Sign in to follow this  
Tristanc

Rock Paper Shotgun Ridealong with Wossoo article

3 hours ago, Pinchaloaf said:

I've got no more love to lose for this game, however, this article does not paint a pretty picture of health for Wurm. I'm not sure the author was looking for someone to highlight Wurm in any positive manner. Instead, the article looks like a hit piece, with an unsuspecting boob at the butt end of the joke.

In all my experience dealing with Wossoo, I've never found him to be one who could be considered to have even a rudimentary command of the mechanics nor the politics behind the game. His delusions of a long struggle to start a kingdom of his own made me laugh all the way through this entire article. He was a GM that started the first thread to make a PMK in Epic...that about sums it up. Within the first 24 hours of planting the deed and making the PMK he started losing control of the situation. There were at least a dozen people, if not more, that had a better understanding of how to run an operation that large and also organize the huge number of trolling assbags like myself that just wanted to see what a PMK was all about from the beginning of the server.

Is there even a PR department at Wurm anymore? Because all I ever see as far as exposure for this game, is hit pieces from disgruntled ex-players and the odd revisit from gaming mags that are clearly having a slow news week.

That is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me. Thank you for your kindness.

• Like 2

I enjoyed reading about Wosso's time on wurm, being one of those players that have played with him and both shared fun and disaster, ( Pto problems ) It was an interesting read that in my point of view showed a lot about the person behind wosso's character. 

My opinion about wurm is that it clearly needs an reboot , there's just too much things that should be changed to allow for better and faster gameplay. Sure, the elite few will say that it's fine and dandy, but it would be a lot better if changes where made so that people didn't feel they had to 24/7 grind in order to be able to pvp or make decent things, but at the same time those that did spend a lot of time should get some rewards.

Bite the bullet and go through 2007 all over again? Ehh I dunno... :(

Granted those trinkets and the leather armor from them actually did help a bit.

EDIT: Personally the only good arguments I ever heard for resets were to wipe the slate clean of abused skillgain. Unfortunately such also hurts legitimate skillgain, not to mention there's no guarantee all gain exploits have been patched. <_<

Edited by shakys
accusations

I think it was an accurate and honest article, and definitely an interesting read, so if you find his story to be "bad for the game" that's just pure irony since that is the game. Not every article about Wurm has to be a forced "come play with us" crapfest where we pretend everything is sunshine puppies and friendly encounters: Wossoo is free to give an honest recount of his own experiences in the game. I think that many of us who've played for longer than 2 years can recognize many of the things he's talking about, even as PvE players.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2016 at 5:08 PM, Tristanc said:

Rock Paper Shotgun has published a feature 'Ridealong' article where one of their writers (not one with much experience with Wurm Online, it would seem) has a ridealong with veteran Wurm Online character Wossoo's player.  I'm afraid it's a bit wistful and sad, as if looking back to the 'good old days' of the past, but here's the link for those interested in reading.

Ridealong: The Last King Of Wurm Online

Article is not bad, but it should of been titled 'Wurm Obituary' as that is what it is, very depressing. Anyone watching this would not know about the other servers which actually are filled with active players.

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Article is not bad, but it should of been titled 'Wurm Obituary' as that is what it is, very depressing. Anyone watching this would not know about the other servers which actually are filled with active players.

Might be  a bit of a stretch to use the phrase "filled with active players.". Perhaps something a little bit more accurate would be "that have actual players"

Bit of a necro but I saw this thread and read the article with some interest.  I first ran into Wossoo in Kyara when Amara and Draugwynn graciously offered to let me crash there in what turned out to be his house.  I recall him running in saying hey, claiming to be the King of Lomaner and rushing out and then never really saw him again for a long time but it did leave a bit of an impression.  I had met Amara and Draugwynn along with AgentUsp at an Indy deed owned by Ryuu when they were slumming over there.  At the time it seemed like we'd known each other for a while but looking back at it over the years it was just a blip.

Fast forward a bit and along comes Epic, when I see Wossoo is going to form Lomaner I figured ok that'll work.   The history of Lomaner on Epic is a bit of a frustrating story but I did find the last part of the history rather poignant.   AgentUsp ended up being the second king and from the article "However, it wasn’t long before that player too gave up the weight of ruling. Under the third inheritor things in Lomaner slowly dissolved.".

On a personal note, I find the foot note status of the final demise of the kingship to be one of the more interesting parts of the article.  It brings home to me how great Wurm is in it's longevity, how small events can seem from far enough away and how, much like real life,  seemingly innocuous events at the time (i.e. meeting Wossoo in Kyara) can lead to more significant ones in the future.   I stepped away from Wurm almost 2 years ago to focus more on RL (and a bit of burnout), it wasn't till I recently came poking around that I realized it actually been that long and yet there are still many names I recognize, and of course many of the same forum arguments, but it's still Wurm.

Thank you Wossoo for doing something that generated a bit of Wurm history.  While it may not have turned out as you hoped it's indelibly part of lore now and I'm glad I got to play a small part.

Thorsen (third and last King of Lomaner) Belthize

• Like 1

I remember the first days of epic.

I joined Lomaner as part of a group of players known as Legion of Lomaner, a rather rowdy group made up of old pvp veterans and a few players new to pvp but willing to learn. Ok, I was the only one. Posteh loved to read my application in teamspeak as I apparently was the only one that actually applied to join their group as the rest were veterans that were invited to join. We intended to be the fighting wing of the kingdom.

On day 1, we set out for the white light and then headed west to the mountain across a desert to build our village. The rest of the kingdom followed and that spot ended up becoming the first capital of Lomaner. We moved around to the other side of the mountain and began working on 1 crafting skill per person and our fighting skills while the rest of the kingdom focused almost purely on crafting. On day 2 we set out and began raiding JK and MR villages as these were the closest enemy kingdoms to us. We had a lot of success and stifled their abilities to create much of a foothold on Elevation. BL apparently was doing the same thing. JK and MR villages were getting hit sometimes several times a day.  We repelled several attacks and gave Lomaner a lot of security. The crafters in the kingdom continued to focus purely on grinding their crafting skills. We saw that these crafters were trading their wares to eachother. People who had not stepped foot into battle were walking around with 50ql weapons and 50ql chain (the best gear on the server at the time) while we, the fighters and protectors of the kingdom were still fighting with 30ql equipment at best. Struggling to keep the fighters supplied, we asked for new and better equipment. They offered to sell it to us. A rift in the kingdom was formed. 

Finally the wemp was ripe. This meant big things for pvp. Rope for HORSES, BOWS and BOATS. However, the crafters were now handing out wemp amongst themselves. This was the straw that broke the camels back. It was apparent that the kingdom did not value the safety and security we provided so we converted BL and promptly raided them knowing that they had stockpiles of weapons and armor as well as tools and crops(cotton and wemp) since they had been so well protected that they were able to focus purely on crafting all this time.

BL had a similar situation with a large group of their fighters leaving their capital deed. After a while our two fighter groups formed a new kingdom of fighters that worked together. This kingdom was known as The Mongol Empire. The Mongols were the most successful kingdom Epic ever had. During my time with these players, I went from a complete pvp newbie to amassing something around 500ish kills with only a hand full of deaths.

This is my story.

Tryfaen 'The Horse Lord' of The Mongol Empire

Spoiler

8GxKIih.jpg

azI8Z5T.jpg

2C8WHfv.jpg

lX5QptU.jpg

Edited by Tryfaen
  • Like 4

I see this thread about an article about an event on Wurm Online has been moved to the Wood Scraps section now.

The Wood Scraps section is the one defined as 'Its the bit that's left! Non-Wurmian stuff like other games, movies, the weather, or what you had for breakfast.'   Emphasis on Non-Wurmian stuff.

I'd urge the move to be reconsidered and the thread returned to the General forum. As the original poster who started the thread, the desire was to keep it relevant to a published article about events on Wurm Online with Wassoo, one of the players of the game.  If subsequent posts have somehow strayed into  Non-Wurmian stuff, then readers please correct those posts rather than having the entire thread being moved.  Thank you.

Edited by Tristanc