Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 13/OCT/16

7 minutes ago, SeeD said:

I agree, lets drop all shield skills down to 50!

That's ... a solution. Might be overkill though. TWIMC I already have my main shield trained as far as I want it, I was doing the others for fun and the meta skill titles, so I have benefited from this window.

38 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

You can gain shield skill on new animals, just not sit at the same one. (a.k.a. unattended play)

This makes it so frustrating based on the fact that after like 60 skill its an hour per skillpoint, you need 70 to be viable in pvp but most people shoot for 90.

Time to go back to encouraging new players to use exploits and alts to circumvent this change, because otherwise they will likely quit when they realize it will take them much more effort and time to catch up to the rest of the pvp population.

If you want to encourage people to not afk one of the slower grinds, maybe increase the skillgain for it instead?

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

I agree, drop shield skills to 0, make everyone start off fresh, that'll avoid the window of opportunity.

If you're hunting in the wild its easy to move from creature to creature, if you expected hours spent letting a creature thrash at you to be considered intended play then you're wrong.

Plus, wasn't this "fixed" before? This is just another exploit/loophole being closed, which a lot will need to be done in order to allow the game to advance.

TL;DR allowing broken and poor mechanics to remain because they're the norm will kill the game much faster than fixing them

Just now, Propheteer said:

You have no idea what you're on about, that much is clear or you would know about the changes made to this previously.

By their logic, leveling, meditation, and repairing heavily damaged items need to be looked at too as they encourage unattended play.

prob should limit fishing to 3 action queue no matter what your mind logic is too, too much "unattended gameplay" in that as well

• Like 5

1 minute ago, platinumteef said:

prob should limit fishing to 3 action queue no matter what your mind logic is too, too much "unattended gameplay" in that as well

as a person with 100 fishing.... Hahahahaha.

I played 2 characters while doing fishing becouse the one fishing required 0 interaction.

Just set up wurm assistant to notify me when the action queue was completed and thats it.

fishing = macroing

mmeditating = macroing

leveling= macroing 

its all macroing if u have a long queue

• Like 1

vey nice work! Now i can stop playing Wurm, i will never become a good fighter!  THX

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 2

if the term macro is a sore point I'm happy to remove that.

Also, needing to move to another creature every 10-15 minutes is pretty much the same as queuing 5 fishing actions.

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

Also, needing to move to another creature every 10-15 minutes is pretty much the same as queuing 5 fishing actions.

The stopping combat after x minutes makes me wonder, if i'm tanking a unique will i just stop blocking?

If i'm in PvP with MR for 8 minutes (usually the same person for special moves), will i just stop blocking and get murked and die?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Propheteer said:

The stopping combat after x minutes makes me wonder, if i'm tanking a unique will i just stop blocking?

If i'm in PvP with MR for 8 minutes (usually the same person for special moves), will i just stop blocking and get murked and die?

you don't stop blocking at all, you'll stop gaining skill from blocking.

Just now, Retrograde said:

you don't stop blocking at all, you'll stop gaining skill from blocking.

But you currently stop blocking entirely, including stam loss? Is that an oversight?

Edited by Propheteer

You already had to walk away enough distance to regain stamina and return to the animal.... The only thing this changes is that you need more animals and more fences. The question is why you want us to have more animals and more fences for that

The one with most farm animals wins?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Except if you got a 3h timer and 10 min skill-cutoff then that requires each player to train on 18 animals...

anyone wanting to get shieldskill would need a small herd of animals >_>

everyone would need a 3rd party tool for assistance with knowing when to switch target to optimize skillgain.

Also shields break, water/hunger lowers, stamina drains...

Why does it need a ton of animals?

Also none of this is obvious for new players... nothing.

You are relying on them hearing from olders players that the game has really weirdass mechanics for shieldskill.

Edited by Zekezor

1 minute ago, Zekezor said:

Except if you got a 3h timer and 10 min skill-cutoff then that requires each player to train on 18 animals...

anyone wanting to get shieldskill would need a small herd of animals >_>

everyone would need a 3rd party tool for assistance with knowing when to switch target to optimize skillgain.

Also shields break, water/hunger lowers, stamina drains...

Why does it need a ton of animals?

Or you could do it in the wild, and move from creature to creature, like you need to do with other combat skills

12 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Or you could do it in the wild, and move from creature to creature, like you need to do with other combat skills

Except 10 hours of hunting on sleep bonus isn't even a point of shieldskill half a point of shieldskill for the average pvp account?

The whole reason people don't do it in the wild to begin with is because it gives no skill.

Not to mention you need to carry training shields to even have half a chance at getting remotely noticable gains while hunting, and a training shield will blow up in like under 5 or 6 hits to certain mobs lol....

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 6

except the amount of shield skill you gain is atrocious compared to other combat skills

as has been pointed out over the years in various threads, in this thread too

• Like 2

^yes because u can move everywhere on chaos and not die?

and also iv seen a troll about 5 shot a training shield so we going to carry around 90 shields so we can train

I think to get to 90 LMS it took me 2.5? years and about 3-5 1h 90 weapon grinds (no pen training) It's possible but insanely slow.

• Like 4

so umm, now that shield training is like this, can you make it so we can get shield bashing from bred animals? I don't even know why you don't already, it literally makes no difference. Currently you have to go look for wild animals if you want to grind shieldbashing.

• Like 1

Right now you stop blocking when the gains stop, Don't think thats intended as part of the fix. This also means new players will realistically need 2-3 years of grinding to be okay in PVP. Unrealistic, and shield skill is a requirement for PVP

wonder why the staff that is shilling for these types of changes thinks that changing skill/valrei/item or skill possesion mechanics will do anything at this point as people have used this type of skilling/gotten items for some years now and the only players that are affected by it is new ones as the damage is already done

Edited by changer
  • Like 3

welp, if the expected behavior (sandbox lulz?!) is to go hunting, the shield gains need to be fixed and be similar to the weapons gain... yah, abusing broken mechanisms is bad... well, why not fix the broken mechanism like those :

This type of scenario allows someone to create a situation in which they can gain fighting skills without harm to themselves and by bypass intended mechanics that should cause harm to your avatar health, damage to your weapons and armor, and allow long term and potentially unattended skill gain activity

instead of utterly destroying any chances of skill gains.

When you are training shields in a pen, generally you do back out to regain stamina or even to heal yourself or the critter.  Your slaps might have hurt him some....  When you are fishing you have to hit the que and fill it up again but you don't have to move down the shore.  So why am I moving for the shields?  Guess that is a discussion for another day and a few more beer.

Just now, Odynn said:

welp, if the expected behavior (sandbox lulz?!) is to go hunting, the shield gains need to be fixed and be similar to the weapons gain... yah, abusing broken mechanisms is bad... well, why not fix the broken mechanism like those :

instead of utterly destroying any chances of skill gains.

this was fixing the broken mechanics

this was fixing the broken mechanics

So it is intended to take over a few months to get 70+ shieldskill by hunting in the wild?