Sign in to follow this  
LorraineJ

Animal husbandry annoyances

Cooldowns after a male animal mating are supposed to be about 45 minutes. Which in itself to me seems excessive - I don't see a reason for it other than to waste my time. I mean what is the harm in just letting me get finished with what I was planning to do? Ultimately I'm not going to mate more animals than I originally planned to mate. I just have this extra layer of annoyance put over top, multiplying the built-in tedium of Wurm. I can't keep MORE animals because of being able to mate fast - the cap is in the ratio of the deed. But the truth is, I don't think I've ever seen this cooldown only be 45 minutes. I have a crab right now going past a full day of cooldown. This is constant, the overblown cooldowns. The female cooldowns are also very long, longer than advertised.

Another thing that is just insulting are 40-second mating times. What is supposed to be fun about standing there for 40 seconds waiting for a task to be done? I understand people love the long, drawn-out grind times, but to just stand there waiting 40 seconds for animals to mate, or however many seconds for a stump to get bashed, or half an hour for a fish to almost be caught - can't the time wasting on tasks that are not grind-related be removed? Maybe then the impression of tedious overwhelming boredom in this game might be lessened.

I also find the long pregnancy times senseless. Animals don't suddenly take twice as long to give birth as their same species.

Seasons not keeping to the seasons timer, animals taking twice as long to give birth as ones mated before them, and other random timer issues - how does that increase enjoyment of the game?

• Like 2

Relax, go have a coffee.

I don't see any suggestions beyond "make everything instant" here, so -1

If I want to have a coffee, I'll be busy having a coffee. When I open up a game to have some amusement, then I'm in the game to have a good time. The idea of having a game where most of the people who play it have it open on the side while they do something else... well that's why the game has fewer and fewer players.

I didn't say make "everything" instant. I understand that people take some kind of feeling of achievement because they spent so much time watching timers go by. Or rather they had the game open while they were watching Netflix for so many many hours. So keep the grindy timers endlessly long. The REST of the game doesn't have to be a crushing bore.

I just had a timer on a deed that I pay for, to fix braziers, be over a minute long. Why. Why are the braziers taking decay when I'm paying for this deed? How does forcing me to have to wait for a minute and a half timer go by enhance any kind of satisfaction I might have with this game? I put the braziers there because I wanted them there. I pay for the deed. Now I just had three minutes of my life sucked away to fix phony "decay" on decorations I had where I wanted them, where I pay to have them. Why is that considered amusing?

Edited by LorraineJ
  • Like 3

Isn't Animal breeding easy enough as it is.  People just have way too many horses in general.  I'd be more obliged to increasing the time from a cool down on the "stud" horses.  It's honestly just way too easy to breed at the moment and I wish there was more involved with it. -1 as well

• Like 1

I hear ya.... I think wurm is the game i played the longest when it comes to a period of time. Almost one year of my life, BUT did I actually play the game that long? Not really, cause most if the time i am watching movies, listening to audiobooks or do something else. Sometimes it feels like waiting for a bus to arrive, sitting in the doctors waiting room and so on. The other day i had to repair all my ships, it took be almost 45 minutes to repair all ships.. 45 minutes ###### minutes. Yeah, i could do it daily...but that would result in the same amount of wasting time. Just shorter per day... 

• Like 2

People have so many horses because of the stupid trait system. If there were no traits at all people wouldn't need 40 plus horses to get the good stuff. WOA is what makes horses fast, not the dumb traits actually. I can get a wild horse to run quite fast on high end gear.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, LorraineJ said:

Cooldowns after a male animal mating are supposed to be about 45 minutes. Which in itself to me seems excessive - I don't see a reason for it other than to waste my time. I mean what is the harm in just letting me get finished with what I was planning to do? Ultimately I'm not going to mate more animals than I originally planned to mate. I just have this extra layer of annoyance put over top, multiplying the built-in tedium of Wurm. I can't keep MORE animals because of being able to mate fast - the cap is in the ratio of the deed. But the truth is, I don't think I've ever seen this cooldown only be 45 minutes. I have a crab right now going past a full day of cooldown. This is constant, the overblown cooldowns. The female cooldowns are also very long, longer than advertised.

Another thing that is just insulting are 40-second mating times. What is supposed to be fun about standing there for 40 seconds waiting for a task to be done? I understand people love the long, drawn-out grind times, but to just stand there waiting 40 seconds for animals to mate, or however many seconds for a stump to get bashed, or half an hour for a fish to almost be caught - can't the time wasting on tasks that are not grind-related be removed? Maybe then the impression of tedious overwhelming boredom in this game might be lessened.

I also find the long pregnancy times senseless. Animals don't suddenly take twice as long to give birth as their same species.

Seasons not keeping to the seasons timer, animals taking twice as long to give birth as ones mated before them, and other random timer issues - how does that increase enjoyment of the game?

It's somewhat realistic.. there's some cooldown, afaik it's 1hour... could be 45min(whatever);

"I mean what is the harm in just letting me get finished with what I was planning to do?"

You could be working on some order to 'print' 20-30-50-100 cow-horses or pure-blacks.. or w/e... w/o any cooldown you could do it.. in shorter time(1-2-3 IRL days.. in wurm time that's nothing).

"I can't keep MORE animals because of being able to mate fast - the cap is in the ratio of the deed. But the truth is, I don't think I've ever seen this cooldown only be 45 minutes."

Some players used to breed cow/bulls/bisons/horses/etc... and sell the 1-2-300+ heads for slaughter and the butchering/etc... for a price.

burying domestic have now higher chances for inspirations 

"I have a crab right now going past a full day of cooldown. This is constant, the overblown cooldowns. The female cooldowns are also very long, longer than advertised."

AFAIK it's 1hour for both or just the male(I could be in need to RTFM.. but let's leave my education out of this for now)

"Another thing that is just insulting are 40-second mating times. What is supposed to be fun about standing there for 40 seconds waiting for a task to be done?"

Welcome to WURM, actions take time. be-more-social-in-global-for-40-sec #tryIt

"I also find the long pregnancy times senseless. Animals don't suddenly take twice as long to give birth as their same species."

Logic vs Wogic; +1 here, you have a point, altho.. irl things do not always take the same amount of time either .. I guess

"Seasons not keeping to the seasons timer, animals taking twice as long to give birth as ones mated before them, and other random timer issues - how does that increase enjoyment of the game?"

You must be on.. xanadu? so much lag? IDK what you're talking about, there's that rng.. for the week to 11 days pregnancy and some +/- time for harvesting the trees(just some more rng, many of the game mechanics use that)

-1 I guess, I read only complaining about things, not a single 'suggestion'

-1   Just becouse you complain about 40seconds mating time.. i mean.. come on!!! Let them have fun..don't you like as long as possible?? :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samusen said:

Isn't Animal breeding easy enough as it is.  People just have way too many horses in general.  I'd be more obliged to increasing the time from a cool down on the "stud" horses.  It's honestly just way too easy to breed at the moment and I wish there was more involved with it. -1 as well

I think that's the point. There's nothing involved with standing around for forty seconds. All of the timers are just time wasted, there's no entertainment or actual mental or dexterous skill involved. So if there's no gain to the person getting their time wasted, eliminate it.

I can tell you don't breed a lot because of your comments about the ease. If nothing else, think of the expense.

1 hour ago, Jonydowy said:

-1   Just becouse you complain about 40seconds mating time.. i mean.. come on!!! Let them have fun..don't you like as long as possible?? :D

lol then let me get them started and I can walk off and leave them to their business without me hovering over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's somewhat realistic.. there's some cooldown, afaik it's 1hour... could be 45min(whatever);

It's not consistently only an hour or 45 minutes. And if you think 45 minutes cooldown is realistic... Let's pretend I'm breeding younger animals. In a more romantic part of the world.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"I mean what is the harm in just letting me get finished with what I was planning to do?"

You could be working on some order to 'print' 20-30-50-100 cow-horses or pure-blacks.. or w/e... w/o any cooldown you could do it.. in shorter time(1-2-3 IRL days.. in wurm time that's nothing).

I don't know when you've seen these humongous herds, but a deed big enough for that many horses would be VERY expensive and there's no way to recoup the charges. I breed horses but I've never sold any. It's not worth it to me. I have to pay for big deeds to keep the ratio down. Then good 5-speed plus 2-3 good traits are barely sold for one silver, and people want delivery. So I'm going to pay on a big deed to breed horses, spend an hour and a half to two hours negotiating and finding someone to bring them a horse to make under a dollar? No one needs to "print" horses. What the hell are they going to do with them? If I could be like Noah's Ark and have a pair of each creature, all jammed on a mini deed, and they wouldn't die and/or they could breed little replicas of themselves, I'd be perfectly content. It took me months of trying to get a jet black horse. Now I have a small bunch, all related, and therefore will give off bad traits. It wasn't quick, easy, or free to get to the point where I had them. What I'm saying is don't add insult to injury by making me wait around for forty seconds to breed them. I'm still going to breed the same amount of creatures. I just won't spend the 40 seconds breeding time thinking of the best way to get out of the game, who to give deeds to, whether or not to sell special gear, etc.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"Another thing that is just insulting are 40-second mating times. What is supposed to be fun about standing there for 40 seconds waiting for a task to be done?"

Welcome to WURM, actions take time. be-more-social-in-global-for-40-sec #tryIt

I socialize when  feel like it. People probably wish I'd shut up after a while.

I don't want long timers on actions that don't give me skill, and don't harm the game if I can go fast. And maybe a few people do, but that's why we have a few people playing this game.

6 hours ago, Samusen said:

Isn't Animal breeding easy enough as it is. 

Can you tell me what's so easy about it? It's not one of those skills you can grind up while watching tv. You need a quantity of animals around that can only be combed once an hour. You have to reduce your stamina by half if you want to get any gain, so you're snail-walking after animals that run away from you while you're combing. You can do about three animals before you have to release the stamina, let it get back to full, and cut it back to half again, then snail-walk over to your next animals. There are fails too, where you wait all that time and the animal shys away. You can't queue up any actions - you only act on one animal at a time, then need to walk to the next one. When you breed, you don't know for a week or so if what you bred is any good. I'm not even bringing up what it's like to breed animals that need to be fed. You have to feed every other day; maybe you can stretch to three days at times but it often doesn't go well. The wilds that need to be tamed before bred are even worse. There's nothing so wurm-like than taming a tortoise to breed after half dying and then it's "not in the mood" for no reason at all. You need to maintain large deeds to keep the ratio ok. So what's so easy about this compared to queuing up a load of actions, watching tv, and poking a key a bunch of times again after some time passes by? It's certainly not cheaper.

• Like 1

Logical:

• cooldown for mating (males)
  • cooldown after birthing (females)
  • varying mating durations per incident

Not:

• cooldown for mating (females)
  • varying gestation times per species

Also, spending time fishing without landing a catch is reasonable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hoof2000 said:

WOA is what makes horses fast, not the dumb traits actually.

WOA is what makes horses fast

7 hours ago, hoof2000 said:

People have so many horses because of the stupid trait system. If there were no traits at all people wouldn't need 40 plus horses to get the good stuff. WOA is what makes horses fast, not the dumb traits actually. I can get a wild horse to run quite fast on high end gear.

5 speed horse with WoA gear is still much faster then a wild horse with the same gear.......

• Like 3

I fish with quarter mile nets and strings of pots many miles long.

Sometimes the entire string comes up empty. Sometimes you load the boat.

Fishing is called fishing for a reason, otherwise it would just be catching. Enjoy it.

Breeding/ah is fine. Like you've said, it isn't financially viable, so don't bother. I breed mine soley for herd perpetuity and the pacing is fine for that. I do not want a full time job of managing my cattle. It is already weird that i stand there watching as they get 'intimate'

Rather than altered timers I would love to have fishing boats. Brb suggestion time.

10 hours ago, Cornchips said:

WOA is what makes horses fast

and yet.. people buy 5traits for "no reason":lol:(sarcasm, not irony)

• Like 1

+1 There are many restrictions to breeding that are stacked one over the other for no reason.  Theres the deed ratio and off-deed penalties on one side, thats okay.  But why hit regular domestic breeders with also long timers, long cooldowns, etc.

+1 to not having to be standing there while mating, just have domestic animals work like chickens and roosters do, the mechanics are already in game... get a male and a female in a pen, and you know.. let things happen.

On 10/16/2016 at 6:17 PM, Meldichoir said:

Also, spending time fishing without landing a catch is reasonable.

I know from RL fishing. There's entertainment to it. Pressing a button and waiting two minutes is ridiculous. Did you ever try a fishing game? There's some for phones. Years ago my little nephews asked me to play that Disney Pirates of the Caribbean game. Disney introduced fishing to it. It was actually entertaining to fish. There were different lines or baits to choose from, and once you cast, you'd get an underwater view and see schools of fish. You had to drag your baited hook in front of the fish you wanted to get. Then you had to jerk the line to hook them. There was a kind of technique to the fishing. You could see the line getting too tight, so you had to give them some play until they got tired, depending on the size, or the line would snap. They'd steal your bait if you hovered wrong. There was something to DO. Rather than wait for a countdown timer.

Oh and I forgot regarding the grind of AH - in other grinds, for the most part you have a chance to make a rare (or better) and have a nice item to use or sell. You can keep it for your whole Wurm career. Animals don't go rare and they drop dead on you.

For someone that doesn't like long boring things you sure are grinding AH the hard way, try shearing and hey you get rares too...

• Like 1

On ‎16‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 6:20 PM, LorraineJ said:

If I want to have a coffee, I'll be busy having a coffee. When I open up a game to have some amusement, then I'm in the game to have a good time. The idea of having a game where most of the people who play it have it open on the side while they do something else... well that's why the game has fewer and fewer players.

I didn't say make "everything" instant. I understand that people take some kind of feeling of achievement because they spent so much time watching timers go by. Or rather they had the game open while they were watching Netflix for so many many hours. So keep the grindy timers endlessly long. The REST of the game doesn't have to be a crushing bore.

I just had a timer on a deed that I pay for, to fix braziers, be over a minute long. Why. Why are the braziers taking decay when I'm paying for this deed? How does forcing me to have to wait for a minute and a half timer go by enhance any kind of satisfaction I might have with this game? I put the braziers there because I wanted them there. I pay for the deed. Now I just had three minutes of my life sucked away to fix phony "decay" on decorations I had where I wanted them, where I pay to have them. Why is that considered amusing?

Heh, why don't you focus on the parts, which you enjoy in the game? It is quite obvious, that AH isn't one of the things you enjoy in the game. Yet you keep banging your head against the wall and keep crying, that it hurts. It is your own choice, if you do have a good time or not.

And if the whole game has stopped offering good time, then it simply is time for a break or move on, as harsh it sounds.

Yet teleporting at server borders was supported.

I'll never fully understand the Keepers of the Twelve Doctrines of Wurm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rixk said:

Heh, why don't you focus on the parts, which you enjoy in the game? It is quite obvious, that AH isn't one of the things you enjoy in the game. Yet you keep banging your head against the wall and keep crying, that it hurts. It is your own choice, if you do have a good time or not.

And if the whole game has stopped offering good time, then it simply is time for a break or move on, as harsh it sounds.

Someone brings an issue about a part of the game being needlessly tedious, and your answer is "go away", well done.

16 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

Someone brings an issue about a part of the game being needlessly tedious, and your answer is "go away", well done.

40 seconds mating timer... roughly once during week per female is needlessly tedious? Come on..

And for the record, I suggested her to find a less tedious activity, something which gives her positive emotions, instead of frustration, which AH obviously does give her.

But yeah, if there isn't any activity in game, which can entertain her.. it is time to move on(in many cases it is simply caused by burnout).. Or what would you suggest? Let devs redesign whole game, just so burned out person would feel enjoyment again(nothing personal here)?