Sign in to follow this  
Tristanc

Rock Paper Shotgun Ridealong with Wossoo article

Rock Paper Shotgun has published a feature 'Ridealong' article where one of their writers (not one with much experience with Wurm Online, it would seem) has a ridealong with veteran Wurm Online character Wossoo's player.  I'm afraid it's a bit wistful and sad, as if looking back to the 'good old days' of the past, but here's the link for those interested in reading.

Ridealong: The Last King Of Wurm Online

• Like 1

The way it was presented to me was that it would be focussed on my Wurm story, which itself is essentially at an end. So yes that part of things might be sad because of course I will be looking back to the 'good old days' of my past 11 years around here.

I did try though to ensure he knew that Wurm as a whole is not necessarily as deserted as Serenity. It may not have came across very well since, as I say, his focus was my story not the game itself.

I only hope the story highlights the very unique aspect of Wurm where you really can create a story and an adventure like that, and I hope more players do decide to have a bit more fun and to think a little bit bigger and do some crazy things like I did.

• Like 6

i felt it was an accurate representation of a game which has lost 42% of its playerbase and continuing to do so. (way more than half of its pvp playerbase)

to be expected though, a lot of people grow up and get busy and it is a trend for stuff here to not get the attention it needs until its years past due.

Edited by Propheteer

No single mention about the current path Wurm Online is taking towards a more PvE oriented game. A shame, it makes Wurm sound like it's already dead, when the only thing dead is the PvP.

• Like 5

Decent article and well written, I think it could help numbers maybe but it might also put them off. Not many people are interested in a dead game, this article kind of paints that image well. I personally liked the history in this article. Few things I got out of this, need to be able to ride a bull as a newbie. Make it happen. Make combat more interactive for newer players. I agree with the guy who said the UI is cumbersome, so make the UI less annoying? Let's face it everything about this article is true, only game mechanic changes and correct advertising will correct player retention. 

You can sell fish for money in Wurm?

Ah Serenity... fun times.

Even saw one of my old hidey holes for stashing loot.

1 hour ago, Niki said:

Decent article and well written, I think it could help numbers maybe but it might also put them off. Not many people are interested in a dead game, this article kind of paints that image well. I personally liked the history in this article. Few things I got out of this, need to be able to ride a bull as a newbie. Make it happen. Make combat more interactive for newer players. I agree with the guy who said the UI is cumbersome, so make the UI less annoying? Let's face it everything about this article is true, only game mechanic changes and correct advertising will correct player retention. 

You can sell fish for money in Wurm?

on epic there was a small market as it was much less carpal-tunnel inducing to just buy a shitload of filets to tame with instead of like soup in reed pen, and fish happened to be common.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

sorry. I echoed this in the Scribes corner i didn't know this thread existed.
linking this post and apologizing there.

Edited by Steveleeb

2 hours ago, Niki said:

Make combat more interactive for newer players

Or make it more interactive for older player

Fight Option GUI is 99% boring as no one really touches it unless they are fighting Champions and above

FightOptionsGUI.png

• Like 1

Guessing they are talking about the Crown of Might which can dominate dragons

7 hours ago, Xalorum said:

There's an artifact that allows you to summon a dragon?

6 hours ago, enoofu said:

Guessing they are talking about the Crown of Might which can dominate dragons

Correct, but it can no longer dominate uniques of any sort or valrei creatures.

You can thank Joemog for using the Red to grief a whole village of new players out of the game instead of just using it for the occasional pvp event.

• Like 1

Only 5 percent of the Wurm population play on PvP servers. But of course they interview a PvP'er who gets to tell about how Wurm is a game where players get " killed by other players, over and over and over.

That is so counterproductive that it makes you want to weep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cista said:

Only 5 percent of the Wurm population play on PvP servers. But of course they interview a PvP'er who gets to tell about how Wurm is a game where players get " killed by other players, over and over and over.

That is so counterproductive that it makes you want to weep.

At that point in my Wurm adventure the game was 100% PvP so there is literally no other way it could have been expressed, because that is how it was.

• Like 1

Wurm is as multi faceted as the players who play it.

When you seek pvp, you find it.

When you wish to whatever else, it can be found.

This game has always been about the stories that come between and about the massive projects, rather than the infinite grind, for me. I appreciate tales from every corner of Wurm.

Thanks, Wossoo.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Wossoo said:

At that point in my Wurm adventure the game was 100% PvP so there is literally no other way it could have been expressed, because that is how it was.

Yes, sorry, I am not trying to disapprove your history with the game. And for Wurm players it is a fun read.

This article is just not going to bring any new player to try Wurm with that description of PvP and the state of the game, and the magazine surely won't do another article on Wurm for the next 5 years.

Edited by Cista
  • Like 2

Nice read, but Cista got a point..

What message got out?

That you will be killed over and over again by players.. Full of mean people, and now there are only 20 players left.

If you were someone, who reads first time about Wurm.. would you be tempted to join. *shrug*

If you want to do smart marketing.. this is NOT a way to do it.

• Like 4

True enough. The article is a poor representation of the state Wurm has been in for years and what it has to offer aside from pvp. More just a melancholy journey of one child to young man and their ambition to be admired/followed by others. Those who play the PvE side of the game will see way beyond the narrowed vision of this tale; however, I think those who know nothing of the game will be little encouraged to see for themselves by its content.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Made me angry to read that bit selfish crap. Between the lines: "Game was good when i was king and now its dying"

5 minutes ago, Ulost said:

Made me angry to read that bit selfish crap. Between the lines: "Game was good when i was king and now its dying"

Pretty sure everyone is saying the epic servers need attention

Epic was billed as having better PVE fights and Balanced PVP, basically the end game Freedom Servers were missing outside of Chaos

I've got no more love to lose for this game, however, this article does not paint a pretty picture of health for Wurm. I'm not sure the author was looking for someone to highlight Wurm in any positive manner. Instead, the article looks like a hit piece, with an unsuspecting boob at the butt end of the joke.

In all my experience dealing with Wossoo, I've never found him to be one who could be considered to have even a rudimentary command of the mechanics nor the politics behind the game. His delusions of a long struggle to start a kingdom of his own made me laugh all the way through this entire article. He was a GM that started the first thread to make a PMK in Epic...that about sums it up. Within the first 24 hours of planting the deed and making the PMK he started losing control of the situation. There were at least a dozen people, if not more, that had a better understanding of how to run an operation that large and also organize the huge number of trolling assbags like myself that just wanted to see what a PMK was all about from the beginning of the server.

Is there even a PR department at Wurm anymore? Because all I ever see as far as exposure for this game, is hit pieces from disgruntled ex-players and the odd revisit from gaming mags that are clearly having a slow news week.

• Like 2

Pretty interesting read.

However I feel as though it could have been presented differently/better. As is this article will surely do nothing to bring in new players that read it.

The writer was definitely given (or is simply presenting) a misleading perspective on the game, considering it was the more... abandoned of the two clusters.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1