Sign in to follow this  
LorraineJ

Animal husbandry annoyances

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

And than we get laggy servers, deeds packed with 1000 horses,

A deed packed with 1000 horses would cost a fortune and there's no need for it. What causes me lag is rain/snow and the damn giant statues.

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

100k cooked meat in every fsb and so on

Don't start with the contents of BSB and FSB causing lag again. (And I don't mean just YOU, I mean the old argument.) It's a number in a database. 1000 cooked meat is not going to cause any more lag than 1 cooked meat. There's not 1000 meats polygons rendering inside the image.

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

it's messing around several markets and possibly the amount of mobs on the server

My animals affect no market (I don't sign on to wurm to play Market) and actually I see more mobs by my deeds than elsewhere. If I didn't have creatures, I'd keep one tiny deed and that's it. I pitch into the game a lot more because I keep creatures.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2016 at 9:58 PM, LorraineJ said:

And again, with the RL to wurm time translation, we're talking 2.64 minutes. Animals are not romantic; also Google  --   average time sex  --  and weep.

I needed to edit this - the 2.64 minutes is how long it translates if a 20 second breeding timer is the base. If you use the 40 second timers I'm complaining about, that's 5.33 minutes of animals breeding as a human stands by them with one on a rope. 5.33 minutes.

1. Gross.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2014-03/enhanced/webdr03/29/12/anigif_enhanced-23367-1396112163-9.gif

And I keep CHAMP cats. Ridiculous.

Edited by LorraineJ

14 hours ago, Finnn said:

And than we get laggy servers, deeds packed with 1000 horses, 100k cooked meat in every fsb and so on:rolleyes:, it's messing around several markets and possibly the amount of mobs on the server, along with other things.. that could be an amazing WU mod.. but, we're playing the real thing where things usually do not go wild.. well not wilder than pillowfighting pigs with a shield:rolleyes:

Now you are just being silly, the Bins were created to avoid the lag you speak of, and the animal ratio was also created to avoid those 1000 animals farms you imagine.  So if those were your concerns, dont worry, nothing of that could possibly hapen.   Now please +1 this thread.

2 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Now you are just being silly, the Bins were created to avoid the lag you speak of, and the animal ratio was also created to avoid those 1000 animals farms you imagine.  So if those were your concerns, dont worry, nothing of that could possibly hapen.   Now please +1 this thread.

Only silly thing is your interpreration, I meant the horses moving around causing server* and loading their models and movement client lag*.. judge me for what I write not what you 'imagine'. :BTW: Don't tell me what to do.<_<

122x123 tile deed => 15k tiles / 15 tiles per animal => 1k animals to hoard, well.. I could easily imagine bigger deeds, and more horses there, could you?

My concerns are a bit wider than my own interests, messing up the game and balance on a whim is not the way to make it better or more fun, just a shortcut to boredom-highway. Most of these mechanics have worked well for so long, no? I did mention a few things.. several people mentioned a few other things.. that might give the devs a reason to do or not.. do anything to the current system, votes shouldn't affect the game that much where it's working. Don't forget that most players play this game not because you can get everything in 30minutes slacking around and having instant actions, but the reason that you CAN NOT and have to work to get where you want to be.

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Only silly thing is your interpreration, I meant the horses moving around causing server* and loading their models and movement client lag*.. judge me for what I write not what you 'imagine'. :BTW: Don't tell me what to do.<_<

122x123 tile deed => 15k tiles / 15 tiles per animal => 1k animals to hoard, well.. I could easily imagine bigger deeds, and more horses there, could you?

My concerns are a bit wider than my own interests, messing up the game and balance on a whim is not the way to make it better or more fun, just a shortcut to boredom-highway. Most of these mechanics have worked well for so long, no? I did mention a few things.. several people mentioned a few other things.. that might give the devs a reason to do or not.. do anything to the current system, votes shouldn't affect the game that much where it's working. Don't forget that most players play this game not because you can get everything in 30minutes slacking around and having instant actions, but the reason that you CAN NOT and have to work to get where you want to be.

The issue of hoarding massive ammounts of animals was fixed a long time ago, with the animal ratio on deed, and the harsh penalites for breeding off-deed, so indeed, you should not worry about this massive breeding deeds that you conjure in your imagination.

And secondly, there is nothing wrong in suggesting that the system gets an overhaul to make it less of a tedium and more interesting, cant you get behind that notion? Come on, dont be a square, join us.

2 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

The issue of hoarding massive ammounts of animals was fixed a long time ago, with the animal ratio on deed, and the harsh penalites for breeding off-deed, so indeed, you should not worry about this massive breeding deeds that you conjure in your imagination.

And secondly, there is nothing wrong in suggesting that the system gets an overhaul to make it less of a tedium and more interesting, cant you get behind that notion? Come on, dont be a square, join us.

You did not read my 'math' there, nor my reply for that matter.

...imagination blah blah.. blah.. ok

Overhauls are done on rotting things.. and AH is working.. there are a few things that could use some QoL update, but that's it.

Go sober up. Try to read other's posts before replying or pulling people.

Spoiler

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.

According to some research, the projection of one's unconscious qualities onto others is a common process in everyday life.

13 hours ago, Finnn said:

I meant the horses moving around causing server* and loading their models and movement client lag*

IDK, I use a Mac to play, and if there's one thing that Macs aren't famous for it's gaming. So if there's a source of lag, I will feel it. And I don't lag around my animals. Weather particles kill me. Those giant statues lag me. Something is wrong with the water rendering after some old update.

But why. What possible use is there, and why would you want to pay for that? AND. If someone was actually willing to pay for a deed of that size, we should all celebrate.

My concerns are a bit wider than my own interests, messing up the game and balance on a whim is not the way to make it better or more fun, just a shortcut to boredom-highway. Most of these mechanics have worked well for so long, no? ... Don't forget that most players play this game not because you can get everything in 30minutes slacking around and having instant actions, but the reason that you CAN NOT and have to work to get where you want to be.

The game IS boredom-highway. Worked well for so long? Then why do the developers have to be volunteers? This is my point. It does NOT work well. MOST people don't want to play. If the dull grind must stay, so be it, but take away all the rest of the pointless time wasting. It adds insult to injury. There is already too much time wasted. Most nights I log in I have to try like five times. I'm not the only one. If there are going to be endless glitches that waste time, and the grind is a crushing bore, at least take away the time wasters that have no use.

• Like 1

You did not read my 'math' there, nor my reply for that matter.

...imagination blah blah.. blah.. ok

Overhauls are done on rotting things.. and AH is working.. there are a few things that could use some QoL update, but that's it.

Go sober up. Try to read other's posts before replying or pulling people.

I take offense to the accusation of being intoxicated. I am just reminding you, that the problems you forsee, happened in the past, and a big patch was made to prevent that, we are safe from the monster horse factories.  The math you made, was made by the Devs. before, and they thought it was sound.

Having a better system where one is more involved in breeding, instead of standing idle is not going to somehow expand on the Deeds limit, the timers dont prevent people from having as many animals as they want, it just makes it uninteresting and pointless (no skill gains on breeding).  How can you be so adamantly oposed to releasing the game of a bit of the tedium, without affecting skill gains, or animals limits, or anything that could possibly seen as unbalancing.

Spoiler
2 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

IDK, I use a Mac to play, and if there's one thing that Macs aren't famous for it's gaming. So if there's a source of lag, I will feel it. And I don't lag around my animals. Weather particles kill me. Those giant statues lag me. Something is wrong with the water rendering after some old update.

Macs aren't cheap or lowend machines, unless really really really.. dated, so no wonder. your fps particle drops will probably be fixed around he new renderer, coalpiles are known to demolish fps and crash client for example.. even if you do not even render the graphics. A few optimizations will eventually fix these lag spikes, whoever works on the graphics, effects etc is probably working on the new renderer *shrugs*, give it time.

2 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

But why. What possible use is there, and why would you want to pay for that? AND. If someone was actually willing to pay for a deed of that size, we should all celebrate.

Because it's an MMO, and people have a variety of interests, you want instant breeding, other want to harvest meat and sell it or cook and tame with ql99 meals(I don't know, just instant action seems OP, as it is.. compared to ~any other action taking time); YOU don't sell or distribute meat that way, there are ~1000 other players online at ~any other time, any of which could do it if they wanted to if that QoL gets implemented.

Personally I DO NOT CARE, but it's possible to exploit and turn into funny little new mechanic .. to farm meat in rediculous amounts.

I am not trying to convince you into embracing my concerns, I just shared them. Why are you two trying to convince me into your beliefs(sry.. opinions)?

3 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

The game IS boredom-highway. Worked well for so long? Then why do the developers have to be volunteers? This is my point. It does NOT work well. MOST people don't want to play. If the dull grind must stay, so be it, but take away all the rest of the pointless time wasting. It adds insult to injury. There is already too much time wasted. Most nights I log in I have to try like five times. I'm not the only one. If there are going to be endless glitches that waste time, and the grind is a crushing bore, at least take away the time wasters that have no use.

YOUR words, I used for when all these "QoL" changes get added to the game, than you'll be able to breed animals - instantly, no cooldowns, no need to care about anything, go there - click-click - done, move on; completely ignore the rng etc.. that everyone else deals with, as annoying rng could be .. there's that rage or fun time.. when you fail.. and you feared it happening, that will just make you do this an hour later(which is funny.. even if you just dont have enough time that day to try again); you just can't always win, learn to lose, it's a good thing imo... if that 1hour should be lowered... that's another thing... but successful  and failing for actions in wurm are normal, you have high high AH and fail? how come a priest with 80 channeling casts a 0 power spells, how come some things take hours to be made? We've all learned to put some time of our own into things made here.

Not all devs are volunteers, or could be, idk - i dont care.. not like I can, or have to do anything about that, right? I am nobody, just a player

Injury is fine, it got really hammered by 1 not so recent patch... but in general.. grab a ql80-90 weapon with 80-90 casts and go poke trolls ask them for some clubs, most will fall for it. Same for armor 80ql/+ usually does just great, most of the time.. you wont even have to know how a healing cover looks like.. just bring some cotton to bandage with.

'time wasted' about that... it's a game, you play it when you have time to stress out.. of things, not to pile up more, if some mechanic is annoying, there are ~1-200 skills to choose from and try something new, or the community to ask for tips and try something new, even if it's the same thing, but in other ways... that make it less tedious - more fun or... at least less tedious:rolleyes:(same mechanic.. but it could work with less nerve pulling; remember remember the pillowfighting shield warriors AAaarrr!!)

3 hours ago, Rathgar said:

I take offense to the accusation of being intoxicated. I am just reminding you, that the problems you forsee, happened in the past, and a big patch was made to prevent that, we are safe from the monster horse factories.  The math you made, was made by the Devs. before, and they thought it was sound.

Having a better system where one is more involved in breeding, instead of standing idle is not going to somehow expand on the Deeds limit, the timers dont prevent people from having as many animals as they want, it just makes it uninteresting and pointless (no skill gains on breeding).  How can you be so adamantly oposed to releasing the game of a bit of the tedium, without affecting skill gains, or animals limits, or anything that could possibly seen as unbalancing.

Somebody... with numbers... do correct me if I'm wrong.. but .. there's tiny skill ticks for breeding animals, go try it on some alt, you should get a tiny bit of skill, super trolly little tick.. compared to grooming ticks.. but if you give the same amount of skill for breeding.. you'll just give any horse farmer 100 skill in a few months, without any work done toward skilling up.. just chasing the main-side objective.. to produce horses and meat/hide/parts.(Whoever have a big farm could spawm grooming with enchanted brush, and sleep bonus.. at low stamina .. and power level their skill any day, any time.. this is OK as it is imo, skill is easy to get for whoever wants to grind it)

Intoxication.. my bad, sry, you just seemed to have ignored my math, calling me a 'square' and pulling me to your crowd.

changes, changes.. not all suggestions fly over the wall on week one.. all these requests for QoL could be added in another week or 2-3.. depends if devs decide it's time for something like that.. and if there's time to implement such changes around all the whatever other work they have. Again.. I don't care, I have no power over that.. I had 1 power.. to voice my opinion and I used it, which got me pulled in all this fighting<_<, how and why I could think otherwise and comment, it's forums, and people vote or share their opinions, it's the suggestion section, right?

do or don't reveal the post above:ph34r:

So Finnn, the problem you have against gaining skill and the action being faster are, The MEALS MARKET, and people gaining skill from naturally working the farm, INSTEAD OF GRINDING. (really fun bit about every breeder getting 100 skill in a couple of months)  Why you feel that grinding should be the only way to gain a skill is beyond me.

I cant even ! ! I really cant.

PS: there arent 1000 CHARACTERS online at any given time, let alone players, Hell, there arent even 500 characters on in the whole game right now, so you may h ave to rething the importance of the market over the QoL in the game.

• Like 1