header.png

Fairyshine's Pink Palace (Party goats?)

Hi Everyone!

This week marks what will be most likely the final server update prior to the release of 1.3, (with the exception of a hotfix or two) as the dev team shifts focus on ensuring all features in 1.3 come out smoothly, so a few patch notes then on with the news!

Spoiler
October 13, 2016
  • Added additional checks to prevent unattended combat skill gain. Skill gain will now stop after a period of time with a cooldown per animal.
  • Added additional checks for BL player gods to address alignment issues when changing gods.
  • Zombie infestation can no longer be cast on PvE servers.
  • Bugfix: Removed “add to crafting window” option on trebuchet.
  • Bugfix: Disabled battle camp and dueling ring push/pull actions which had no effect.
  • Bugfix: Can now repair a boat while commanding it.
  • Bugfix: Aiming ability is now recalculated correctly after switching weapons in combat.
  • Bugfix: Corrected characteristic skills showing as 20 instead of 30 for characters that have lost premium.
  • Bugfix: Corrected several text grammar and spacing mistakes.
  • Bugfix: Planting flowers will no longer use all flowers if queued on a single tile.

Herb gardens!

Of course, cooking just isn't the same without all sorts of herbs and spices, and a long requested feature is the herb garden, so this week we'll be looking at those.

The following is an excerpt by Pandalet, with information on spices (Thanks Pandalet for the hard work!)

All herbs and spices may be found by foraging or botanizing.  In addition, some may be planted in a pottery planter to create a harvest-able bush.  Herb bushes planted in planters will die over time, although regular harvesting will make them last longer.

planters.png

Some potted herbs

The following herbs are available:

Spoiler

Basil - may be planted
Belladonna - may be planted
Lovage - may be planted
Nettles
Oregano - may be planted
Parsley - may be planted
Rosemary - may be planted
Sage - may be planted
Sassafras
Thyme - may be planted
Fennel - may be planted
Mint - may be planted

The following spices are available:

Spoiler

Cumin - may be planted
Ginger - may be planted
Nutmeg
Paprika - may be planted
Turmeric
Fennel seed

As you can see, there's a lot more ingredients to play with, and brings a whole new area to gardening!

All abuzz
A few have been asking about domestic or wild hives, and commenting that they'd like to have domestic bees. This is possible, and will be a part of the 1.3 update, I'll sit down with Tich this week and get all the low down on the rumours buzzing around (okay okay I'll stop the puns).

New Test Servers

As previously mentioned, we'll be updating our test servers for this new system, so I'm pleased to announce the names of the test servers, Baphomet and Oracle! We're in the process of having them set up by our dev team, then will ensure everything runs smoothly before opening them to players for testing the cooking features and other parts of the 1.3 update!

This weeks community content comes from a massive Wurm Unlimited project on KangaWU, with a network of bridges spanning a whopping 231 tiles, or 11% of the map!

Why would anyone build such a massive bridge system? Unicorns of course!

Spoiler

bridge.png

That's it for this week, I'll continue to work on bringing you all the sneak peeks and insight into what's coming with 1.3, and make sure you're as prepared with knowledge and excitement as possible! Until then though, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 27

mint. mmm. nice new stuff. The bear approves :)

but seriously, no more zombies on freedom, awww, it's too close to Halloween to remove them. dang it. 

Edited by polarbear

*and we nerfed shield training to create more hassle for legit players - Capitals/deeds with breeding won't allow for somebody to bring 5-10 personal animals to switch to [3 hour cool down?] so ye, you bugged up!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

*and we nerfed shield training to create more hassle for legit players - Capitals/deeds with breeding won't allow for somebody to bring 5-10 personal animals to switch to [3 hour cool down?] so ye, you bugged up!

It's already been stated a few places, but I'll add here:

The "nerf" came from addressing an exploit, which is better done sooner than later while we work on improving shield skill gains.

We're in the process of working with a system promoting actually fighting to gain skill instead of relying on creatures in pens.

This means that you will not be able to shield train for hours on a single creature, but skillgain will be designed to flow much easier.

• Like 6

Hooray for Herbs and Spices!!!  I've been wanting this for quite a while, and now it looks like I need to get working converting my little farmhouse to a gourmet kitchen.  :D

Quick question regarding the planted ones, will skill determine the quality of the harvested herbs and spices that are planted, or will it still be random like when we go out digging in the grass?

• Like 1

Good stuff! I really like how far the cooking update branches (beekeeping, herb planting, barrels sealing, ...)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

The "nerf" came from addressing an exploit, which is better done sooner than later while we work on improving shield skill gains.

We're in the process of working with a system promoting actually fighting to gain skill instead of relying on creatures in pens.

This means that you will not be able to shield train for hours on a single creature, but skillgain will be designed to flow much easier.

If you mean it will be trained like a weapon skill - Then I'm sure that fix/UPDATE of the skill would be welcomed because even standing at a pen is probably the most inactive-boring-gameplay one could ask for. If it gets people off deed and roaming around, sure, i'll take that.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Fair enough with the reasoning but surely are better ways to have addressed said exploit without completely messing with shield training until a fix can be put in place. After-all a major mechanic change to shield skilgain will takes months if not years...

Heck the whole thing with shield training has been nerfed already enough in the past. All that's happening now is another unnecessary window of opportunity with no clear path forward or plans from the dev team as to how to tackle the real issue.  

• Like 9

Any news on what skill will be used for harvesting/caring for potted plants like those herbs? Gardening or maybe botanizing?

EDIT: Also, paprika is made out of dried ground peppers. Does that mean we can grow peppers, or is it some kind of magic bush that spits out dried powder?

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Emoo said:

Fair enough with the reasoning but surely are better ways to have addressed said exploit without completely messing with shield training until a fix can be put in place. After-all a major mechanic change to shield skilgain will takes months if not years...

Heck the whole thing with shield training has been nerfed already enough in the past. All that's happening now is another unnecessary window of opportunity with no clear path forward or plans from the dev team as to how to tackle the real issue.  

The change to shield skillgain will be in with the 1.3 update at the latest.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Any news on what skill will be used for harvesting/caring for potted plants like those herbs? Gardening or maybe botanizing?

EDIT: Also, paprika is made out of dried ground peppers. Does that mean we can grow peppers, or is it some kind of magic bush that spits out dried powder?

gardening

And most likely the latter, in a world where we shape glowing hot metal by mashing it with our hands, paprika is its own plant

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Nettles
Oregano - may be planted
Parsley - may be planted
Rosemary - may be planted
Sage - may be planted
Sassafras

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Nutmeg
Paprika - may be planted
Turmeric
Fennel seed

And so, Nettles, Sassafras, Nutmeg, Turmeric and Fennel seed may NOT be planted, but only obtained by foraging or botanising ?

Herb potting seems a nice addition for those who enjoy fiddling with such things. I wish they would last permanently in their pots though as I would prefer them more for decorative purposes. Like those flower pots where all you need do is water them occasionally if on deed. Or even enable them to be created in those long narrow flowerbed type structures.

=Ayes= 

Nice! I'm excited to get my own little apiary and herb garden up.

• Like 1

Would be nice to have Carp. or Fine Carpenters be able to build raised beds for these herbs. Have different size raised beds  that we could even  bring indoor for growing.  Just  my 2 cents :)

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Arka said:

Would be nice to have Carp. or Fine Carpenters be able to build raised beds for these herbs. Have different size raised beds  that we could even  bring indoor for growing.  Just  my 2 cents :)

More love for the Carpenters!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

a network of bridges spanning a whopping 231 tiles, or 11% of the map

231 tiles is 11 % of the map? I think that figure is a bit ambitious ;) (it really is just oddly phrased).

Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 1

I saw somewhere that we may be able to plant woad in flowerpots. Is that on track for 1.3 or am I just imagining things?

Edited by Karthannar
  • Like 6

Valhalla descendants north bridge on ele was longer

Fix bridges pls 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

gardening

And most likely the latter, in a world where we shape glowing hot metal by mashing it with our hands, paprika is its own plant

Can't argue with that! I do love a nice set of glowing hot armor in the winter though!

Two similar bridges already exist on Release, in WO.  Why?  'Cause some people hate sailing and love their supersonic carts.  

Seabreezes bridge and Yuri's bridge both are most likely over 200 tiles each. Come try these next time you visit our server :)  Both can be found on the Release map: 

• Like 3

I was only thinking about this yesterday, I wonder how long it will take to arrive in an update for WU, I reckon about a year LOL

10 hours ago, Budda said:

The change to shield skillgain will be in with the 1.3 update at the latest.

That is great news indeed. I aplogise for the initial pessimism. 

• Like 1