Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

To people of Exodus

On 10/22/2016 at 7:44 PM, Kianga said:

I refuse to make a bio-farm because of bad coding - and the idea about keeping something of a harbour there was not on my account but for others, I have my ships elsewhere. Anyhow, Zigozag will keep it in mind so great. :)

Explain? I like to kill bugs and all.

Also belated welcome to the server and area. My deed is a bit east of that, on the opposite side of Olive Lake. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keenan said:

Explain? I like to kill bugs and all.

Also belated welcome to the server and area. My deed is a bit east of that, on the opposite side of Olive Lake. :)

Seems to think that if there are people in local animals will bunch up in the corner of large pens, and she does not want to fence them into individual pens to avoid the problem.

• Like 1

Well, behaviour of penned (and wild) mobs is definitely obviously broken (even if by design).

Pretty sure it's less to do with people in local and more to do with needing better pathing AI. Something we know about and is on our list. You can see some of it in this experiment I did a while back with WU. I'm fairly certain that line of corpses is the border between 'zones' - which is our way of organizing maps into smaller pieces for polling.

b443b4442f7840b7b2d656584a02ab00.png

• Like 2

Doesn't explain much without knowing the details behind, such as did they line up while fighting or you just spawned them and killed?

@Keenan, while you're here and this topic is horribly derailed now, what about tile polling and broken Xanadu farming? Does the algorithm have issues with scaling on bigger servers? What made it go nuts righht with 1.3 patch? Any hope to get it fixed asap?

Edited by zigozag

On 12/21/2016 at 7:25 PM, zigozag said:

Doesn't explain much without knowing the details behind, such as did they line up while fighting or you just spawned them and killed?

@Keenan, while you're here and this topic is horribly derailed now, what about tile polling and broken Xanadu farming? Does the algorithm have issues with scaling on bigger servers? What made it go nuts righht with 1.3 patch? Any hope to get it fixed asap?

Issues like that should be reported (I believe it is already) and handled through the appropriate channels. I don't have any comments on it at the moment.

As for the picture, I spawned them all in the village. I spawned 3 waves of over 1,000 guards - one for each kingdom. The line you see actually forms a square. After leaving them to their own devices for a while, they ended up pathing in a box-like formation, occasionally attacking each other. I wanted to capture the pathing so I turned the entire area to lava, which killed them pretty much where they stood - then turned it back. The guard bodies in the foreground were from the initial spawn and battle that ensued. The bottles on the outer edges were pathing afterward.

• Like 2

Have you tried spawning some non-aggroes (especially cows-sheep-deer-bison as they react almost instantly, horses take longer although they do the same in the end) in a quiet (no players (FAR!) around) large fenced area - and then see if you can 'herd' them to a certain place of your choice? You pretty well can, you know - because they react to your presence and walk the other way (with some quirks and corners, they don't all turn around on their heels to go in a straight line back from you - but they do take a corner away from you) and by some manouvering on your side 'catching' the ones diverging more to the side by going to stand a bit ahead of them to the side you do NOT want to see them go (you can actually pretend to be something of a cowboy on your horse), and with some patience you *will* get the whole group into the very corner you chose to get them. And then do the same the other way around of course, to show yourself they weren't by coincidence all going in that one direction anyway... herd them back to the opposite corner.

Maybe then you can see what I mean with 'any player in local, being 80 tiles around, drives them off' (please please please set this to 10-15 tiles at most, that will take a load of trouble away allready) - and I will and must then gladly leave it to you to discern what the coding behind this is that is causing it, no knowledge there - but I do know I see what I see (and btw the choice, not coding in the first place there but choice, to make animals that are branded, cared for and on deed, NOT run away - that mechanism doesn't work at all, those merilly run along with all the others to wherever they are fleeing). Pretty poor choice in itself even if it worked though, we all know we need more animals then we can care for, especially with the new cooking-update - cows to milk, hens to lay eggs, sheep to milk and for wool, etc - the 'cared for' tag should be taken off from that choice imo, just don't make animals flee that are on deed and branded... but thats a different matter of couse, that's 'choice' (though not working, so something must be wrong with the code there also I guess).

The mechanism of any player within 80 tiles chasing animals away (not only unworkable for a game, but really not realistic either, you don't chase away a deer when you are still 3 mountainranges and 2 valleys away from it after all...) is number one of the headaches in my view though - and not even moneyhungry devs (which you aren't as far as I can see) should expect players to deed a 200x200 lap just to have a 40x40 area in it's middle that could actually show 'natural movement'.  That would be insane.

Hope you try this scenario out, happy cowboying! ;) (Edit: and a heartfelt 'Thank you!' if you would actually dive into this, sure it's AI-pathing too - but the fleeingmechanism really needs to be on the table also.)

Edited by Kianga