Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Player Stories and History

So not keeping old player stories and what little history (timeline and William Benth (spelling?)) the devs premade in wiki anymore?

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Category:Backstory

Is to remain, though we will probably be condensing a lot of these pages into a more comprehensive page (still discussing)

Player stories were discussed and determined to not be wiki content. Not necessarily factual, providing static information, contained a lot of opinions and were therefore removed. We think the forum's The Scribes Corner is best for that area.

We are looking into other categories that don't fit as well. Player guides, tutotrials that are outdated and not-maintained that will probably be deleted. 

These are still part of the history of wurm.  I understand that many do not know this history and it does contain information from that person's point of view.  I was told though that many of these pages didn't cause any problems with the wiki so why would you remove history?  The player pages, the history, the backstories.  These are all things that went into making the game that you are not throwing in the trash.

Going by what you just put.  Static information.  The only thing that should be left in the wiki would be crafting recipes.  Everything else changes from time to time based on which direction the devs are moving.

Leave the pages in please.  These do not hurt anyone.

Edited by Pashka

I wish the guides could stay. If they are indeed outdated maybe a comment could be in there saying that they need update.

I never really understood why player histories were in there. Is there a way to make a separate wiki for them?

The Wurmpedia is to be a factual reference for players, especially new players, to use to guide them while playing and learning the game. As such, individual player stories and histories are not to be a part of said reference in order to avoid any confusion that may come from them, as they can appear official and factual when they are actually more perspective and opinion based.

I understand that some are concerned about said stories, and will see if there is a better way that we may be able to include them into the wiki. However, they are still perfectly fine on the Wurm forums, or on the wiki under Player and Settlement namespaces. They will no longer be a part of the Wurmpedia main namespace.

10 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

I wish the guides could stay. If they are indeed outdated maybe a comment could be in there saying that they need update.

Guides will stay - they are going to be getting an overhaul so they can be up-to-date and such.

• Like 1

Leaving them on the wiki with the players and settlements will work.  That way they will still be able to be found.

Aye afaik it was Notch, who also did the Wilem Benth one as well iirc; though, that seemed to get caught in the general cleanup.

Really just a barebones timeline.

Just checking really. Personally I'm fine with the fan fiction being on forums; though, didn't really have that option in the past. Let alone archive issues.

Edited by Klaa

With the problems we have had with the forums, it is almost a guarantee that they will be lost if moved off the wiki.

5 hours ago, Pashka said:

With the problems we have had with the forums, it is almost a guarantee that they will be lost if moved off the wiki.

For anyone who wants the stories that were already removed from the wiki, send me a message with a link to the removed page and I will go in and paste what was on that page for you.

For the future, I will list pages that are up for deletion in advance so that anyone who wants them preserved may go in and get the page contents beforehand. This way any history that you want preserved can have that chance.

Way this game is going and the way the wiki is being managed.  Just delete the history.  It can go the same way the game is.

7 minutes ago, Pashka said:

Way this game is going and the way the wiki is being managed.  Just delete the history.  It can go the same way the game is.

Do you have a problem with Seedling's proposal to keep these pages in the user and settlement namespaces? That seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise to me.

That was a good spot to put them.  That isn't what they said they were gonna do.  They are going to continue deleting.

32 minutes ago, Pashka said:

That was a good spot to put them.  That isn't what they said they were gonna do.  They are going to continue deleting.

Seedlings mentioned in this thread that the user and settlement namespaces on Wurmpedia are a fine place for them; I'm not sure where you're hearing otherwise.

For anyone who wants the stories that were already removed from the wiki, send me a message with a link to the removed page and I will go in and paste what was on that page for you.

For the future, I will list pages that are up for deletion in advance so that anyone who wants them preserved may go in and get the page contents beforehand. This way any history that you want preserved can have that chance.

Just scroll up to his last post.  But i have pasted it here for you.

Yes, so whoever wants to preserve it can move it to the appropriate namespace if necessary, or off the wiki. You'll still be able to preserve those articles.

I see from the Wiki members listed here of a join date no more recent than 2014, so many good friends have come and gone, if you feel preserving history is not inline with Wurm's current plan, take the time to not completely erase things you cannot recover.

While the current plan is to update the description of Wurm mechanics etc. etc., how difficult is it to copy all you deem unnecessary to the Wiki, paste it somewhere and add a link so those of us who do care can still access it?

While your vision does not include preserving Wurms history, the Wiki predates any and all plans you may currently have, and is pretty damn important to enough people for you to tread lightly disturbing things that existed prior to your new found desire to streamline Wurm Online.

I must admit I am worried about this step. Game immersion always needs lore - and aren't we losing a large bit of Wurm lore now? (I for one always liked the old stories and legends!)

• Like 2

Old stories and legends are part of player immersion and that's why they are considered player stories rather than official lore. The official lore namespace "Backstory" still remains intact. All Wurm players can get a user account pretty easily by applying for it and being added to the wiki to create whatever stories they so desire under player: and settlement: pages. The goal is not to remove content or deem things "unnecessary" or to disrespect members who have written very entertaining and well-written stories, but is to simply take an approach to the Wiki to provide factual information to the players of Wurm Online. We have a dedicated sub-forum on the forums for all the content, entertaining or not, a player wishes to write that would undoubtedly receive far more exposure than player: settlement: or playerstories: namespaces on the wiki. 

Deleted content is retrievable, all it takes is a PM to Seedlings.

It's been stated here:

I understand that some are concerned about said stories, and will see if there is a better way that we may be able to include them into the wiki. However, they are still perfectly fine on the Wurm forums, or on the wiki under Player and Settlement namespaces. They will no longer be a part of the Wurmpedia main namespace.

The deleted items should be put back.  If they need to be put under player or settlement that is fine.  There is no reason in the world for them to be deleted.  It has been stated by many that it will not affect anything for all of those pages to be there.  What is so difficult to understand about this?  Why is it so hard to say.  Yes we can see that this is important.  We will put these items here so that everyone can still find them and read them.

Stop Deleting!

1 hour ago, Pashka said:

The deleted items should be put back.  If they need to be put under player or settlement that is fine.  There is no reason in the world for them to be deleted.  It has been stated by many that it will not affect anything for all of those pages to be there.  What is so difficult to understand about this?  Why is it so hard to say.  Yes we can see that this is important.  We will put these items here so that everyone can still find them and read them.

Stop Deleting!

Please read the staff posts in this thread. They will be notifying us prior to deletions in the future, and if you want to preserve an article that has already been deleted, send Seedlings a PM about it. They have no problem with the information still existing, albeit in the appropriate namespace or subforum.

• Like 1

I did read it.  Perhaps your comprehension is still lacking though.

Stop deleting and move the posts to the players/settlement area.  Then there is no reason for this thread.

The question in that case would be where to put them. If there's no specific player or settlement page to put a given story, where does it go? In principle I agree with moving stuff somewhere it can be retrieved, at least temporarily, but there's still the question of where exactly.