Sign in to follow this  
elroth

skillgain FS changed with patch notes ?

Patch Notes 13/OCT/16
  • Added additional checks to prevent unattended combat skill gain. Skill gain will now stop after a period of time with a cooldown per animal.

please explain the cooldown...

does that mean i dont get skillgain if i kill 10 same animal in a row?

It's literally impossible to kill the same animal ten times, so no.

• Like 2

lol sort of felt like we had this already since when you've been hunting for over 20 minutes you often stop gaining any stance and weapon skills

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, elroth said:
Patch Notes 13/OCT/16
  • Added additional checks to prevent unattended combat skill gain. Skill gain will now stop after a period of time with a cooldown per animal.

please explain the cooldown...

does that mean i dont get skillgain if i kill 10 same animal in a row?

this should not affect the current skill gained by hunting at all.

same type of animal...

"Skill gain will now stop after a period of time with a cooldown per animal"

-period of time? meaning once i kill a spider i dont get a skillgain for x if i kill another one?

-how long is the cooldown?

hoe does this work exactly? seems like a huge change to me

if you attack 1 animal for about 10mins, you'll stop gaining combat skills from that one (so things like weapon skill, shield skill, stats)

works just fine if you switch to another animal after that, doesn't matter if same type or another

it's to prevent people from afk grinding shield on just 1 animal in a pen

aaah ok thats what they mean.

so they mean same exact animal not type of animal.

bout time they plugged that hole :P

cheers

Unfortunate word choice aside: This isn't likely to actually affect anyone in practice who isn't actively trying to abuse something.

Edited by shakys

3 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Unfortunate word choice aside: This isn't likely to actually affect anyone in practice who isn't actively trying to abuse something.

I wish im wrong too.

Because grinding shields is so exciting without abusing AFK powers.

• Like 6

I had a character wear a shield for a year, I got tired of it though once it'd hit 70fs and the skill for the shield was still at 1,1. It's impossible to train shield skill without doing the boring pen punching of innocent pigs because if you have little to no shield skill your character doesn't even raise its shield arm in battle, and you can't really shield bash creatures out in the wild when your skill is terrible.

This is going to be fun...

• Like 9

I tried fighting hens in a pen a couple of times earlier to gain shield skill. But I found the skillgain to be very poor compared to be out hunting normally.

With this change I guess it is even worse.

10 minutes ago, griper said:

I tried fighting hens in a pen a couple of times earlier to gain shield skill. But I found the skillgain to be very poor compared to be out hunting normally.

With this change I guess it is even worse.

Yeah, uh, i dont think fighting chickens is the ideal way to gain shield skills, we'll be improving hunting gains though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Yeah, uh, i dont think fighting chickens is the ideal way to gain shield skills, we'll be improving hunting gains though.

actually fighting chickens is almost a necessity at early skill levels, and can be quite good to upper mid levels as long as you adjust the difficulty based on ql of your tool (in this case the shield)

Edited by platinumteef

Keep in mind that your horse's tail being in your face while you ride a cart is an "exploit" and that is why carts don't follow terrain...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Aeris said:

I had a character wear a shield for a year, I got tired of it though once it'd hit 70fs and the skill for the shield was still at 1,1. It's impossible to train shield skill without doing the boring pen punching of innocent pigs because if you have little to no shield skill your character doesn't even raise its shield arm in battle, and you can't really shield bash creatures out in the wild when your skill is terrible.

This is going to be fun...

Keep in mind that you pit fight that pig unarmed because the gains are so damn slow that if you kill it in two hits, you won't use your shield for anything. I parry more than I shield.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Audrel said:

Keep in mind that you pit fight that pig unarmed because the gains are so damn slow that if you kill it in two hits, you won't use your shield for anything. I parry more than I shield.

Hmm.. here is a point.

Enki's WSA.

"It is possible to devise scenarios with unintended methods to enter combat with creatures that prevent them from being able to do normal harm to you and your equipment, or prevent yourself from doing normal intended harm to them.  Such scenarios are clearly not intended and can lead to the permanent ban of your avatars when caught using such a method."

I think it would be good to know, what IS intended harm. If someone is training weaponless fighting, and using a shield.. is this bannable offence now?

10 minutes ago, rixk said:

Hmm.. here is a point.

Enki's WSA.

"It is possible to devise scenarios with unintended methods to enter combat with creatures that prevent them from being able to do normal harm to you and your equipment, or prevent yourself from doing normal intended harm to them.  Such scenarios are clearly not intended and can lead to the permanent ban of your avatars when caught using such a method."

I think it would be good to know, what IS intended harm. If someone is training weaponless fighting, and using a shield.. is this bannable offence now?

I shield train with plate on, no weapon, and a very low QL shield with CoC on it (dunno if it even works on shields). The whole point of the exercise is to not kill the bull/bison and not be killed by it because you want it to hit your shield - which takes a ton of damage and will turn to dust if you don't keep an eye on it. The whole point in training defense period is to prevent or mitigate normal damage.

I would also like a firm definition of what "normal intended harm" is. My fist hits as hard as it is intended to hit. The bison hits as hard as it is intended to hit. My shield takes a bigger beating than human and bison combined.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

that is perfectly fine.

This was instances in which you would NEVER be hit, or NEVER strike back.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

that is perfectly fine.

This was instances in which you would NEVER be hit, or NEVER strike back.

so then, how do you create that type of scenario?

Edited by KyleBooze

6 minutes ago, KyleBooze said:

so then, how do you create that type of scenario?

You mean "how do I do this thing that's considered an exploit"? Bold move cotton, let's see how this plays out.

• Like 3

So, is there going to be a proper way of raising shield skill implemented really soon, or is this going to be considered YET ANOTHER of the windows of opportunity that people love so much ?

31 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

So, is there going to be a proper way of raising shield skill implemented really soon, or is this going to be considered YET ANOTHER of the windows of opportunity that people love so much ?

yes

• Like 2

If theres going to be a new legit method that is actually better than the current one and more engaging [no switching animals isnt engaging] then that's cool...Something along the lines of weapon training would be nice to see.