Sign in to follow this  
elroth

skillgain FS changed with patch notes ?

Many years ago when I first entered these lands I was given some type of sword and a shield. Merrily I went on my way attempting to kill various mobs as best I could and gained some weapon skills from doing so. Oddly I gained no shield skill. This made me realize that the shield was having no effect so I dropped it on the ground and acquired another 1 handed sword for the other hand. Then I heard/read that the offhand weapon had little effect as well and missed more often than not.

So now I decided to use and train with a 2 handed weapon since it occupied both hands and no offhand or shield item was necessary. Yes a 2 hand weapon is a bit slower so the misses won't heal you if it has LT but better a 2 handed weapon than wasting excessive time to train shield for PvE.

Too bad really though because with 100.00 shield skill, 100 medium shield, 100.00 swords skill, 100.00 longsword skill with 90 LT, 100.00 aggressive FS, 71.45 FS and 81 QL cloth armor, Trolls can be killed quite easily because most all of the hits are blocked, with the few that get through healed by the LT at end of fight. This is in WU of course. Just too bad you can never hit all these levels in WO but it shows how all these skills should really work if you could ever reach the impossible here.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

If there's going to be an overhauling to shield skillgain etc please let it be soon and also please also make sure to work on Shield bashing aswell please. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

that is perfectly fine.

This was instances in which you would NEVER be hit, or NEVER strike back.

To clarify for everyone.. I don't know why the Wurm team always beats around the bush with things and cause an uproar from the community... With that said this hotfix was directed towards an actual issue where players were at a different elevation then their targets and were recieving error message but still getting and retaining skill gains. This changes were set in place in relation to stationary skilling and subsequently directly affects what has been considered a normal consistent slow skill gain in what we know as single pen shield training. We now have to use Multi pens. This has a greater affect agasint new players who don't belong to a group or alliance. 

FYI to those interested. Apperently while the error msg was being shown and skill gain was still being given there was no damage associated due to the server registering the action as an error. Hence the endless afk skill gain forever.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aeris said:

I had a character wear a shield for a year, I got tired of it though once it'd hit 70fs and the skill for the shield was still at 1,1. It's impossible to train shield skill without doing the boring pen punching of innocent pigs because if you have little to no shield skill your character doesn't even raise its shield arm in battle, and you can't really shield bash creatures out in the wild when your skill is terrible.

This is going to be fun...

You can shield bash idk what you mean. Sure the starting levels are hard but just press it every time it's up, no reason not to.

• Like 1

Ah yeah, shield bash.. today: [21:55:47] Shield bashing increased  to 22

And I have skilled it only during hunting trips. Of course, I haven't always used onehanded weapons.. but when i have wielded onehanded weapons + shield, i have always shieldbashed, when shieldbash has come available.

Shield skilling with the method of casual hunting is pathetic. I have made a post in the past as I ground a few alts with different ql shields up to 70 fight skill and they barely ever make it to 5 shield skill (infact one did, and that's because I had to put effort in). There's a serious shield skill balance that is required. It's annoying to have to sit in a pen and grind on animals for hours to get moderately good shield skill, and since this is the best method, it sucks there are limits to exp per animal as the dev team tries to push you to hunt animals instead, but the skillgain for hunting animals sucks at low skill. It gets a little better when you have some skill but still terrible.

note: my grind sessions were over a year ago, and I don't believe I've seen much changed in regards to fighting and shields since then.

• Like 2

The first year I played, i used a longsword and large metal shield that Alaskanbob had given me, both with coc and he explained to me how to shield bash every chance I got.  I fought in normal fighting stance.   I since switched to a 2hander, long sword skill is 50ish while my shield skill is a whopping 4.35.  after fighting with it for a year and thats all I have to show for it, nah fug a shield and the pathetic skill gains you get from fighting with it.

To me this just seems lazy ass way of fixing a bug by destroying a legitimate way of grinding shield skill.  Pathetic really pathetic.

• Like 1

We need a shield training dummy like we have an archery target and weapon training dummy to take you to 20 where you can actually use a shield in the wild.

• Like 7

They already started new players at 20 unarmed as it was a Pita, I'll wait and see how the changes play out, but not holding my breath at this point. 

15 hours ago, Audrel said:

We need a shield training dummy like we have an archery target and weapon training dummy to take you to 20 where you can actually use a shield in the wild.

Its up to 30 for archery, wich is even easier to level up than shield.   A dummy for shield training is a great idea, and you should put it in the suggestions thread.  But dummy or not, the skillgain has to be improved.  The devs already said they would implement a way for training really soon, or to be more specific, I asked if there would be a new way of training implemented really soon, and I got a "yes" as response.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Its up to 30 for archery, wich is even easier to level up than shield.   A dummy for shield training is a great idea, and you should put it in the suggestions thread.  But dummy or not, the skillgain has to be improved.  The devs already said they would implement a way for training really soon, or to be more specific, I asked if there would be a new way of training implemented really soon, and I got a "yes" as response.

If you're going to correct someone, you should get the numbers right :x

its 40 for archery and 30 for any given bow.

e: budda said changes will come in the next patch, I'm happy

Edited by Soil

On 2016-10-14 at 9:22 AM, Retrograde said:

Yeah, uh, i dont think fighting chickens is the ideal way to gain shield skills, we'll be improving hunting gains though.

Increased gains would be better if you actually raised your arms while fighting - So that's the first issue to address.

I went through the logs and after 2014 (up until 2015) the shield arm was raised a total of 5 times iirc during combat. Before that (between 2012-2014) It was raised ~15 times. So I was wrong when I said I got to 1,1 in the shield skill during that last year while I was doing to fs grind - Most of it was gained in the two years prior to that, back when the character still raised its shield arm in combat.

Edit: And yes, the character was wearing the shield during the fs grind. It just didn't raise its arm.

Edited by Aeris

Kinda happy this exploit opened the eyes to shield training itself