Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Player Stories and History

I'm sure that they can pick a player or settlement name or perhaps a new title such as player lore that is in the same category  That way they can still be in the wiki and searchable and not lost simply because a new player has no clue who any of those people are.

Or it could be posted in the forums under it's own story title?

I am sorry, but I still don't get it. Many player stories were deleted from Wurmpedia - I don't really understand why. I mean, they were already labelled "Player Stories", so how could someone mistake them for de-facto information about game mechanics? It is sad... :(

5 minutes ago, Yaga said:

I am sorry, but I still don't get it. Many player stories were deleted from Wurmpedia - I don't really understand why. I mean, they were already labelled "Player Stories", so how could someone mistake them for de-facto information about game mechanics? It is sad... :(

Some player content stuff definitely was not clearly marked, I can say that much. I can recall at least one "artifact" article for an item that didn't even exist yet.

Wurmpedia policies, including the scope of the wiki, have gotten more well-defined recently, and that's a good thing. Reasons have been given for not including player stories or similar content in the primary namespace. I definitely agree the stuff belongs somewhere, and isn't necessarily unimportant, but is there a reason the forums can't be used for this, or a separate wiki namespace?

Maybe there ought to be a separate namespace for this sort of thing outside of Players and Settlements? Maybe user namespace pages could be used? I'm trying to think of what would be most appropriate.

Edited by Ostentatio

I guess the way I look at it is that we have, for example, Toolbelt section on the forums for the creation of all sorts of programs and faq's for those programs for those creators to maintain and update as they deem fit. That being said, I don't see Wurmpedia hosting a page purely for WurmAssistant, Deedplanner, WurmClock, etc. While we have a Toolkits page that serves as an index for some of these programs, very little information is given about them nor does the Wiki staff attempt to maintain information about them.

If I apply this to player created content, then the situation to me becomes identical. We have a Scribe's Corner section on the forums for all sorts of written material for the stories and those authors can maintain and update the stories as they deem fit without need for a wiki account. A page that indexes stories might be beneficial.

We have had issues with the forums though.  Items that get archived on the forums even without problems are very difficult to locate.  To me, that is almost the same as deleting.   I am not sure which artifact you think wasn't in the game.

As I said before, those items could be placed into a new set that are treated the same as players/settlements.  Just call it player lore.  Then it would be there for anyone to locate at a later date.  This is a problem because?

Just to toss in support for what Seedlings is doing, this has been coming for quite a while and you were all warned.

You have a village and a player page in the appropriate namespace. Feel free to story-tell there. The main namespace is not for your stories.

This has been a problem we've struggled with for quite a long time - both with stories and "guides". New players see the wiki as a reference manual and these stories and guides may confuse players, both intentionally and unintentionally.

Guides - Go on the forums.

Stories - Your own pages in your namespace, or use one of the many other providers out there for hosting such content.

There's no further discussion to be had on this matter. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 11:28 PM, sEeDliNgS said:

I understand that some are concerned about said stories, and will see if there is a better way that we may be able to include them into the wiki. However, they are still perfectly fine on the Wurm forums, or on the wiki under Player and Settlement namespaces. They will no longer be a part of the Wurmpedia main namespace.

This will solve many of your comments. This is the first message I said in this thread, please read things thoroughly before rambling on with your unnecessary insults. I heard your complaints and concerns before your insults, as you can clearly see in this post.

22 hours ago, Kadore said:

I see from the Wiki members listed here of a join date no more recent than 2014, so many good friends have come and gone, if you feel preserving history is not inline with Wurm's current plan, take the time to not completely erase things you cannot recover.

While the current plan is to update the description of Wurm mechanics etc. etc., how difficult is it to copy all you deem unnecessary to the Wiki, paste it somewhere and add a link so those of us who do care can still access it?

While your vision does not include preserving Wurms history, the Wiki predates any and all plans you may currently have, and is pretty damn important to enough people for you to tread lightly disturbing things that existed prior to your new found desire to streamline Wurm Online.

Kadore, I have stated (As Ayluin and Ostentatio have also said) that the information will at the least be available for you to copy before they are deleted. Currently, I have not been removing pages as I will be working on a way to include them in the wiki a better way (again, this is stated at the top of this post, a quote from what I said in this very thread. Please refer to quote at the top of this post!)

Pull yourselves together!! 

History is not being "removed". It is being taken down from the Wiki main namespace.

Whether or not a new namespace for these will be created is not yet determined.

Info posted on the wiki is tested before posting to ensure validity. If you have any questions about how the wiki is edited, you can read the guidelines here: 

Edited by sEeDliNgS

Any guide is nothing more than a players opinion on the best way to do it.  Anything really that isn't a direct item examine or a item creation recipe is nothing more than an opinion.  Testing is great but it really all depends on too many variables.  Noone will do the amount of testing that would be required to say for certain anything.  So yes they are all nothing more than opinions.

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

Just to toss in support for what Seedlings is doing, this has been coming for quite a while and you were all warned.

You have a village and a player page in the appropriate namespace. Feel free to story-tell there. The main namespace is not for your stories.

This has been a problem we've struggled with for quite a long time - both with stories and "guides". New players see the wiki as a reference manual and these stories and guides may confuse players, both intentionally and unintentionally.

Guides - Go on the forums.

Stories - Your own pages in your namespace, or use one of the many other providers out there for hosting such content.

There's no further discussion to be had on this matter. Thanks!

Given the current climate this is the expected response, thanks for the clarity, 

13 hours ago, Pashka said:

Any guide is nothing more than a players opinion on the best way to do it.  Anything really that isn't a direct item examine or a item creation recipe is nothing more than an opinion.  Testing is great but it really all depends on too many variables.  Noone will do the amount of testing that would be required to say for certain anything.  So yes they are all nothing more than opinions.

There's loads of information on the game that has been experimentally verified by players and directly stated or confirmed by Code Club representatives. If you have a problem with any particular piece of information in the wiki that you feel isn't adequately supported by available evidence, feel free to make a thread here or contact someone with permission to edit the wiki.

• Like 1

Everyone has said what has needed to be said. This thread is done now to prevent further trolling and unnecessary comments.