slope system determining your shot is really pointless in itself and reverting it to 10 winch = 10 tiles etc,  no matter what would be sick too.

• Like 2

It really should give building name and all entities damaged. (sometimes more or less info is given... seems more like a bug tbh)

iow it should be like this:

[02:41:42] You seem to have hit buildingname!

[02:41:42] You seem to have hit floor!

[02:41:42] You seem to have hit plain stone wall!

[02:41:42] You seem to have hit plain stone wall!

so +1 for that.

As for the whole directional shoot (aka not hitting everything despite hitting the tile) and winching and all that crap...

Can we just get something like the vid below instead and make sieges an enjoyable experience?

Spoiler

There has already been multiple threads about this already...

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 3

One of the largest problems with this is that you can only hit one wall and depending on the building you will get the message of you hitting the wall, or message of you hitting the building despite only hitting one wall.

Its okay though, there have only been about 15 threads on this subject made by players of all kingdoms with near unanimous support every time, and, it continues to get ignored because the catapulting code is some of the worst.

Edited by Propheteer

Just kidding.

The catapulting system has been raised for its inconsistencies, and is in the great list of things to address. How, what, and when is yet to be determined though.

I've been sourcing information from past suggestion threads about it, but I'm always happy to take on more ideas and feedback. Though apparently always taking out the bottom wall was a bad idea..

A bit of misinformation in this thread. Catapults can hit multiple walls on the same tile, if you hit a 1x1 house you can hit all 4 walls, I have used the catapult system myself (over 60 catapulting skill from raiding) And I can tell you they work fine, the issue is that it isn't descriptive enough on what you are hitting so unless you have a spotter, you are doing a lot of guess work.

5 minutes ago, TradingAlt said:

A bit of misinformation in this thread. Catapults can hit multiple walls on the same tile, if you hit a 1x1 house you can hit all 4 walls, I have used the catapult system myself (over 60 catapulting skill from raiding) And I can tell you they work fine, the issue is that it isn't descriptive enough on what you are hitting so unless you have a spotter, you are doing a lot of guess work.

It can but its inconsistent.

I was shooting a longhouse the other day, perfectly flat land between, 10 tiles.

At 10 tiles 10 winch, i hit the E wall.

At 11 tile 11 winch, i hit the W wall.

alls hots landed inside the 1 tile longhouse

I could not hit the N wall no matter what i did, unless i shot on the N-S axis.

Edited by Propheteer

yeah its because dirtwalls can block shots, because the catapult fires in an arc.

I've found that if you put the catapult on a tile border instead of directly in the center of a tile you get different results aswell

Edited by TradingAlt

1 minute ago, TradingAlt said:

yeah its because dirtwalls can block shots, because the catapult fires in an arc.

I think i shouldve clarified.

It was perfectly flat. Elevation was not different anywhere, unless it was small enough to be not noticeable, like a 2 or 3 dirt slope.

Edited by Propheteer

I don't think i've ever had an issue with "truly" flat terrain and believe me I have raided a lot of deeds :^)

2 minutes ago, TradingAlt said:

I don't think i've ever had an issue with "truly" flat terrain and believe me I have raided a lot of deeds :^)

It could very well be a bug, ive seen it happen a few times.

There are still problems with unfinished fences on houses not taking any damage too.

as unbiased to chaos raiding i can confirm shooting on 100% flat grounds can give results that make not a single ounce of sense, and then turning the catapult to snap into n/s/w/e axis which turned it 0.1 degrees can give another result that makes no sense

but there is no consistency, other examples it can work beyond flawlessly

• Like 3